U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 AM

15,747 posts, read 11,767,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Women's sizing has changed AT LEAST twice since I started buying my own clothing in the 70s. What was a 6 turned into a 4, and then they did it again. So a size 8 in 1970 is now a size 4.

So certainly there is an issue of vanity involved, but the thing that bugs me about women's sizing is that it is and always has been so INCONSISTENT. A man can go buy a 32L and be sure that the next 32L is still a 32L. A size 14 shirt with 30" sleeve length 20 years ago is still a 14 with 30" sleeve length now.

This is why I HATE buying mail order clothing. I wear any of at least 3 different sizes and there is no telling which one until I actually try it on - or better, WASH it first and then see if it still fits.

Shoe sizes for women have also changed. Coming out of high school I wore an 11. Now I wear a 9.5 or 10, sometimes even a 9. I guarantee you my feet have not shrunk.
It depends on the country. Nobody wants to buy XXL. So the countries with lots of overweight people adjust their sizes so they don't feel bad about themselves. The companies make more profit that way.

Imagine a man having sex with a woman, taking her panties off and sees the L on the tag. His erection might go away. If he takes it off and it says "M" him and her will have a good time.

If I go to Italy, I have size M-L,. Here in the US = size S. Germany = M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:04 AM

10,089 posts, read 9,325,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It depends on the country. Nobody wants to buy XXL. So the countries with lots of overweight people adjust their sizes so they don't feel bad about themselves. The companies make more profit that way.

Imagine a man having sex with a woman, taking her panties off and sees the L on the tag. His erection might go away. If he takes it off and it says "M" him and her will have a good time.

If I go to Italy, I have size M-L,. Here in the US = size S. Germany = M.
LOL, the guys I've had sex with don't pay attention to tags that's for sure...

what gives them erections are how I look in the clothes and off.

I'm pretty certain that my husband really doesn't know what my size is.

FWIW I still wear L for length even if it is baggy everywhere else. Hey, gotta go with what fits, which is the subject of this thread..

Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL, the guys I've had sex with don't pay attention to tags that's for sure...

what gives them erections are how I look in the clothes and off.

I'm pretty certain that my husband really doesn't know what my size is.

FWIW I still wear L for length even if it is baggy everywhere else. Hey, gotta go with what fits, which is the subject of this thread..
Why do you think so many women wear clothes who are too tight and show every single of their rolls and the bra straps or muffin top? It is because they don't want to buy the size that fits. They want to buy the size that they THINK fits.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
I've noticed the discrepancy not only in clothing but in shoes also. I found a pair of red kitten heel pumps a while back and they were so comfortable that I bought them in black also. The red ones were and still are comfy while the black ones never were. Same size, same manufacturer, everything so what gives?

Old 03-09-2017, 01:10 PM

1,230 posts, read 965,607 times
Clothing sizes are too much all over the place for it to matter to me. Before I went on my trip to SE Asia in January, I bought a few tops at my local mall here in Houston - all XS or S. And some of the Smalls were still ballooning out at the waist.

When I got there, I was trying on polo shirts and in the non-stretchy ones, I was a size XXL.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
Clothing sizes are too much all over the place for it to matter to me. Before I went on my trip to SE Asia in January, I bought a few tops at my local mall here in Houston - all XS or S. And some of the Smalls were still ballooning out at the waist.

When I got there, I was trying on polo shirts and in the non-stretchy ones, I was a size XXL.

yes, when you buy/order clothes you always have to consider where they come from and where their market is and adjust your size in your mind.
I don't even go into Italian stores - their stuff is too short for me no matter what size I try on.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:45 PM

4,138 posts, read 5,951,632 times
I think everybody knows that vanity sizing has been around for years, for both men and women.

But what's more surprising to me is that I'd swear vanity sizing is running amok in men's shoes now. For all my adult life I wore a size 12. In the past year I've brought three pairs of good shoes. All of them looked great and fit well. And they were all size 11 or 11.5. My feet have not shrunk. I swear they haven't!

And you know what they say about men with big feet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or