U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:05 PM

19,051 posts, read 10,079,571 times

Advertisements

Don't bother going to Lane Bryant, their sizes are too big for you.

If you have a Nordstrom near you, they have trained fitters on staff, you don't need to wait for a special event. If not, I would look for a local boutique. The fitting events at places like Kohls and Penneys are usually done by a specific brand and they will fit you into their brand, not always what is the best fit for you.

I agree with those saying that it sounds like you are likely wearing the wrong size. When you go down a band size, you have to go up a cup size, and 34DD might be a better fit, but the reality is all brands run a little different and going in person means you get the brand and the style that works best. Some of them even do alterations, so they can make the straps shorter if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 PM

1,828 posts, read 778,529 times
The bra struggle is real. I am a 34DD (I think). I get sized each time I buy a bra, but sometimes they tell me different from the pervious time.
I'd love to just find the perfect bra/brand!
I am going to look into some of the suggestions posted. Good luck to you in your quest!

Old 03-11-2017, 08:40 PM

57 posts, read 44,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
The bra struggle is real. I am a 34DD (I think). I get sized each time I buy a bra, but sometimes they tell me different from the pervious time.
I'd love to just find the perfect bra/brand!
I am going to look into some of the suggestions posted. Good luck to you in your quest!
My sister says the best of the best is Maidenform. I think they sell it at Kohls.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM

11,535 posts, read 5,523,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If you were wearing the right size, your OP wouldn't have so many complaints about strap length and support.

Any of us can go to the store and put on a range of different sizes that "fit" but once you get the right fit it's a world of difference. It takes 10 pounds off you visually too.
The link that Jade gave explains away a common myth of bra sizing measurements (the +5 inches to your actual band measurements one) and tells you how to make a much better stab at your size.
Per the bolded --- This is so very true! Once I got the right fit, I noticed this right away. When I compared photos of myself with a poor fit against ones with a good fit, the difference was quite noticeable.

It's well worth the money to get a bra that fits perfectly!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:47 PM

1,829 posts, read 852,910 times
I like Cacique. I found a style I liked and now I buy them on Ebay. I put the size and model# in search and I have all different colors NWT

I was trying to stuff myself into a D and then a DD. I kept getting bigger band sizes which squashed my chest and the straps were constantly sliding down.

I wear a 36G and its perfect. I have CHF so I can't stand anything tight. It stays in place without smothering me.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 PM

573 posts, read 233,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I like Cacique. I found a style I liked and now I buy them on Ebay. I put the size and model# in search and I have all different colors NWT

I was trying to stuff myself into a D and then a DD. I kept getting bigger band sizes which squashed my chest and the straps were constantly sliding down.

I wear a 36G and its perfect. I have CHF so I can't stand anything tight. It stays in place without smothering me.
What is CHF?

Old 03-12-2017, 01:40 AM

11,535 posts, read 5,523,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
What is CHF?
Congestive Heart Failure

Old 03-12-2017, 05:56 AM

1,814 posts, read 5,401,973 times
The closest Rigby is in Atlanta. I appreciate everyone's input...let me clarify that the bras I have (size 36D) fit me very well; they are comfortable, not too tight or too loose anywhere, and have decent support...but I am stubborn about what I'm seeking. I just don't understand why all my bras have such long straps (maybe because of the size of the bra). There is no woman size 36D who has breasts higher than mine? I want the bras she's using. And I want straps that won't slide out of position (i.e. get longer) because of the weight of my breasts, also more back support should help with this.

The Cacique invisible backsmoother looks like something to try!

Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 AM

2,043 posts, read 1,856,819 times
Agree about getting the right sizing. However, I did try both high end (nordstrom) and moderate (jcpenney) and while they did determine the proper size, I didn't love the bras (wacoal) and they were pricey. I found also that in the actual stores, they don't have so many of the more obscure sizes and styles.
A few years ago in Kohl's I stumbled on a playtex bra that I loved. It had no seams, no padding but was a little thicker cups, adjustable straps, just a great bra. I bought it in numerous colors and was able to order it online as well if the store did not have it. Later, of course, I couldn't find it at all even online at kohl;s so I found from searching a very good website with many brands
.Women's Bras, Panties, Men's Underwear | NY Lingerie
I ordered more from them a few years ago and was very pleased. At this point, some 5 years later, the bra is totally discontinued and every search I do tells me it is not available. I have even tried searching for "if you liked xx playtex bra you will like...". to no avail.
In any case, I am now on the look out for a good bra. The amazing thing is that after all these years, those bras are still working great (but I realize that they can't last forever). So I am following this thread but thought I would mention that website as they do have a good assortment and free shipping- and frequently had some good promotions

Old 03-12-2017, 08:44 AM

5,618 posts, read 8,051,547 times
Surprised we've made it three pages without a mention of panache. I am a 34FF (after getting professionally fitted) and can basically pick one up their bras up anywhere and it works perfectly. They are mostly the balconette bra style. Also look into Nordstrom Rack. After getting professionally fit I went to the rack and dig around to find the size and pay way less. I just around a band size and cup and band size but end up right back at the 32ff. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty