U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 PM

49 posts, read 11,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Your comment is hilarious to me. No, Dillard's isn't like Sears at all. Dillards is pretty much a low end department store - probably a notch down from Macy's, but a bit better than Kohl's. I don't think that Dillard's sells tools or appliances or anything like that - mostly clothes and personal items - makeup, fragrances, bed and bath, etc.

If I had a choice, I'd never shop at Dillard's, but unfortunately, where I live there just aren't any good department stores. We don't even have a Macy's here, let alone a Bloomingdale's. All we have as far as department stores are Dillard's and Belk - yuck!

Back on topic, I've never cared for Nautica and have never bought anything by that brand and I've never noticed any of my friends wearing it either, male or female.
Thanks for your feedback. It doesn't sound so scary there now.
I have never been to Belk. I have seen advertisements for it. Some of the stuff looks pretty cute so I may pop into one some day.

I've never worn nautica either. (I'm not sure if they even make clothes for females.)
But I'm not bothered by it. So many other brands have such ugly logos.
I don't think Sail boats are ugly so I'm fine with it.

PS if I lived in a place that only had a Dillard's and a Belks I'd be thankful that I didn't live in a place that only had a Kmart. So it's not so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:35 AM

957 posts, read 472,868 times
Yes, in 1990 a Nautica jacket was the thing. Now...totally irrelevant.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:54 PM

49 posts, read 11,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Yes, in 1990 a Nautica jacket was the thing. Now...totally irrelevant.
I don't understand why it was a thing. I don't understand why people that didn't know how to sail were walking around with pretend racing team jackets.

But as others have said the quality is good enough for jeans and stuff.
Not everyone buys stuff because it's trendy.
Some people just buy stuff because they like it.

And I don't think it was trendy in 1990.
I think it started to become trendy in 92-93.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:36 PM

243 posts, read 68,985 times
Nautica is as relevant as Pauly Shore is today

Old 04-05-2019, 04:50 PM

1,075 posts, read 559,071 times
Nautica was really big in the mid 80s as a mid-luxury brand. It went maintstream in the affordable space in the 90s and died off until now. Now with its new owner, ABF, it's made quite a resurgence in the affordable clothing space. The new owner as kept prices low and as a result it's managed to, once again, become very popular.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 7,756,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Nautica was really big in the mid 80s as a mid-luxury brand. It went maintstream in the affordable space in the 90s and died off until now. Now with its new owner, ABF, it's made quite a resurgence in the affordable clothing space. The new owner as kept prices low and as a result it's managed to, once again, become very popular.
I see it a lot in Puerto Rico, but don't see it much here in Arizona. Even most of the local Macy's stores have dropped the brand, probably because it doesn't sell here in Arizona. I can't speak for other regions.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:55 PM

4,667 posts, read 2,265,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwdst57731 View Post
I've never been to a Dillard's. For some reason I am frightened by them.
What's it like there?
Is it like Sears?
Because Sears scares me.
I think it's all tools and stuff.
Dillardís is expensive and snobby (without reason). NOT at all like Sears, which is cheap and uncaring. Dillardís has Free People clothing brand, however; so I check in once in a while...

Old 04-05-2019, 05:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 7,756,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Dillardís is expensive and snobby (without reason). NOT at all like Sears, which is cheap and uncaring. Dillardís has Free People clothing brand, however; so I check in once in a while...
I rarely shop at Sears and Dillard's. My main go-to stores for clothing are JCPenney, Kohl's, Belk, Bealls Florida, and Amazon.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:14 PM

6,135 posts, read 5,844,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwdst57731 View Post
I don't understand why it was a thing. I don't understand why people that didn't know how to sail were walking around with pretend racing team jackets.

But as others have said the quality is good enough for jeans and stuff.
Not everyone buys stuff because it's trendy.
Some people just buy stuff because they like it.

And I don't think it was trendy in 1990.
I think it started to become trendy in 92-93.
Some were on it as early as the late eighties. Nautica lost their position to Tommy Hilfiger. That brand made Nautica disappear, for what it's worth. Only competition Nautica had in the early days was Polo. And Nautica wasn't even close to Polo so they could coexist. Kids wear Nautica now to be ironic. Same as they do Hilfiger.

I thought it was a joke at first. But it wasn't about the sea. That was just an image they used to sell it. It was an interesting alternative to Polo Ralph Lauren, which has nothing to do with the sport. But it was the nineties and people bought into the image.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-05-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 05:18 PM

6,135 posts, read 5,844,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As for Nautica, my past few Nautica purchases actually fit quite well and I still wear them from time to time. However, Nautica does offer a slim fit line as do most fashion companies. I haven't bought a new Nautica shirt in a while, and with ABG now in charge, I don't know if the fit has changed since.
I try it on first. They're somewhat inconsistent these days. I actually have one coming in the mail we'll see what happens. One time it fits, another it doesn't.

I don't buy any of the slim fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty