Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:22 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

The only people I've seen who have reddish-brown "tans" are people who were already naturally brown-skinned, and got a sunburn on top of it. It gives their skin a rich mahogany tone. Non-brownies can't pull it off. That's the breaks. There are some things in life you just can't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 03:34 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Are you a light skinned person? Then, if you spend your youth trying to get a tan, you can expect to spend your middle and old age dealing with skin cancer and precancerous lesions.

I have a large number of light skinned relatives who have had varying degrees of skin cancer through the years. The old timers who wore hats and long sleeves anytime they were out in the sun actually had it right. Check out what the professional yardmen in the South wear: long sleeved white shirts, long pants, and wide brimmed hats.

And, for that matter, dark skinned people can get sunburned too. People with both Hispanic (Amerindian and Mediterranean European) and African ancestry can experience sunburn and skin cancer, although the additional melanin in their skin means it takes a lot more exposure before the damage is done.

Don't forget that skin cancer being largely a disease of the middle aged and elderly (i.e., their reproductive years are behind them) there has been no evolutionary pressure to develop a resistance to it.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoWoods302 View Post
How could I get a reddish brown tan, though? Thanks for the information! Very helpful.
you will only tan to a shade your own skin colors with exposure to sun. if you want to get some color do it wisely. short small doses with some type of sun screen to protect you from the burning rays. there really is no need today to get a tan from the sun when there are so many self tanners that work pretty well.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:29 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
How could I get a reddish brown tan, though? Thanks for the information! Very helpful.
You get a reddish brown tan by staying out the sun long enough that you keep burning after you have a tan...so you keep staying out longer and longer. Doing more and more damage to your skin. You sound really young...believe me - when you hit 40 you'll be crying that you spent time burning in the sun when you are freckled, wrinkled, and have skin that looks like leather.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:00 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I'm naturally tanned/brown. The only way my skin gets red is if it burns, otherwise I bronze. My father is a tad darker than me and has a reddish glow but it's really just brown turning to burn. Listen, don't try to get something that you can't get naturally. I am a bottle blonde but I know that it's bad for my hair and if I continue I'll damage it severely so I intend to stop after a couple of months. I'm sure you look great without a super dark tan.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
My father had a ruddy complexion, and he tanned reddish brown. But was very light skinned, and never tanned dark. I would also tan that color, if I could tan. But I usually burn and peel back to very pale. Learned when I was very young it was way too much trouble for pretty much no results. Now, at 57, I look like I'm in my early 40's. Friend off mine same age, sun worshipper -- looks like she's in her 60's...late 60's.

So...don't do this....

Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
I don't tan. Even trying to stay out of the sun I know I WILL have skin cancer at some point. Both parents had varying degrees and my brother had melanoma. Being mostly German in the Texas sun didn't help even without ever trying to tan. Dermatologists have told me this since I was 30 and I've got some places I need to check now in areas that haven't seen the sun in 15+ years. I am doing a beach spring break so I just tried Fake Bake. If you don't wash it off it's definitely got a red tint (I do rinse it as I'm just trying to add a bit of color to my translucent legs). I highly recommend you find a self tanner that gets you the color you want. Don't think you're too young ... my best friend died at 25 from melanoma that metastasized into a brain tumor. It started at 21.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Quote:
No AD fro Walmart gives an orange glow. Start a few days before and you'll get that awful orange/red glow!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Maybe you should try a spray tan. Using Palm Beach Tan as an example they have: Warm brown undertones, Cool brown with violet undertones, warm brown with red undertones, warm brown with golden undertones. If you try a spray tan always do "light" the first time.

I've had skin cancer -melanoma at 20, and still can't stay away from tanning/sun.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:18 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Use a sunless tanner mixed with a little bit of natural sun. That will be the best you can do. If you don't naturally tan a "reddish" color, you just won't get that way unless you use a cosmetic (spray-on) fake tan.

My skin turns golden in the sun. I am Spanish but naturally pretty fair-skinned but with brown eyes. I never let myself burn. I don't "sun-bathe." The tan I get comes from my bike ride I do every day (about an hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty