U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:41 AM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times

Advertisements

Do not keep the store too hot. I've usually got one try on in me before I get too hot to try on anything else.
Stop catering only to the average sized person. I am tall and I cannot buy pants in a store. I take 11wide shoes, which I cannot buy in a store.
This is GA. It is too hot for polyester clothing, so why does that account for 90% of what they sell?

Once or twice a year, I'll go to the Belks store at the mall to look at their Eileen Fisher clothes. I like them, they're classic and they fit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:55 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,113,033 times
You'd think they'd install flattering lighting in NICE dressing rooms. Those harsh fluorescents make you look so awful you want to forget buying....

The only decent experience I've had in years is Dillards. Wonderful service and easy sizes, well-organized.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 PM

72,671 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Many are closing and I have heard women say they prefer shopping online or even if they go they don't have the kinds of clothes they want etc. etc. What do you think dept stores should do in regards to stay relevant and be able to serve/attract the customer better?
I think dept. stores are still relevant, but they have to be careful to not over-emphasize the youth market in their fashions. Some of the Macy's around cut back on their office-wear and mid-range casual wear a few years ago, and lost a lot of customers. Of all ages, I might add.

Shopping online is inconvenient, because of long delivery times and the need to return or exchange items for fit. A visit to a department store, if attractively arranged with nice displays, can be a pleasant outing. Maybe having a coffee shop in the corner of one floor would help; it could be a place for friends to meet and shop together, and having a refreshment area like that could help keep customers in the store, to stimulate a bit more shopping.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 PM

72,671 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

The only decent experience I've had in years is Dillards. Wonderful service and easy sizes, well-organized.
The Dillard's in my town is AWFUL! lol I look at their clothing, and think, "Who buys stuff like that?" It's like a fashion nightmare! But recently, I visited the main store in our state, and it made a radically different impression. It actually had quite a bit of fashionable clothes and designer departments, and the service was pretty good. The one in my town is just a small branch store, so it's mostly just cheap, trendy junk. They phased out most of their designer labels a few years ago, in that store, and lost quite a few customers in so doing.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Honestly? If you want quality clothing learn to sew. It's not really that difficult, adjusting on the flat pattern is easy once you get it and you get clothing that you can wear and love and live in and not the baggy saggy pulled on knits we all have to wear now.

There's lots of classes, you tube videos,and machines at various price points, although I don't recommend cheap machines. Or Singers, unless they are old. But often you can get a great used machine loving tended by the owner who is trading up from a local sewing store...

Now...sewing isn't cheap. You aren't going to make a shirt for five dollars. And the first few things you make will be a nightmare, as you learn.... but once you find a pattern you live and works you can make multiple shirts and change the sleeve length and collar and people won't see it's the same pattern...

But it's the only way out of this clothing hell.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:57 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
I had an unpleasant experience with a "personal Shopper". SO no to that idea. this lady was so uppity in her attitude that I could not buy from her or the store she worked for. It was sheer torture each time "I" picked an outfit out to convey my style. she'd say- (condescendingly) "Ohhh....that is something for a more 'enriched' person, here try on this (gawd awful ugly) outfit. "

Will say that going to the store and trying it on is the only way I acquire clothes. This online sizing goes in too many directions...I send more stuff back due to sizing or the color is completely "off" in comparison to the online description. When "teal" comes shipped as a deep forest green I send it back.

I have found a 2nd chance shop that carries clothing and the shop owner will tailor it for a small fee. Its way less expensive when I do not have time to do it myself. I mostly "re-craft" the clothing anyways...so her extra effort has been a blessing.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,325,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post

I can only find stuff my size on line now, so why should I bother going into a physical store anymore?
I love day at the mall, it is so relaxing but I have the same problem as quoted above. I am slightly overweight petite. I can't shop at junior & I can't shop regular section. Very few stores have full petite section and even then it is difficult to find size & selection in store is limited. Now I shop online from the same department store but I have to order 3 different size. I then return 2 and keep one in the department store. Sometimes I see nice item & I just want to try it, not sure if its right for me, but its not in store & I don't want to charge my credit card just to try something.

Last time I wanted white pant, I ordered 7 different pants from Macy. I pretty much ordered any and all white pants in my size even thought I only needed one pant. I felt horrible spending $300 just to find that one item that fits well and then returning rest of the clothes. I feel horrible when i go to department store to return $250 worth of clothes because that is my only way to try things one.

For me, I will enjoy department store if
1) had my size (petite selection)
2) clothes organize so its easy to find them
3) Have many different outfits put together to give me ideas on how to pair things. I love how those junior stores like dots and Deb had outfits together in every rack.

IDEA what I would love
I understand stores can't have all the size and style due to limited space. But I would appreciate if they had a sample of all styles maybe put together in outfit form in a corner with several touchscreen computers for people to order their unique size/style they want. Having a sample means I can touch and feel the fabric & get an idea of how it will look. Then have the items I choose come to the store without any charge so I can try them on in store like normal person & buy them.

The other option would be fast food style. People come and look at the sample & on computer/pad order their size. then go have lunch/coffee break & come back in few hours while the staff in the store pulls out the right size from stock room & puts them in a box for customer to come and try them on. Its like a personal shopper. this way stores don't need so much display space, I am guessing storage is easier. But customers get personalized attention. Who doesn't love gifts in a box

Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,059,922 times
I want to walk into a department store and ask the lady, where are the women's pants, and be directed to one place to find them - not some pants here with this brand, some pants over there with some other brand, and some pants back in the corner with some other brand. I realize that is the trend now, for different brands to have their own space and put all their stuff together, but it is very confusing for a shopper (me anyway).

Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,339,114 times
They need to go back to investing in their employees and treating them like the valuable resources they can be.
Several years ago I took my daughter for new bras as she had outgrown her old ones. A sales lady in JCP approached and offered to help. When I explained the reason for our visit she called a fitting expert from another floor to come assist us. The expert spent about an hour hour assisting my daughter to find her best fit and styles and we walked out with six new bras. The last time we went to JCP the only employees we even saw were the very busy cashiers. Bleh, I could go to Walmart if that's the experience I want.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM

494 posts, read 333,512 times
I find the women's clothing department in department stores confusing. There are like 10 different sections and though some are easy to differentiate, others look like the same type of clothes in the same sizes that were in 5 other sections. I don't have time to look all over a huge store.

Second I hate looking for my size. That is the best thing about online shopping. I can put in my size and filter for clothes in that size. An app for in store inventory would be nice. Either scan the item and check inventory or put in your size and filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or