U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:52 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,078,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Great question! I just wish store buyers and management would read the answers and take them seriously.
As a plus-size shopper, I have to find most of my selections online because they don't have them in stores...or only a small percentage.
1. Clerks who are visible, available, knowledgeable, honest, and friendly. They just don't exist anymore.
2. Quality clothing. Attractive colors, well-made clothes, in comfortable fabrics. There are way too many garments made of rayon/spandex/polyester.
3. Quality clothing. I could repeat this 80 more times. Almost everything in stores now in my size is ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly.
4. Uncrowded clothing racks. I guess stores want to stick it all out of the floor to cut down on employees who have to spend time restocking. But when you can't move through the clothing on a rack to look at it, why even go to the store?
5. Clean stores. Well-lit stores. Stores are way too dark, and there's no excuse now with LED lights available. Too often I see overflowing trash cans, garbage on the floor, dust on molding.

It all boils down to respect for your customer.
Great suggestions, especially #4, putting everything out at once may reduce employee stocking time, but I hate having to rummage through a crammed rack of clothes. Also if your hangers have sizes on them, make sure the garment you hang on it matches in size. There's nothing worse than finding a really cute top on a size 14 hanger, only to find out the top is really a size 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,955,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Many are closing and I have heard women say they prefer shopping online or even if they go they don't have the kinds of clothes they want etc. etc. What do you think dept stores should do in regards to stay relevant and be able to serve/attract the customer better?
I hear women complain often that the stores run out of the popular sizes quickly. So they order online because it is more satisfying to find what they are looking for and known it will arrive saving them time. Even when you figure the amount of effort it takes to ship back returns, it is still less time than spent shopping when you include travel.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 3,760,296 times
Woman here. A lot of stores just don't carry a lot of the styles I like where I currently live. I'm from Chicago. I currently live in Texas and I lived Atlanta previously. The stores in Atlanta and Dallas just don't carry the stylish clothes that suit my personal tastes. I could go to the same stores in Chicago and the clothing looks completely different. Much more stylish and fashionable-looking. I can say that I notice a considerable difference between cities. I do like Dillard's better than Macy's, mostly for shoes. I also think Dillard's looks better than Macy's and therefore makes for a better shopping experience. A lot of things are also of poor quality now too. Everything these days is made of cheap materials.

With that being said, I try to department store shop but I very rare find clothes that I like, except when I'm in Chicago. I've talked to other women who say the same. When I lived in Atlanta, I used to work with a woman who went to New York City twice a year to buy all of her and her daughter's clothes. Apparently she knew the areas there where to get clothes at great prices. She was always impeccably dressed. I used work with another woman in Atlanta who was also always impeccably dressed. She said the same thing: she bought all of her clothes out of town.

I once met someone who works in retail who told me that the style of clothes that are stocked depends on the city/market. The next time you travel and go to certain major cities, go to the department stores and see if you don't notice a difference in the clothing stock. I know I do. If you are not finding things you like in department stores where you are, it could very well be the market you live in.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 02-27-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 PM

295 posts, read 158,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Many are closing and I have heard women say they prefer shopping online or even if they go they don't have the kinds of clothes they want etc. etc. What do you think dept stores should do in regards to stay relevant and be able to serve/attract the customer better?

I'd like to see woman's pants sized the way men's pants are sized.
Waist and Length. Simple, but why can't they do this?
That way we wouldn't have to try on so many different sizes.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I hear women complain often that the stores run out of the popular sizes quickly. So they order online because it is more satisfying to find what they are looking for and known it will arrive saving them time. Even when you figure the amount of effort it takes to ship back returns, it is still less time than spent shopping when you include travel.
I agree with this. Also, online clothing retailers have size charts available--something they don't have in department stores. At least with online shopping, as long as you keep a tape measure on hand, you can order based on your measurements according to the size charts, then you can determine based on you shape if you need to go up or down a size.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Woman here. A lot of stores just don't carry a lot of the styles I like where I currently live. I'm from Chicago. I currently live in Texas and I lived Atlanta previously. The stores in Atlanta and Dallas just don't carry the stylish clothes that suit my personal tastes. I could go to the same stores in Chicago and the clothing looks completely different. Much more stylish and fashionable-looking. I can say that I notice a considerable difference between cities. I do like Dillard's better than Macy's, mostly for shoes. I also think Dillard's looks better than Macy's and therefore makes for a better shopping experience. A lot of things are also of poor quality now too. Everything these days is made of cheap materials.

With that being said, I try to department store shop but I very rare find clothes that I like, except when I'm in Chicago. I've talked to other women who say the same. When I lived in Atlanta, I used to work with a woman who went to New York City twice a year to buy all of her and her daughter's clothes. Apparently she knew the areas there where to get clothes at great prices. She was always impeccably dressed. I used work with another woman in Atlanta who was also always impeccably dressed. She said the same thing: she bought all of her clothes out of town.

I once met someone who works in retail who told me that the style of clothes that are stocked depends on the city/market. The next time you travel and go to certain major cities, go to the department stores and see if you don't notice a difference in the clothing stock. I know I do. If you are not finding things you like in department stores where you are, it could very well be the market you live in.
When I went to Macy's in DC there was a lifetime supply of Easter egg colored suits!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
when i went to macy's in dc there was a lifetime supply of easter egg colored suits!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
This is why I shop at Nordstrom and Neimans. Organized, very helpful staff, and great clothes.

The less expensive department stores are understaffed, clothing everywhere and they don't have enough stock available.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 AM

9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
1. Better quality in the clothing without having to spend $100 on a blouse

2. More Made in America clothing

3. Free alterations or at least at a reasonable price IN the store so I don't have to make a separate trip to another place - it's done for men all the time

4. Less polyester, thin, see through tops

5. A better selection of petite clothing that isn't only geared for older people

6. More salespeople who aren't on commission so you know they are really trying to help, not just sell as much as they can regardless of whether it looks good on you or not.

7. Less boxy looking tops. My last shopping trip to Chico's I was looking at some cute tops on the mannequins but when I tried them on they looked like I was wearing a cardboard box. When I went to look at the mannequin better, I noticed they had the top & sweater clipped in the back so the mannequin looked like she had a waist. I guess I could belt it but I'm not much of a belt person. Give us some clothes that accentuates our female shape a little without making us look like we're ready to hit the clubs.

I looked at a pretty blouse at Chico's in the fall; off white with a V neck with ruffles. When I tried it on I realized it was polyester and so thin you could see every freckle on my shoulder. And they had the nerve to want $100 for it. Do I have to shop at Saks or Neiman Marcus to get a good quality article of clothing that isn't going to have buttons falling off within a month and that requires me to wear a camisole under everything? It's not just Chico's either with the high prices and low quality. It's just about every store that the average (not rich) woman goes into.

I used to love to go clothes shopping. These days when I go shopping I rarely see anything I love. I hate the skinny pants look which is everywhere and the cheap looking tops. I have an hourglass figure and look better and taller with a bootcut pant. Good luck finding them anywhere. The fashion people have decided skinny pants are IN and everything else is OUT regardless of how a woman might look in the current fashion trend.

Okay I'm done with my rant. :-)

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 02-28-2017 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: Added #7

Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 AM

9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This. There is a limbo area between 1X and size 14 missy. There are a few size 16s, but almost no selection. I like the 0X or 14W for myself, but these sizes are very, very scarce. When I lost enough weight that 1X was almost always too big, I could find nothing at my local Dillards. Nothing!

There are other problems as well. Department stores like Kohls carry larger sizes but I have found that tee shirts, for instance, are not exactly the same size within a line. I suspect this is due to using different vendors. And tees from Kohl's shrink. I can get better, more consistent quality online.

Before I lost 20 pounds I was straddling between a 14 and a 16. I found jeans & leggings at JCPenney's that were a 14W and they fit really well. I've had to have them altered after I lost weight but I had never even seen that size before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or