U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:41 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,483,983 times

Advertisements

Cardigan = Secretary.

Wear a blazer with a crisp white blouse and knee length skirt.

Just do it. Once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 PM

219 posts, read 88,373 times
For interviews you always dress a step above what their normal is. If their normal is jeans and a uniform shirt then you wear business casual. If their normal is business casual you wear business professional. It sounds like they wear business casual so I would go ahead and do a suit. The jacket doesn't have to be completely tailored to you just make sure it's not too small or too big. They aren't meant to be comfortable, they're meant to make an impression.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM

8,650 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Update: my outfit ended up being similar to what the interviewer was wearing, lol. The interview itself went well and I got a call back for a second interview... but I ended up declining because the hours are terrible and the position ended up being more sales-oriented than I expected. Maybe if the hours were better I'd take it, but damn it, the whole point of getting an accounting degree was so I wouldn't have sell sh*t to people.

It's okay though; I'm glad I went (I haven't been on a real job interview in many years) and they offered to keep me on file on case something up my alley materializes. Plus, I guess it would be a good idea to take this time to shop for a decent fitting blazer before I get called for anoother interview.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 PM

26,865 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Update: my outfit ended up being similar to what the interviewer was wearing, lol. The interview itself went well and I got a call back for a second interview... but I ended up declining because the hours are terrible and the position ended up being more sales-oriented than I expected. Maybe if the hours were better I'd take it, but damn it, the whole point of getting an accounting degree was so I wouldn't have sell sh*t to people.

It's okay though; I'm glad I went (I haven't been on a real job interview in many years) and they offered to keep me on file on case something up my alley materializes. Plus, I guess it would be a good idea to take this time to shop for a decent fitting blazer before I get called for anoother interview.
Great news! Good luck on the blazer hunt. I feel like I have been looking now for a decade. LOL!

On the up note, in my industry even wearing a blazer (unless it is very hip - no traditional blazers allowed) would be overdressing! You'd get dinged for culture fit.

And I no longer work in the sort of client facing role where you might potentially have a meeting in a formal office. So I have even less need to get one!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 349 times
just try to be formal and wear formal dresses.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 1,000 times
Great choice and thanks for advice .

Old 03-11-2017, 05:49 AM

51,191 posts, read 50,480,930 times
I know the interview's past but for others in the future, I have a couple of jackets of soft knit materials that look nice with a skirt that wouldn't prevent you from moving your arms. One is an off-white and the other a black with a white stripe. They have collars and buttons and look professional yet are comfortable and look professional.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM

8,650 posts, read 4,783,711 times
^^Oh my goodness, that's a great idea! I have another interview this Friday (fingers crossed, because this one is right up my alley), so I'm going to pick up one if those types of blazers. I've got to be able to lift my arms. You know how it is in NY/NJ; I still haven't picked up the accent, but I have fully embraced grand gestures when I talk, lol.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM

51,191 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
^^Oh my goodness, that's a great idea! I have another interview this Friday (fingers crossed, because this one is right up my alley), so I'm going to pick up one if those types of blazers. I've got to be able to lift my arms. You know how it is in NY/NJ; I still haven't picked up the accent, but I have fully embraced grand gestures when I talk, lol.
Hahaha, yes, good luck!

Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or