U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,692,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridiana View Post
Laser didn't work for me. The hair came back after several treatments. So I'm plucking it. I use an epilator for the chin and bleach for the mustache.
What kind of bleach do you use? I am of Spanish descent, and even at age 67 have a few dark hairs above my lip; nothing terrible but I have been plucking it. Had to stop because I developed a rash that I believe is/was folliculitis (inflamed hair follicles). Been leaving it alone but it bugs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM

10,121 posts, read 16,716,797 times
All of you posters answering this thread to say you have no hair or one hair you have to remove quarterly, well bless your little hearts.

Laser is the only way to go. You may have to repeat the treatment every 2-3 years, but it's not that much more expensive than constant waxing, maybe cheaper. Almost painless, and such great results.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
If you have a lot of facial hair, you might also have PCOS. It's worth asking your doctor about.

I know a young woman who had repeated laser treatments for facial hair. She finally talked to the Ob-Gyn about it who said she had PCOS and prescribed a particular BC pill. The facial hair went away.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM

88 posts, read 33,990 times
Depending on where but chin area is the most resistant and very hormonally driven so there are hardly any truly permanent solutions for that area.

Laser is awesome though and you have to go to someone very skilled. You also want to make sure they use a high quality laser. There are so many places that are on Groupon/living social that offer really cheap deals but they very often use really crap machines and also a lot of places that the training of the practitioner is sub par. If they aren't using proper settings, your results will be affected.

I've done laser since it first came out. The machine I personally have had amazing results with are the candela lasers- the gentelase (I might be spelling it wrong) I've done my full body. I've had experiences with different machines and it wasn't effective and the candela machines were incredible.

It does take multiple sessions but now I only go and do a full body single session like every few years. I haven't had to shave/wax in like 15 years.

Now the face, that area I do a bit more often since it's all hormone based but it's the smoothest cleanest results.

White hairs won't be picked up by laser so electrolysis would be the better bet. Very blond hairs will also likely not be successful with laser. If you have dark skin, candela has a yag laser that works well but the darker your skin, it's crucial that you go to the absolutely most qualified practitioner that has a lot of experience with darker skin types.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:39 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
I have PCOS and have had hair on my chin since my teens. Now that I'm approaching 30, if I go even a week without tweezing my chin looks like a pre-teen boy starting to grow a patchy beard.

I tweeze daily, largely because my hair is so dark and thick that I can't wait for it to grow out long enough for waxing. Luckily, the hair on top of my head is also dark and thick!

Because it's PCOS related, laser hair removal does not seem like an effective long-term solution and with its high cost, it's not something I'm willing to invest in. Tweezing isn't so bad as I can do it quickly using a lighted magnified mirror, and at this point it doesn't really hurt me. The most important thing is to follow with a chemical exfoliater and toner so I don't develop ingrowns.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 AM

28,207 posts, read 2,196,057 times
I get chin & neck hairs, & I tweeze them out. I get both dark ones & some white ones, the white ones really aanoy me, they are harder to see & also seem to glint in the sunlight aghhhhh. I have been tweezing for 35 years, & the hairs have not got any thicker. I also tweeze my eyebrows, & they look great.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
I have a few goat hairs that pop out of my chin every so often. I use this about once a month: https://www.sallyhansen.com/hair-rem...ce-lip-wax-kit

Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 AM

18,977 posts, read 10,040,378 times
mostly tweezing but I also have one of those battery powered facial hair trimmers that I use every now and then. The hair isn't all that dark, but since I have bad vision, I use a very powerful magnifying make up mirror so I see the hair more clearly than anyone else would (unless they have magic 10x normal vision!) so then I feel like I have to get rid of it! lol!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I don't, because I hear removing it just makes it come back thicker. Many dark-haired women may bleach the peach fuzz on their mouth. Since my hair is already white, there's no need. hell, you can barely see my eyebrows. Let alone any other facial hair I may have. lol

You can TRY laser treatment. But I hear sometimes even that isn't 100% and the hair still grows back even thicker than before.

You can try the Clio Shaver, which can be found on Amazon. I use it for my armpits -a close shave without fear of cutting. Because you can press it directly against skin and it doesn't cut like a razor. It's also waterproof, best used on moist skin to avoid any possible or potential irritation. But goes without saying lol
That is an old wives' tale. Your hair grows the way it grows; shaving/plucking it has no effect on its future growth. Agree on the laser treatment; it may remove hair permanently but the laser center will charge you big bucks and doesn't even guarantee results. I use good old fashioned disposable razors on my pits. My wife shaves my scalp with clippers because my hair is thick, long, and I would sweat to death if I had all my hair.

I also have the common Indian unibrow problem. When I was young and stupid, I spent a ton of $$$ at the nail place getting my brows waxed until I realized there had to be a better/cheaper way. After much investigation, I discovered a simple device called a Tinkle (I know; it's a ridiculous name). They are eyebrow/lip razors that shave close and don't cut the skin. They work great and they are super cheap. I can get 20 of them for about $8 and they last me 3 years or so. I shape the eyebrow using Vaseline (to hold the hair in place) and small scissors afterward.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
for the tweezers - that means you only have a hair here or there, right? Not really a real fuzz of hair?

I shave my face every 3 days. I don't like looking into the sunlight and seeing that fuzz of hair on cheeks and chin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty