U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:16 PM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times

Advertisements

I'm happy with my "look" or style now. I was when I was young also but not for about 10 years when I had gained 20 pounds after having two kids close together. Now I'm old enough to realize what flatters me and what doesn't, and I don't care if I'm super trendy as long as I look well dressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:45 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
I can honestly say that after the last several years; a situation has developed where now, today; when I look at "what I have to wear"; I do not have even one item that I would actually "choose" to have.

A health issue which caused me to gain over 40 lbs didn't help. Neither did the fact that I had to leave employment to care for a disabled child 10 yrs ago.

I tried juggling money at first because I was used to a certain amount of "purchasing power". But then I realized that I was returning alot of it because I really couldn't afford it. Started shopping at thrift stores but thats kind of a random eureka type thing; sometimes you find awesome things. Other times nothing. Over the years I wound up with a "whatever" wardrobe.

My health issue was corrected with surgery & I'm getting stronger now & have lost maybe 30lbs so far so I'm happy about that. Strange thing is; I walked into a store last week with just a bit of money for maybe a shirt. And I couldn't figure out how to select something!

I had no clue where to even start. I wonder if maybe it's over & I'm too far "gone". In the least I'm pretty sure I've forgotten what I like.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:15 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
I'm with the other middle aged gals in this thread. LUVIN mah style. In my 20s I figured out what colors looked good on me. No more guessing. I also have more money now to buy clothes, although I'm still a SECOND HAND and SALE shopper . My sister says my clothes look expensive, but only some of them are.

I've loved dresses since I was a little girl, and that has not changed. IMO you can't go wrong with a dress and heels. As long as the fabric is good, or the style is simple. I like putting on one piece and looking put together. If I had more money or a RICH MAN, I'd have WAY more jewelry, but I have some that I like and wear it to death.

When I'm at home, that's another story. My home style is wacky. Embroidered mumus, inappropriate shorts, lounging pajamas, yoga pants. I'm lucky to be alive and get to wear what I want.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,232,952 times
I have no fashion sense so I'm happy.

My wife is not happy with my lack of fashion sense.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:06 PM

1,515 posts, read 778,916 times
I don't like what I wore in my twenties,I found my style later. I like my old fashioned feminine comfortable country style.
My style is very romantic,this page on adoredvintage.com is representive of it.I'd like to dress in nothing but Edwardian whites and lace,and nice simple dresses.I prefer everything to be handmade,and I wear a lot of my own handmade silver jewellery and I always wear skirts.

Last edited by Katiethegreat; 03-03-2017 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,978,113 times
I am a male.

I USED to be a t-shirt and jeans guy, and a sweatshirt and sweatpants guy.

Then MOH came along. and got me to change to casual/dress casual wear. You COULD call it "Preppy" I guess. Casual dress shirts with collars, some buttoned down, and cuffs. Dress or casual dress pants- with cuffs sewn in and are chinos, khakis, pleated front types. During winter I like to wear cardigan sweaters with my ensemble.

Now I can't stand wearing anything else.

Although summer I am known to wear cotton shorts and a tank top around the house. But going out in summer is usually a casual dress shirt and "respectable shorts" that are cotton or cotton blends with pockets and belt loops, NOT nylon "running/athletic shorts". I also will, during high summer season wear my Hawaiian shirts, {which come directly from Hawai'i, where we visited and can't wait to visit again}, but they, too, are modeled after casual dress shirts, with pockets and collars.

I am very happy with my outfits, and sometimes don't think I have enough! I have become a "clothes horse", if you will.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:35 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I have no fashion sense so I'm happy.

My wife is not happy with my lack of fashion sense.
Eh, my husband has no fashion sense. He is completely utilitarian. It is uniforms for Navy work, khakis and polos for civilian work, free promotional tees and cargo shorts for anything else. Dress blues for formal stuff.

I don't care at all. Marrying a clothes horse wasn't a priority.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:59 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
like dating a woman ,,,i go for comfort not high maintenance....life is much simpler and easier to live..

my style is a good mix.... i actually dress a bit better than years ago.. maybe because im older,,,maybe because i have more clothes

Old 03-04-2017, 10:07 AM

1,305 posts, read 548,667 times
I have a mix of a casual/laid-back/classic wardrobe that works well for me.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:27 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
I have a mix of a casual/laid-back/classic wardrobe that works well for me.
you women have it easier,,, outside of a limbo contest,,, nude is always "in style "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or