U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 PM

2,600 posts, read 1,489,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Thank you you fellow Californian.

Most of these comments are horrifying. The amount of women out there that refuse to get a pedi. There's some nasty looking feet on these boards. Whatever u do at home is not what you get out of a shop. I think most of you of you have those Carrie Fisher feet the way it sounds. Just spend the cash and don't be cheap, I mean you can have natural fingernails if they are clear but personal paint jobs never work.Tacky, tacky. There's a reason most men don't cut they're own hair (except for baldies). It's not meant to be. At the very least I hope you are keeping socks on with your partners.

GO GET THOSE MANI'S and PEDI'S and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
It's not the money. I'd get regular mani/pedis in a heartbeat if I could be 100% certain that I wouldn't get some nasty fungus or infection from sub-par cleanliness. Have you seen the photos of the open sores and decayed looking toenails some women have contracted at nail salons? Disgusting.

That, and I feel like everyone who works there is slowly getting cancer from the fumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 AM

208 posts, read 174,383 times
Nope, I don't place any value on that. Big waste of money.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:34 AM

984 posts, read 397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
That, and I feel like everyone who works there is slowly getting cancer from the fumes.
I've noticed that some of the people who work at the salon I frequent wear those surgical face masks, particularly when doing (I think) acrylics.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:32 PM

34,562 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have acrylics but I don't wear them very long, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch past the nail bed. I have to go every other week as my nails grow very fast. Some people never seem to clean under the nails and it is gross and probably full of germs.

I always wash under my nails with a clean nail brush and soap before I start cooking. When I'm in the shower I run my nails over the bar of soap before I shampoo and then again before bedtime when I slather on the hand crème. I could probably perform surgery with my hands and no gloves but then I'm a bit of a germophobe.
All I know is that when I wear nail polish, I cannot see the dirt under my nails. Im pretty fastidious about stuff like that, so if I'm grossed out with short nails, imagine the crud under long acrylic nails.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,771,653 times
Pedicures, a few times, but I always have my toenails painted. Manicure, by someone else, nope. I do it myself. And just mixed up a dupe for my beloved, long-ago-discontinued Faberge Ceramic Glaze.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Ugh, the fumes are awful. I'm anti-acrylics to begin with, but the fumes from others getting them done...no, thanks.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:49 PM

3,418 posts, read 2,897,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Now that we have the no-pierced ears issue settled, I am emboldened to press on and see if anyone has totally foregone manicures and pedicures? Not excluding you men, but y'know.....

As usual, I'm the weirdo that has never had either. Just.....doesn't interest me.

Girls, are you out there?
Most guys I know (me included) have had pedicures. In all cases we were taken out by the women in our lives with a "Trust me, you are going to love it" comment.

Every now and then my wife drags me along with her and gets the manicure/pedicure package for me along with the foot massage. I love it. Just no polish or clear whatever it is they call it brushed on my nails.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
When I get old enough not to be able to clip my nails short, maybe, but I've never had anyone 'do' them. As a teen I had really long nails, and they are very thick and resistant to breaking. I used polish sometimes but also just oils since they were shiny anyway. But I did/do sewing, crochet and most of all needlework, and especially the needlework and keyboards don't like nails sticking out. I keep clippers by the computer to trim with.

My feet are ticklish and I can't imagine anyone touching my feet. Ugggg.... My nails tend to grow out to the end and then curl under so I prefer to gently trim them myself. And when my feet need some gentle attention, I put a lot of really good cream to soften and socks, and when its all soaked in rub them down good myself.

That's the most I do for hands and feet. I used to wear nail polish now and then, but use it to highlight beads now as I also do beadwork.

I find it interesting that as they/we get older, some women get very preoccupied with stuff like doing the nails and hair and so on with pros. I do dye my hair red (with henna) but do that myself too. And then there are those 'magic' creams which chase away the years. It's interesting that they are openly advertised but many women don't want to own up to using some of the Oil of Olay. Makes one wonder if men 'borrow' a little of it too????

I actually keep my fingernail clippers next to the laptop since its virtually impossible to type reasonably well with nails sticking out.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,655,636 times
I am 53 and have never had a manicure or a pedicure and my nails look great - always thought it was a big waste of money

Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,229,345 times
I've had one manicure (was in someone's wedding and that was part of the whole deal). I've had three pedicures (friends really into them and it was the girl bonding time). Those all happened within about one year, and the other 44 of my years have been without the "...icure" group So I can't claim to be in the "never" group, but I think I'm fairly close to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty