U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:57 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,502,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is an old wives' tale. Your hair grows the way it grows; shaving/plucking it has no effect on its future growth. Agree on the laser treatment; it may remove hair permanently but the laser center will charge you big bucks and doesn't even guarantee results. I use good old fashioned disposable razors on my pits. My wife shaves my scalp with clippers because my hair is thick, long, and I would sweat to death if I had all my hair.

I also have the common Indian unibrow problem. When I was young and stupid, I spent a ton of $$$ at the nail place getting my brows waxed until I realized there had to be a better/cheaper way. After much investigation, I discovered a simple device called a Tinkle (I know; it's a ridiculous name). They are eyebrow/lip razors that shave close and don't cut the skin. They work great and they are super cheap. I can get 20 of them for about $8 and they last me 3 years or so. I shape the eyebrow using Vaseline (to hold the hair in place) and small scissors afterward.
I don't doubt that. My mother used to always say that. But she's a believer in some old isms. And yes, she tried laser removal, and it didn't work. She still ended up growing hair back. So while it can be wonderful, it doesn't always work.

But for any smaller quantities, the clio shaver does well for me. Gives a better shave for pits than any razor did. And I did use it on my face once. For my upper lip. Last I looked, it was cheap/ So it is best to try cheaper options before dropping the huge sum of money for laser treatment. Unless one can afford it with no problem.

And yep. I did something for my brows as well. They can get a good bit thick. Never had a unibrow, but supper thick and caterpillar-like is a risk. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:02 AM

689 posts, read 618,544 times
Default My Grandmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I am looking for as natural solutions as possible. I used to use a cream before, but I noticed my skin was allergic to it, so I stopped it. Then I got this facial hair trimmer and used it for years, but I started noticing more growth with it - Panasonic Women's Facial Trimmer | Ulta Beauty

My hair became thick and it's growing much faster than before. I also want to get rid of the facial hair permanently and was thinking of laser treatment, but I have read reviews about the side effects of it too. How do you all remove your facial hair?
had actual whiskers on her chin, isn't NAIR an option?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM

26 posts, read 8,830 times
I mostly use epilators. I have a separate epilator just for my face. I use epiwand. It's super cheap and rips out even the fairest hair. It's amazing really. My top preference is an epilator always. I know some people wax but my skin is so sensitive. Afterwars, I just have red bumps all over my face. Not pleasant at all. ;/ There are many choices for epilators really, if you're interested you can find one quite easily. There is a good list of epilators just for face here.
If you're really not a fan of epilators and have sensitive skin like me, you could use tweezers. It takes a lot of time though. If you are thinking about laser, there isn't much point unless you have very dark hair on your face, which is not usually the case for us ladies.
P.S. Don't trim or shave your facial hair. That's a big no no no! They come back so much faster than they would with other methods.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 AM

369 posts, read 176,897 times
I also use an epilator for my chin and neck. I used to pluck them, but it was just too time consuming. I shave my upper lip hair because using the epilator there is too painful. Same with my eyebrows, so I shape them with a razor.

The epilator works great on legs too! The first couple of times you use it hurts like heck, but after that you barely notice it.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,492,700 times
I got a silk'n zapper thing about 5 years ago and now I'm pretty much hairless everywhere.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:17 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,492,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have PCOS and have had hair on my chin since my teens. Now that I'm approaching 30, if I go even a week without tweezing my chin looks like a pre-teen boy starting to grow a patchy beard.

I tweeze daily, largely because my hair is so dark and thick that I can't wait for it to grow out long enough for waxing. Luckily, the hair on top of my head is also dark and thick!

Because it's PCOS related, laser hair removal does not seem like an effective long-term solution and with its high cost, it's not something I'm willing to invest in. Tweezing isn't so bad as I can do it quickly using a lighted magnified mirror, and at this point it doesn't really hurt me. The most important thing is to follow with a chemical exfoliater and toner so I don't develop ingrowns.
Have you tried spiro? It helped my friend.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:57 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
for the tweezers - that means you only have a hair here or there, right? Not really a real fuzz of hair?

I shave my face every 3 days. I don't like looking into the sunlight and seeing that fuzz of hair on cheeks and chin.
Same, but I don't have to do it very often. Late fall, I get a lot of fuzz in the sideburn area. I guess my "coat" is thickening for winter. . The first time it happened, it reminded me of the Ewoks.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 AM

8 posts, read 2,564 times
Plucking would cause chicken skin. I'm currently undergoing a diode laser hair removal treatment for my underarm. I have yet to see results because there is an interval of 6 weeks for each session. They say that this is better than IPL too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty