U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 AM
 
7,986 posts, read 3,874,784 times
Reputation: 27370

Advertisements

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'll post it just in case.

Remember that when you buy a new bra, you should be fastening them on the first set of hooks, not the third. For the longest time, I was fastening all my bras on the third set of hooks (the furthest in) because I thought it was more secure. But bras are designed with three sets of hooks to allow for inevitable stretching. You start with the first set, and as you wear it, you gradually move in.

So when people say that they tried a certain band size and it was too tight, it might actually have been the right size. They were just using the wrong hooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
13,153 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Reputation: 27260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I've had good luck at Soma, and this particular one:

https://www.soma.com/store/product/e...251953125-3965

... has shorter straps; doesn't show under T-shirts, prevents uniboob etc.
Crap; they don't have my size I love that purple shade! I wear Chantelle, and every bra they have is that "nude" color that doesn't look like any real human being's skin tone. I would love to get some pretty bras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2017, 10:55 AM
 
4,112 posts, read 3,450,347 times
Reputation: 8192
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I'll post it just in case.

Remember that when you buy a new bra, you should be fastening them on the first set of hooks, not the third. For the longest time, I was fastening all my bras on the third set of hooks (the furthest in) because I thought it was more secure. But bras are designed with three sets of hooks to allow for inevitable stretching. You start with the first set, and as you wear it, you gradually move in.

So when people say that they tried a certain band size and it was too tight, it might actually have been the right size. They were just using the wrong hooks.
That is a very good point. Most of the support comes from the band & it needs be snug. Fit band size first.

So if it is snug on the tightest hooks at first wearing, you should get a smaller band size and then different cup size.

Another thing is if you go up & down in weight, your bra will fit differently. Right now I weigh 10 more pounds than I should. My 34 DD bras are cup runneth slightly over, even though the band fits properly. I am reducing weight ASAP to normal. But if it wasn't temporary, I would need go up a cup size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2017, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Reputation: 25988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Crap; they don't have my size I love that purple shade! I wear Chantelle, and every bra they have is that "nude" color that doesn't look like any real human being's skin tone. I would love to get some pretty bras.
Here is a cool brand: https://www.nubianskin.com/global/

Wide selection of skin tones. Sadly not enough sizes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,086 posts, read 5,500,568 times
Reputation: 6407
I'm in my 60's with 36D, big ole honkin boobies that weigh a ton. Been wearing the same bra for years -- Bali Lace 'n Smooth, for a couple reasons:

No seam in the cup.

NON-stretch straps, so your boobs don't bounce when walking. These are really hard to find.

Good coverage at cleavage area and on sides so you don't have spillage.

Underwire (a must); I can pull the straps up as high as I can to hoist up those babies.

I know they don't fit exactly right, but when I went for a fitting at Beall's (local FL store), she tried a bunch of bras on me and what we came back to was: the Bali Lace 'n Smooth that I was already wearing!

I would really like to have one custom-made -- any options for that in US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Reputation: 25988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm in my 60's with 36D, big ole honkin boobies that weigh a ton. Been wearing the same bra for years -- Bali Lace 'n Smooth, for a couple reasons:

No seam in the cup.

NON-stretch straps, so your boobs don't bounce when walking. These are really hard to find.

Good coverage at cleavage area and on sides so you don't have spillage.

Underwire (a must); I can pull the straps up as high as I can to hoist up those babies.

I know they don't fit exactly right, but when I went for a fitting at Beall's (local FL store), she tried a bunch of bras on me and what we came back to was: the Bali Lace 'n Smooth that I was already wearing!

I would really like to have one custom-made -- any options for that in US?
You probably do not need a custom bra. You do need a brand with a much larger size range than Bali. Do you have a specialty lingerie shop in your city? Look for ones that carry Freya, Cleo, Fantasie, Panache, or Chantelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top