U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:09 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Freya
This is one of my fave brands. But number one is Ewa Michalak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 AM

983 posts, read 458,960 times
36D Bras | Bare Necessities

Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 AM

1,811 posts, read 5,398,475 times
BareNecessities is great...I've bought many bras from them. Had not heard of Freya before. I hate when they advertise a large-busted bra but show a small-busted model. NOT helpful. This looks like a good bra -
Freya Sonic Sports Bra AA4892 at BareNecessities.com
but I can't tell if uniboob would happen. Really need to try it on.
Looks like the closest store that sells Freya is in Chattanooga, bummer.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:45 AM

10,131 posts, read 16,726,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Yeah I'm a 36D, I figured it out myself and then got double checked at JCPenney. A 34 is too tight; however I never tried a 34DD, that might work.
If you were wearing the right size, your OP wouldn't have so many complaints about strap length and support.

Quote:
I've been on the hunt for years for the ideal bra and it's not going well. What I'm seeking (and dying to know if anyone has found) is a bra with as much support as possible (both in front and back to balance the load), separation (I don't want them pushed together), and shorter straps so my breasts aren't so low.

I'm a 36D with a long torso, so my breasts look like they're in the middle of my body. I don't understand why every bra I get has such long straps...I have every one at the shortest setting and they still don't lift high enough. Because of my size the straps don't always stay there anyway. I spent $100 on a Unbelievabra and still have the same problem. I've had zero luck with sports bras. Most of them don't have underwire and push breasts together. I have no problem with tight fitting bras because I want as little movement as possible, but then there's the issue of back fat, side fat, etc.
Any of us can go to the store and put on a range of different sizes that "fit" but once you get the right fit it's a world of difference. It takes 10 pounds off you visually too.
The link that Jade gave explains away a common myth of bra sizing measurements (the +5 inches to your actual band measurements one) and tells you how to make a much better stab at your size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
1. Are you actually a 36D?

Based on your complaints it sounds like you are wearing a bra that is too big in the band. The straps are not designed to give you all the support - that is the job of the band.

I'd surmise you need to get properly sized first. Would not be shocked if your true size was more like a 32F or a 30G.

I'll post a link on how to properly measure to get a guesstimate. And then we can make proper suggestions.

You should get measured Nordstrom or a lingerie shop that has bands below 32 and cups above F - they will do a good job. Soma has a wide range of sizes for a mainstream stopes but sucks at fittings.

Thin and Curvy: How to measure your bra size, the correct way!

Old 03-11-2017, 01:58 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
I've been on the hunt for years for the ideal bra and it's not going well. I've been buying bras off the web, because the selection is just as good or better than what I see in stores. What I'm seeking (and dying to know if anyone has found) is a bra with as much support as possible (both in front and back to balance the load), separation (I don't want them pushed together), and shorter straps so my breasts aren't so low.

I'm a 36D with a long torso, so my breasts look like they're in the middle of my body. I don't understand why every bra I get has such long straps...I have every one at the shortest setting and they still don't lift high enough. Because of my size the straps don't always stay there anyway. I spent $100 on a Unbelievabra and still have the same problem. I've had zero luck with sports bras. Most of them don't have underwire and push breasts together. I have no problem with tight fitting bras because I want as little movement as possible, but then there's the issue of back fat, side fat, etc. Another problem with many bras (like Playtex) is the horizontal stitching line across the middle - what the F is up with that? You can see the line thru clothes, and it also tends to make the nipple more pointy. I want round/flat cups, not Madonna crap!

Is this search a lost cause? I don't understand why they can't make what I want. I can picture the ideal bra in my mind. Perhaps I am not looking on the right websites, maybe they exist but are much more expensive. Appreciate any bra suggestions.
Get yourself into a store that has a professional bra fitter. I would never attempt to try and find a fit via online.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,392,310 times
I agree with all of those who have recommended you get a proper fitting and then you can surely move on to the bra that will best fit those needs.

Feel the difference of a perfect-fitting bra.
Get a free professional bra fitting March 3-26.*
Find a Bra Fit Event near you

Select a State

https://www.kohls.com/sale-event/wom...r-clothing.jsp

Personally, I find the Vanity Fair bras work well for me but you may find something else that works better for your needs, get a proper fitting (or two) and see how that works for you.

https://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens...0-S-vanityfair

Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,523,893 times
Look up balconette bra. A style not brand.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:29 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I agree with all of those who have recommended you get a proper fitting and then you can surely move on to the bra that will best fit those needs.

Feel the difference of a perfect-fitting bra.
Get a free professional bra fitting March 3-26.*
Find a Bra Fit Event near you

Select a State

https://www.kohls.com/sale-event/wom...r-clothing.jsp

Personally, I find the Vanity Fair bras work well for me but you may find something else that works better for your needs, get a proper fitting (or two) and see how that works for you.

https://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens...0-S-vanityfair
Kohls doesn't have nearly enough sizes to give a good bra fitting.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:41 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,515,070 times
If you have one nearby, go to Rigby and Peller. They are a London-based company and it's where the Queen gets her bras. About a year or so ago, they bought out all the "Intimacy" stores which is where I got my first decent bra.

Recently, they informed me that they added a new piece of equipment called "3D Mirror" which takes 140 measurements in to seconds!

Before they had that, their fitters never used tape measures. They are trained to be able to look at you and figure out your size. Yes, that sounds odd but they know what they're doing.

The last time I got a department store fitting, I was told that I was a 48. At intimacy, I discovered that I was a 42 and had a larger cup size than I originally was told.

Be aware that these bras aren't cheap. I've built my collection slowly as a result as it is worth every penny. Also, they will make a bra to order for you. For example, they sent me an email with a coupon and the email had a nice looking bra that I wanted. When I got to the store, it wasn't in stock. They were willing to check every store in the country to see if there was one in my size and the color I wanted. When none could be found, they ordered it for me at no extra cost. In other words, I paid exactly what I would have paid had it been in-store. It took about 6 weeks to come in but that wasn't a problem. They will mail it to you if you want. I went to the store to pick it up because I wanted to make sure it fit properly.

Here is Rigby and Peller's website. Scroll down to the bottom to find if there is a boutique near you.

https://www.rigbyandpeller.com/INTER...20170312024032

Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,319,645 times
Warner Bra's at Kohls. www.Kohls.com About $40 with no sale, but Kohls has lots of sales! They works great for me. I'm a 36 D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty