U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 549,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you women have it easier,,, outside of a limbo contest,,, nude is always "in style "
LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM

13,817 posts, read 12,605,948 times
Yes, happy.
Less is more, ( elegance is always in style ) know what colors ( cuts/length) work for you - I think I never had problems with it from the day one.
And since we are at that - talking about "style sense" here, I saw this yesterday and really LOVED this collection. It's for "special occasion" of course, but.. yeah, loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QohkYqexsGk&t=211s

Old 03-04-2017, 12:50 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
It's not that my wardrobe fell into place - it's that I gained a better understanding of the advantages of classics, better quality, sales, and convenience. My wardrobe is perfectly serviceable: it covers scruffy things to bum around in, crisp tidy good quality things for work, and elegant things for evening. I don't feel the need to have everyone whirl to look at me when I walk into a room, but if I want to, I have a few items in that category.

The wish to start over seems odd to me, unless you're in your early 20s and have always been dressed by your mother.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 AM

25,573 posts, read 23,766,561 times
I'm pretty content with just being me. I'm a jeans girl, and a flannel shirt or tank top can be dress up or dress down. Truck drivers don't need much. My peeve is going to get my waist length hair trimmed and everyone thinks I should cut it short because that's what everyone else wears. Which is why I trim my own, rather than go to a shop.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I don't like what I wore in my twenties,I found my style later. I like my old fashioned feminine comfortable country style.
My style is very romantic,this page on adoredvintage.com is representive of it.I'd like to dress in nothing but Edwardian whites and lace,and nice simple dresses.I prefer everything to be handmade,and I wear a lot of my own handmade silver jewellery and I always wear skirts.
OOh I love these.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM

422 posts, read 178,233 times
I've never paid too much attention to style. As a nurse, I wore scrubs to work. My "designers" were LL Bean and Land's End.

Now that I'm retired, I am more conscious of wanting to look put together when I go out. I see too many women in my age range slopping about in baggy jeans, sweatshirt, windbreaker and white sports shoes. Oh, and a fanny pack---worn not on the fanny but hanging off the belly. I'm not judging them for "being comfortable"---but I do notice--- and that's not how I want to present myself.

I grew up in the South and people there---when I lived there---paid more attention to appearance than what I see here in the mid-Atlantic.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 PM

69 posts, read 37,390 times
I didn't find my style until I was in my 40's! I used to wear "mom" jeans with the very high waist. I had this uniform I would wear. A nice looking pair of "sweat pants" and matching jacket. I mean they were nice, like from Talbots. I would wear that with a white tee shirt and white keds. Oh jeeze when I think back on that! That was when i was raising my kidlings and comfort won out over style.

When I got divorced a friend helped me out and we would go shopping all the time. The biggest thing I learned was to get out of my comfort zone which is something I still need to remind myself to do. I haven gotten much better but sometimes still joke that I need a clothing line made by granimals, haha! I feel like if I could lose a little more weight, maybe 10-15 lbs I would be more proportional and certain types of clothes would fit me better.

My daughter who is in her mid 20's came to visit the other day and she was watching me as we were getting ready to go to dinner. She gave me one of the best compliments I've ever received in my entire life. She said "mom, you have really good style!" I wanted to cry I felt so blessed!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:12 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I am a male.

I USED to be a t-shirt and jeans guy, and a sweatshirt and sweatpants guy.

Then MOH came along. and got me to change to casual/dress casual wear. You COULD call it "Preppy" I guess. Casual dress shirts with collars, some buttoned down, and cuffs. Dress or casual dress pants- with cuffs sewn in and are chinos, khakis, pleated front types. During winter I like to wear cardigan sweaters with my ensemble.

Now I can't stand wearing anything else.

Although summer I am known to wear cotton shorts and a tank top around the house. But going out in summer is usually a casual dress shirt and "respectable shorts" that are cotton or cotton blends with pockets and belt loops, NOT nylon "running/athletic shorts". I also will, during high summer season wear my Hawaiian shirts, {which come directly from Hawai'i, where we visited and can't wait to visit again}, but they, too, are modeled after casual dress shirts, with pockets and collars.

I am very happy with my outfits, and sometimes don't think I have enough! I have become a "clothes horse", if you will.

We need a fist-bump smilie.

It's now a man-friendly thread. When I saw it earlier, I wasn't sure how to answer and if men's style was relevant.

I sometimes am content but more often resigned and a little frustrated. My style still resembles my teenage style (as does my body), though that was many years ago.

As then, I'm aloof, weird, intense, with mostly classic values (including clothing being practical, neat, presentable, and low-priced), and I want to look authentic. Also, I want to look sexually appealing to women and not to men. The whole enchilada is supposed to be moderately interesting and not unfriendly - don't approach me but welcome me if I approach you - and not a lot like anyone other guy.

Counter-culture, gender-bending vibes yuck and accessories pointless, although ties can be fun to buy. Too many clothes are not fun to shop for, because there isn't enough fabric variety - someone make a linen shirt with a bamboo collar - and most adult men's clothing isn't built for a body type that isn't fully filled out.

I sometimes dress colorfully above the waist, and I have a large rotation of shirts (pullover and button-front, all kinds of patterns) and pants, growing the latter lately, I'm happy to report. I'm glad standard color options for men are broader than a decade ago. Patterns are more accessible, too, but too much plaid and too many that are just stupid 60's/70's throwbacks. I'm working on socks, now that I've found options that fit my feet and look a little strange.

I end up looking somewhat preppy, Americana, or weird, depending on the day of the week, and ideally it would be more consistent but without boring me. It can't happen for various reasons, but my fantasy would be enough of everything that I wouldn't wear the same outfit (shirt & pants) more than once or twice a month and no specific shirt more than 3 times per month.

I am distinctly unhappy with footwear. Finding something that looks moderately interesting and adult and fits and is comfortable for standing much is basically impossible. I default to plain sneakers and boring shoes. I keep meaning to replace 'preinstalled' shoelaces with some that don't quite match. I might put some dark sneaker shoelaces on casual shoes.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-19-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 AM

1,022 posts, read 445,743 times
What a great question! I really had to think about it & came up with both yes & no LOL. I think I found my style in my early 20's & I loved it & rocked it. Now, in my 50's, my style is the same, but my body isn't & more importantly, my lifestyle isn't. I prefer a glam, colorful, bold look. Even somewhat blingy. I love getting dressed up! I always have. I still prefer that look, but I moved to one of the most casual states in the country & I work at home & DH works at home. I go days without leaving the house & when I do, it's to the post office & thrift store, so I would feel & look weird getting dressed up. In that sense, my style doesn't match my lifestyle anymore & I hate casual clothes & solid colors. I find them boring.

The yes comes in b/c I still rock my style when I get the chance & others say I rock it too. It's probably what many would consider too young, for a woman in her 50's, but my confidence & comfort, when I wear the colors & brights that I love, must show through, b/c I am frequently complimented. It probably helps that I still have 'young' hair.

So, I'm happy with my style sense, I just wish I had more of a chance to wear it. People look out of place here if they dress up, even a bit. I was at a local Mexican casual restaurant recently & there was a 20 minute wait, even though it was fast food, so to occupy my time, I really studied what outfits people had on. The place was almost evenly split male/female & there were around 100 people there. About 80 of them were in jeans & t-shirts. Another 6 were in jeans & shorts. About 12 were in yoga pants & a basic top & a grand total of 2 were in skirts or dresses (and one of those was pregnant). People just don't dress up around here, so what I consider the most casual of outfits, looks too dressy in my state

Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 445,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeony View Post
I haven gotten much better but sometimes still joke that I need a clothing line made by granimals, haha! I feel like if I could lose a little more weight, maybe 10-15 lbs I would be more proportional and certain types of clothes would fit me better.

My daughter who is in her mid 20's came to visit the other day and she was watching me as we were getting ready to go to dinner. She gave me one of the best compliments I've ever received in my entire life. She said "mom, you have really good style!" I wanted to cry I felt so blessed!
Chico's Travelers LOL. My husband always calls it Garanimals for Women

One of the things I like about thrift store shopping is that ability to try on so many different styles & easily step outside your box or the box the retailers are saying is popular at any given moment in time!

In my head, I think maybe I'll try the artist's lagenlook style, it looks comfy. Try on a few pieces at a thrift or even buy a piece or 2 for a couple of bucks & it becomes clear very quickly, that 5' 1" women shouldn't wear lagenlook LOL. I like being able to experiment so inexpensively.

What a sweet daughter, that definitely would make someone's day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or