U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 PM

49 posts, read 26,681 times

Advertisements

Many are closing and I have heard women say they prefer shopping online or even if they go they don't have the kinds of clothes they want etc. etc. What do you think dept stores should do in regards to stay relevant and be able to serve/attract the customer better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 05:27 AM

9,093 posts, read 3,706,315 times
guy here, but I like going to stores that tailor too, so I pick something from a rack and have it modified to fit me better

plus online stores can't tailor for you like a physical store can

Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 AM

3,205 posts, read 1,486,941 times
I don't shop in stores. I buy almost 100% of what I have on-line.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
They should make use of personal shoppers.

I like when sales associates put outfits together for me based on what is going into the dressing room.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Well for me, as a person who sits as a straddler in terms of sizes at around 16, it would be great to have more clothing options. There are some items, like blazers, I need to go up a size, but there is no parity in terms of fit and style from misses to plus. Apparently people who wear over a size 16 like mumus or skimpy club wear. No work clothes. No suits. And it is way in the abandoned corner.

Some stores are really messy and an not well kept. Bad experience as the stores have consolidated maintenance has been downgraded.

Secondly most of the clothing in the mainstream mid-range stores are terrrible made, cut and constructed. They are not worth the price.

I like that some new lines have inclusive sizing (good American) and stock all the sizes side by side. That is an improvement.

But selection and customer service have been downgraded and I'd rather shop somewhere who cares about me a customer.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Most department stores I've been to are either crowded with racks of very unorganized clearance clothing, so grubby you don't want to take your shoes off in the fitting room, or they have horrendously long lines. And I can't even walk through the part of the store with the perfume counter because of all the scents in the air.

And it's true that the plus sizes are usually shoved in a corner somewhere or upstairs near the appliances, or are full of outdated, matronly clothing.

There's really nothing that could entice me to shop in department stores again.

I think my one exception is Sears. It's a good place to buy an appliance because the salesmen know their products well and the deliverymen are really careful when they deliver and install the appliance. But I would never buy clothes at Sears.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:37 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I want clothes that fit, aren't see through, last past the first washing, and don't hang like a tent. I don't have a cute body anymore. That doesn't mean I can't look good.

Uniform sizing would be nice. I would like to be able walk into the store and know my size without trying on three different sizes of the same outfit to guess.

As someone who is close to plus size, I'd like designers to make classic clothes that accentuate the nice parts of my body. There are darts, gathers and draping that could be added to certain clothing to make it flattering. I find a lot of larger size clothing adds weight and bulk in areas where I have shape.

I want quality which means the seams are completely sewed no raw edges, the zippers work and the buttons are not falling off. The fabric will last for a long time with no holes.

I want attractive fabric. I've seen some hideous colors and patterns on larger size clothing. I appreciate cheerful clothing, but there are certain colors that are never attractive on anyone.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM

985 posts, read 397,444 times
Better merchandise selection is by far the most important thing that could be done. I second the comments so far regarding quality, shape, and uniform sizing. I'm incredulous at how much ugly, poorly made crap is hanging on the racks - no matter what store I'm in, at least 75% of it doesn't even appeal to me, from either a design, color, or construction aspect.

This is not relevant everywhere, but I also highly dislike limited access dressing rooms, i.e. where I have to find an associate to let me in and out and who is counting how many items I have. I want to be able to try on clothes without being policed, and I don't want to have to make multiple trips because I can only have 5 items at a time, esp when, because of the lack of uniform sizing, I'm often trying on a couple different sizes of the same item.

I also prefer a dressing room that has multiple angled full-length mirrors, so I can see what the garment looks like from all angles, not just the front and a contorted back view.

Clearly marked price tags.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM

985 posts, read 397,444 times
Oh, and stop trying to get me to sign up for a credit card every time I check out.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:32 AM

635 posts, read 336,964 times
Just spent a miserable afternoon in J.C. Penney's in NW San Antonio. Here's why I'll never go back:

Store is so disorganized one can get lost just trying to go from women's clothes to the bra section.

Clothes are jammed together in no manner that works for anyone except the store. When one must spent the day just trying to find one's size, one quickly loses interest.

Women's Plus Petites are far more common than the limited selections indicate. Yet we are treated to nothing at all, utter crap, lousy colors, and have to look for them in the most out-of-the-way places in the store.

I'm not a teen. Don't stock only teen fashions and expect me to buy them. Think about who has the money, not who is currently the fashion.

No clerks to help. Closed down inner cash registers while we were still shopping, leaving a long line at the two front registers. All of us in line got the distinct impression that we were impediments to the employees' afternoons, not that we were valued customers.

I can only find stuff my size on line now, so why should I bother going into a physical store anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or