U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is an old wives' tale. Your hair grows the way it grows; shaving/plucking it has no effect on its future growth.
And plucking hairs can sometimes damage the follicle enough that the hair eventually grows back lighter and thinner. Look at all those women who plucked/waxed their eyebrows to oblivion--that hair doesn't grow back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM

13,372 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't have any, but man I would sure hesitate to try and remove it since that means it comes back much thicker.
No....it's only your perception because it may feel different when it is "stubbly" but shaving in NO WAY increases the number of hair follicles or the coarseness of each hair.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM

51,245 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.

No, it doesn't.
Persistent sucker, that myth. Completely illogical, too. How on earth could removing hair at the surface change what goes on in the root? How do people think that makes sense?

And its sister myth that trimming the hair on your head makes it grow faster.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 PM

51,245 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And plucking hairs can sometimes damage the follicle enough that the hair eventually grows back lighter and thinner. Look at all those women who plucked/waxed their eyebrows to oblivion--that hair doesn't grow back.
Yeah, that was me. Had thick eyebrows that were considered a horror in the 70s. Plucked them thin and now I'm stuck with thin brows.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 PM

13,159 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, that was me. Had thick eyebrows that were considered a horror in the 70s. Plucked them thin and now I'm stuck with thin brows.
That's my solution then! Perhaps unibrow is sexy on a man, but it sure isn't on a woman. Time to buy industrial strength tweezers.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Laser is the only thing that works. The problem is, many estheticians don't know how to use it. And here's the real deal, it hurts like the devil and you can smell hair burning. If you don't experience these 2 things, it is NOT being done correctly and the hair will regrow. There may even be a little bleeding.

The good news is subsequent treatments hurt less because there is less hair. You have to have a series of treatments, not just one. You will know in just a few days if it is working. And if you have any acne scars or oddly pigmented areas, those go away too.

I tried everything out there and laser works if it is done right. I was treated with a yttrium garnet laser. If you are interested, get it done now. As you age, more and more of those pesky hairs will turn white and laser does not work on white hair!

One way to try and find an esthetician is to ask if they work on transgendered individuals. If they can get rid of that hair they should be able to get rid of yours.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:00 PM

886 posts, read 356,135 times
I use tweezers to trim/shape my eyebrows. Oh, and of course, I also use them to yank the 1 or 2 hairs I tend to find on my chinny-chin-chin every couple of weeks.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridiana View Post
Laser didn't work for me. The hair came back after several treatments. So I'm plucking it. I use an epilator for the chin and bleach for the mustache.
Plucking and waxing, however, can strengthen the hair follicle and make the hair come back thicker and stronger.

Possibly the best way for most is electrolysis. Painful to an extent, time consuming, and not cheap. Yeah, some of the hair does come back. My own observation (a guy getting his back and back of neck done) is that about 1/3 don't come back, 1/3 come back but thinner, and 1/3 come back with no change, every time you do a session.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Since I have very fair hair, and any body hair is even lighter than the hair on my head, anything like above-the lip peachfuzz would be so light and fine as to be unnoticeable, anyway. And my skin is very fair.

My best friend is of Native American extraction, with dark hair and olive-toned skin. She has had the 'stache" issue most of her life, and from our teenage years on, opted to bleach it. It looks INCREDIBLY noticeable, because the bleached hair stands out on her darker skin tone as much as it did when the hair was dark. However, it is her method of choice, so, whatever.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:22 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yep. I was a high school/college student in the 90s, when the pencil-thin plucked and shaped brows were the thing. I never did mine like that, preferring instead to leave them natural, but most of my peers did. And many of them overplucked so zealously that they did damage the follicles enough that they now have very naturally sparse brows and feel they have to fill them in with brow powders and pencils and the like to get the current "natural brow" trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty