U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times

Advertisements

Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 PM

241 posts, read 265,892 times
Yes, I know a few. None of them are dumber than any other people.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:06 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
Yes, my friends son has been in magazines and on TV. He no longer models but he's definitely hot

Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 AM

3,134 posts, read 3,954,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
In thousands of hours on forums and other online communities, I've never run into a male model who was then participating. With female models, at least once. I'm sure female models are more common and I know enough about them anyway (there are even documentaries about them) - this is about how little I (we?) know about male models. I've never talked a male model in person either, by the way (I have seen some suspected models at the gym and ex-model Ashton Kutcher elsewhere).

Is being intellectual a rarity among models? (That would explain why they're not in the online communities I like.) Do men who model have much interest in fashion? Someone like Gandy does, but for example Jeremy Meeks maybe not.
Spoiler
And he makes me angry.
Where do they shop for clothing? Very successful ones probably shop (or are shopped for) at high-end places and are given free clothing, but most models male or female don't earn big money. And I - with similar proportions - could use a few affordable fashion retailers with clothes that don't need alterations.
One of my personal trainers is an UNDERWEAR model. He's worked with the big-name photographers, had a spread in Muscle & Fitness, been on the cover of Men's Health (or vice-versa), done commercials, etc. His Western Wear photos have been particularly iconic - used commercially, and "reblogged" on Tumblr/Blogspot, endlessly. He's a wonderful person - truly HEALING to be around. But yes, he's incessantly checking himself out in my mirrors, and is VERY interested in clothing - specifically how clothing makes HIM look. He's hetero, by the way, which is his downfall. Coping with the demands of possessive female troublemakers, plus child support, and the endless complications inherent in having children, are RUINING HIS LIFE.

No, he's not an intellectual. He can barely read. He's like a small child, in that he does not understand saving (or investing) or checking accounts, or ANYTHING financial. I know people who manage musicians, who say the same things about THEM. Then again, he can work all the gizmos on my phone, and all the gizmos on my cars. Normally, my personal assistants have to work my phones for me, and NOBODY has used those car gadgets, before - not even the kids, who're TOTALLY absorbed in their various objectives. So, it's nice somebody, finally, is exploring all that electronic stuff in our vehicles.

He's only now, starting to process the fact that the people in my circle - particularly me and my children, are multilingual, and that we segue between dialects, accents, languages, and 'voices' (and between factual and farcial). He doesn't understand most of the ENGLISH words we use, and so has no idea, when we're weaving-in French, Italian, Yiddish, Russian, and Hebrew. He does, however, know when I'm speaking Spanish to landscaping crews at my office parks (How THAT happened is a mystery. I went out of my way, to NOT learn Spanish. Then again, I resisted learning German - but that just sort of happened, too, somehow, when we were studying the Shoah, and after I discovered German Techno music.). HE, however, has only one voice, only one accent, only one dialect, and only one language (very deep, very masculine, very 'country', and very sexy).

But have you ever listened to an interview with a musician? They, too, seem completely unable to express themselves, verbally - to the point where you wonder whether they're even having THOUGHTS.

He breaks things. WE handle everything, as if it were a precious object. In contrast to us, he scuffs the leather in my cars, scratches the rosewood of case pieces, scuffs the polycarbonate of my Philippe Starck chairs, destroys finishes (when the 'Fake Bake' transfers onto objects from his skin), breaks our food processors in record time (not that they last very long, anyway, these days), puts his hands on the flat paint of walls, somehow causes abrasion on down-filled brocatelle upholstery, gets fingerprints on the vermeil, splashes water all over the powder rooms, gets soap down into the hand-chased gilt faucet handles...

Then again, I've seen better gains, with him, than with any other trainer. And he calms me down.

As for the 'intellectuals' on Internet fora: I MISSED THEM. There may have been a time, when the Internet was for the Intelligentsia. I was too busy with work, back then, and missed all of that. From what I'm seeing, most people playing on their computers, now, are the intellectual equals of my Trainer.

And as for FASHION models, have you SEEN the ugly little things that have been modeling men's clothing, for the last couple of decades? Today, everybody seems to be using these hideous, scrawny little creatures, with disgusting grease-mop, up-do hairdos. YECCCCCCCCCH! Emporio Armani classic suits for men - Armani.com

Why would any man want to look like THEM?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-24-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-24-2017, 01:48 PM

724 posts, read 1,107,466 times
My nephew is a model. He is in his mid 20's, and is located in NYC. Pretty exclusively he does editorial print and runway; runway is his preference because it can be more easily scheduled to his other obligations and interests. He has a distinctive look; I would not call him "pretty" and certainly not "cute".

He attends graduate school, plays in a chamber music group, and is a freelance writer. He would not identify himself as a full time model. He is gay and lives with his partner in Brooklyn. He tends to be quiet, introspective and stays close to home. He is not a stoner or a clubber. He is interested in, but not obsessed with fashion and style.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:58 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,276,587 times
Yes one of my friends is a model that has walked runways and now he's transitioned into acting. He's not dumb as a box of rocks and stays on top of what's going on and is very vocal about what's happening around the world and uses his social media platform to speak and bring awareness to problematic issues. He started modeling after he graduated high school.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,111,724 times
This thread is a surprise minor hit. At the same time, it bothers me, for people keep insisting I meant a Zoolander stereotype when all I meant is that, for example, someone probably seldom reads books and doesn't like independent films. He's also unlikely to, oh, ask questions online about human nature. Non-intellectual isn't a synonym for stupid.
Spoiler
I do suspect that many fitness models are dumb

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-27-2017 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or