U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,324,398 times

Advertisements

Your current style, the wardrobe you have, the clothes you wear. Are you content?

If you are happy, roughly at what age did you find your style and wardrobe fall in place. Was there a moment when it all made sense

If you are not happy and constantly wish you can overhaul everything & start over, what do you think will help you be content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 AM

3,200 posts, read 1,483,983 times
At 61, I wear what I like.

I feel I'm very stylish, not cookie-cutter. Some might call it Georgia O'keeffe-ish.

Weird is good.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,420,910 times
I stopped caring after 17. I dress for me since i buy the clothes. If someone wants to critique my style sense then i expect them to give me a free make-over.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,719,411 times
I am fairly happy with my style sense, which is pretty low-maintenence but still professional. It was kind of boring before I started accessorizing and mixing up some of my neutrals with interesting prints.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 PM

18,840 posts, read 12,465,112 times
It isn't my style sense so much that influences what I wear; it is my pocketbook. But, yeah, I am pretty OK with my "style."

I think I found my style in my 40s or so.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM

983 posts, read 695,989 times
Yes, I am happy.

But the way I dress has changed dramatically over the years.

When I was a young woman (aack - that means that I am no longer a "young woman"!), I dressed nicely. Pretty dresses, especially on Sundays for church. Nail polish. Slacks or dresses for work, nice jeans and cute blouses for around the house/weekends.

Now I am middle aged and I dress for comfort and practicality. I go for low cost/low maintenance. So that means I wear jeans and t-shirts *every day*, including Sundays. I dress up a bit for dinner with the inlaws, but that's it. And I don't bother with nail polish or makeup. I am comfortable with who I am and how I look.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM

8,650 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Sure. I'm as casual as I've ever been, but I'm a lot more put-together looking than I used to be. Still can't accessorize if my life depended on it, but I've found a couple of good quality clothing brands that consistently fit my frame and look good.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:34 PM

26,866 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Interesting question.

I would say I am content with my style at this point. But thinking about what I thought my style would be at this age? Well I was totally wrong.

I would say I found my style in my mid 20s or so, but the be honest my style hasn't particularly changed all that much since I was 15 or so. But what solidified in my 20s was what pieces would be essential to achieving both my style ideals, my style goals and how I wanted to present myself to the world.

I have basically iterated on those themes. I've also gravitated towards classic items, but I went through a period where it was a little too old for my age. So at some point I better figured out how to be mostly classic but still fashion forward enough so it doesn't seem too boring or matronly.

In my 30s I learned how to accessorize. And finally stopped getting items for that fantasy life - that also matched up with where I thought my style would go.

As for my wardrobe? There are still a couple of holes I would like to fill, so I am not "done." But I have a signature style and know what fits and what doesn't.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,028,074 times
I am happy with my style sense.

I experimented in my late teens through my mid-20s. I wasn't sure what styles I liked, what looked best on me, or what colors I preferred. I bought beautiful clothing, but couldn't figure out why some of the pieces that looked wonderful in the store didn't look so great on me. I didn't always know what suited my build and coloring.

By my late-20s, through trial and error, I finally discovered who I was stylistically. A light had come on for me and suddenly I was confident about my clothing and accessory choices. I had figured out which styles suit my figure and personality, as well as which colors were most flattering on me.

Since then, I've been quite happy with my wardrobe. I am 48yo, and have been wearing many of my pieces for over two decades.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:39 PM

4,094 posts, read 3,386,997 times
I can't say I'm "happy" with my "style sense" but I will say that I am definitely very content with where it has come to fruition. I wear classic clothing for business wear, casual wear and right down to my jeans and sweaters. It never looks old or dated and most of my clothing, regardless of its usage, are decades old.

Throughout the years I may add to or replace worn pieces with a new classic top, sweater, and/or jacket, etc., but not very often. My clothing budget might be $50 to $100 a year, including the inevitable restocking/replacing of under (foundation) clothing and socks.

Yes, I'm very content with my sense of style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or