U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Reputation: 24745

Advertisements

Never have done it...YET! I may some day! I have always done my own and I have good nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines
1,866 posts, read 2,416,510 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I get mani's and pedi's regularly and I treat myself to a spa day at least once a month.
Thank you you fellow Californian.

Most of these comments are horrifying. The amount of women out there that refuse to get a pedi. There's some nasty looking feet on these boards. Whatever u do at home is not what you get out of a shop. I think most of you of you have those Carrie Fisher feet the way it sounds. Just spend the cash and don't be cheap, I mean you can have natural fingernails if they are clear but personal paint jobs never work.Tacky, tacky. There's a reason most men don't cut they're own hair (except for baldies). It's not meant to be. At the very least I hope you are keeping socks on with your partners.

GO GET THOSE MANI'S and PEDI'S and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Reputation: 48613
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Thank you you fellow Californian.

Most of these comments are horrifying. The amount of women out there that refuse to get a pedi. There's some nasty looking feet on these boards. Whatever u do at home is not what you get out of a shop. I think most of you of you have those Carrie Fisher feet the way it sounds. Just spend the cash and don't be cheap, I mean you can have natural fingernails if they are clear but personal paint jobs never work.Tacky, tacky. There's a reason most men don't cut they're own hair (except for baldies). It's not meant to be. At the very least I hope you are keeping socks on with your partners.

GO GET THOSE MANI'S and PEDI'S and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Are you serious?

It is exceptionally easy to paint your own nails and soak your own feet. It's not really necessary to hire people to do it for you.

"Horrifying?" Pffft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 12:58 AM
 
1,389 posts, read 545,508 times
Reputation: 2280
I've never gotten either. Not interested, and I keep my fingernails very short. Cannot even see any white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 AM
 
1,012 posts, read 947,852 times
Reputation: 2055
Back in the early '90s, I used to have acrylics for a couple of years. I loved having long nails!
And then I had one bad experience, and off they came.

I would love to have pedicures in summer, but I'm freaked out by all the stories about hygiene in the salon.
How do you choose a safe one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 03:00 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Reputation: 17862
My fingernails are very brittle and damage easily. My toenails, on the other hand, (lol) are as hard as iron.

When I was appearing on stage, I used to have acrylic finger nails, not overly long. I kept up the maintenance every couple of weeks and only once did I ever have red polish. (That was for a show I was doing on Valentine's Day.) I no longer do the acrylic nails and I file my own and use a very pale polish.

I have never had a pedi, reason being that I flinch whenever I think about anyone touching my feet. I would like to try it but it creeps me out. Problem is, I may have to bite the bullet because as I age, it becomes harder and harder to clip my own toenails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 04:07 AM
 
473 posts, read 283,583 times
Reputation: 324
Yes I had pedicures when unable to do my own toe nails for a while after back injury. Then I found out female should cut her own toe nails 2 days before pedicures so nicks heal first and leave legs hairy for appointment to avoid getting an infection from these machines. Some even got leg infections from shaving before pedicures. AFter a friend got the permanently yellow nail thing and it started to get gross, I gave up the practice as the manicurists here got so rough it really was a problem to even see it as okay when whole thing got me bleeding due to fragile skin...Can try VICKS on nasty toe nails at night and sleep in socks but is REALLY had to treat and the RX can sometimes cause kidneys to fail.

Best investment is some good nail polish like OPY at $8-10 which stays on great. ALSO, EACH ADULT NEEDS HIS/HER OWN CLIPPERS/FILES in order NOT to spread the cooties. Kids can use the adults equipment if all looks okay. I found the tub of warm water at home with shot of nice smelling shower gel and some lotion added did a great job without making me wonder. Do feet massage and paint away on each other.....Will want two tubs for adults and let dry completely between treatments. As a regular Sunday thing, the expensive polish would last 2-4 weeks on feet.

I could never get manicures to last more than 1-2 days so seems worthless. Found it VERY easy to trim back my own finger cuticles which seem to grow abnormally fast after a hot soak in tub. I would just push cuticles back and trim it to nail.

(Really want to know, can get bad infection same way from US lakes now which has even been fatal to healthy people so would use the mountain man look and grow out beard while camping if you swim or water ski. Or use electric razor.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Reputation: 18777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I never have. I won a gift card for a free mani-pedi, and still didn't go. Why? I had no idea what the procedure is and felt like a complete dork asking. Like, do they remove the old polish, or do I need to show up with it removed and my nails trimmed? Are we supposed to talk during the ordeal? Do I tip them? How do I know which services to ask for? Am I expected to leave right away, or do I hang around until my nails are dry? I see this as an international incident in the making.

They will remove your polish, trim or cut nails, file them, soak hands & feet, push back and/or trim any thick cuticles, use foot file for any callouses or thick skin on heels. Then they will moisturize hands & feet and apply polish. Usually you go under some kind of heating light to dry the polish for 5-10 minutes.


You can talk to them or not. The Asian places have quiet employees and they don't expect you to make idle chitchat which is great as far as I'm concerned. When your having your pedicure the chair usually has a massaging feature to help you relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 AM
 
984 posts, read 396,903 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
They will remove your polish, trim or cut nails, file them, soak hands & feet, push back and/or trim any thick cuticles, use foot file for any callouses or thick skin on heels. Then they will moisturize hands & feet and apply polish. Usually you go under some kind of heating light to dry the polish for 5-10 minutes.


You can talk to them or not. The Asian places have quiet employees and they don't expect you to make idle chitchat which is great as far as I'm concerned. When your having your pedicure the chair usually has a massaging feature to help you relax.
I wanted to rep this post but couldn't, but perfect explanation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Reputation: 57209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Back in the early '90s, I used to have acrylics for a couple of years. I loved having long nails!
And then I had one bad experience, and off they came.

I would love to have pedicures in summer, but I'm freaked out by all the stories about hygiene in the salon.
How do you choose a safe one?
I understand your concern. I never would go to one of those mall nail places where there is a revolving door of immigrants who dont speak English. Im sure if there was ever a law suit, they would all scatter.

I go to a family owned nail salon now. The people are very nice and the place is very clean. In other words, they have a stake in having high standards. I also like to support these Vietnamese people, who came over here and built a business for their family. Only a few of them are fluent in English, but i dont want a lot of chit chat anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top