U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about long hair on men?
LOVE IT! 55 54.46%
HATE IT! 43 42.57%
Men have hair? 3 2.97%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:13 PM

8,655 posts, read 4,795,826 times

Advertisements

I love long hair, bald, and everything in between. Especially the Man Bun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,420,740 times
This thread turned out luscious. Too bad I can't rep all of you. I'm OK with old guys having long hair. HA HA @ the post about the engineers running to the window; the joys of working in an all male environment. Sounds like comedy gold. About the nazi (buzz cut?) hair. Yeah what IS that? Austerity chic?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 AM

1,022 posts, read 446,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post

In a way, I feel like maybe we should all be more understanding and just accept the guy as they are. Some guys have short hair, because they can't grow their hair out. Likewise, some guys like to have long hair because it grows out. I think most women eventually learn to just accept the man however they are, which is what I would hope.
Well now, that's real life, isn't it? This thread is a bit of fantasy for me. Sure I wish it was my everyday reality, but my reality is that what's in a man's heart & brains is a 1000x more important than the length of his hair. I admit when I was younger, I dated based on looks, but as I became more mature, I dated based on the person as a whole. Long haired guys can be jerks & bald guys can be amazing. It's about the person. But hey, if they happen to be fabulous AND have long, black hair down to their butts, even better

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM

491 posts, read 231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Well now, that's real life, isn't it? This thread is a bit of fantasy for me. Sure I wish it was my everyday reality, but my reality is that what's in a man's heart & brains is a 1000x more important than the length of his hair. I admit when I was younger, I dated based on looks, but as I became more mature, I dated based on the person as a whole. Long haired guys can be jerks & bald guys can be amazing. It's about the person. But hey, if they happen to be fabulous AND have long, black hair down to their butts, even better
Yeah, I guess that's part of maturity. With me, it's more about personality, how they react to things, their morals and how you get along with the person. When you find someone you're compatible with and you like them, then it can be good.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,016,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Yeah, I guess that's part of maturity. With me, it's more about personality, how they react to things, their morals and how you get along with the person. When you find someone you're compatible with and you like them, then it can be good.
While I agree with your premise with regard to everyday life, you're taking this too seriously. It's a given in life we should (and typically do) learn to accept people as they are. We're mostly Average Joes/Plain Janes after all. This is an anonymous forum which implies superficial and vain ideals. It's ok to give shallow answers while while being realistic in everyday life. That's what only an opinionated discussion that's based on fantasy (er, forum) is all about.

As for me I go for shorter hair, as it's common where I live. Having mentioned that, I doubt most women preferring short hair would complain if a few celebrities decided to grow/keep their hair long: Chris Hemsworth, Aidan Turner, Christian Bale, Jason Momoa, Gabriel Aubry, Colin Farrell, etc. (They can wear it as long or as short as they like as far as I'm concerned.)

Last edited by LexWest; 03-20-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM

644 posts, read 338,778 times
If the man takes care of it, getting it trimmed regularly and using good hair products, it's fine.

The ones who just let it go, without care or trimming off the split ends, it's so very not fine.

And some people simply look better with short hair than long.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM

3,608 posts, read 1,524,512 times
Just don't be the bald guy with the ponytail.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM

491 posts, read 231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
While I agree with your premise with regard to everyday life, you're taking this too seriously. It's a given in life we should (and typically do) learn to accept people as they are. We're mostly Average Joes/Plain Janes after all. This is an anonymous forum which implies superficial and vain ideals. It's ok to give shallow answers while while being realistic in everyday life. That's what only an opinionated discussion that's based on fantasy (er, forum) is all about.

As for me I go for shorter hair, as it's common where I live. Having mentioned that, I doubt most women preferring short hair would complain if a few celebrities decided to grow/keep their hair long: Chris Hemsworth, Aidan Turner, Christian Bale, Jason Momoa, Gabriel Aubry, Colin Farrell, etc. (They can wear it as long or as short as they like as far as I'm concerned.)
I guess I could say the converse that I do prefer long hair in women as well. I always think it's funny when my hair's longer than the girl's hair. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:21 AM

5,537 posts, read 3,803,486 times
I've had my hair long, short, spiky, or buzzed. Out of all of it, I do not look good with a buzzed head. However, IF I ever start losing my hair, I will shave it, because I cannot stand the thoughts of having bald spots on the top of my head. It's all or nothing for me.

That being said, I always felt I looked my best with a spiky look. I don't think the spiky look is in anymore, but I enjoyed that look the best. It was an easy style and you could kind of style it "messy" and it would look really good. But, my hair grows so fast that it became a chore keeping it styled that way. My wife likes a bit longer hair that she can run her fingers through, so I started growing my hair out. I haven't had it cut for several months, and will probably get it trimmed a bit in the next month or so. Some days, it looks good, other days, it's hard to manage. I told her I'd deal with it for awhile until I get to the point to where I can't stand it any longer and I'll cut it short. I'm just letting it get past an awkward stage until I see if it's a style I want to keep. I'm 42 years old, so I don't want to look like I'm trying to look 16, but I don't want to look my age.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:48 AM

21,022 posts, read 25,817,479 times
I'm a fan of long hair on men, but (sorry guys) the man has to be at least moderately good looking. Or at a very minimum, average looking. Longhair on a short fat basement dweller with pimples and thick lens glasses is not going to be that fellow's best look.

Also, long hair has to be kept clean and tidy or it starts to look homeless-crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or