U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,084,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
On the radio today I heard some guys saying men should button their shirts from the bottom up. The other way is how women do it.

I am 37 years old and have always done it from the top down because that's how my mother taught me. She was a single mother and I've never had a male role model so this floors me and kind of makes me wonder what other things I do that are supposed to be how women do it?

Which wrist should my watch be on?
I'm a woman and I button from the bottom up so I don't miss any buttons. There are no rules about how to button your clothes. Good grief.

Wear your watch on whichever wrist is comfortable for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM

20,369 posts, read 25,533,643 times
Button any way you want as long as your shirt isn't crooked. I never heard of a right or a wrong way. Same with shoe tying

I wear my watch on my left wrist but have seen left handed people wear it on their right wrist.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,924,479 times
Quote:
On the radio today I heard some guys saying men should button their shirts from the bottom up. The other way is how women do it.
I am 37 years old and have always done it from the top down because that's how my mother taught me. She was a single mother and I've never had a male role model so this floors me and kind of makes me wonder what other things I do that are supposed to be how women do it?
There is no handbook, law or general guidelines regarding how to button your shirt, where to place your wrist watch *other than on your wrist*, how do tie your shoes, which socks to wear, what color tie goes with your underwear or which sweater the guinea pig should wear each day.
Whatever is your preferred method is how you should do things and you should not pay attention to the
*professionals that are self proclaimed* in the fashion arena.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:30 PM

32,172 posts, read 39,311,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Button any way you want as long as your shirt isn't crooked. I never heard of a right or a wrong way. Same with shoe tying

I wear my watch on my left wrist but have seen left handed people wear it on their right wrist.

Shoe laces? My God, the laces go outside over inside.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:32 PM

5,545 posts, read 3,813,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I always start buttoning from the middle. I must be a weirdo.

And the watch always on the left wrist. Always. No excuses.
You must not be left handed.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:38 PM

9,549 posts, read 13,388,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
There is no handbook, law or general guidelines regarding how to button your shirt, where to place your wrist watch *other than on your wrist*, how do tie your shoes, which socks to wear, what color tie goes with your underwear or which sweater the guinea pig should wear each day.
Whatever is your preferred method is how you should do things and you should not pay attention to the
*professionals that are self proclaimed* in the fashion arena.
I'm thinking of putting my socks on after my shoes....

Old 03-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,479 posts, read 50,784,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually I find that I mis-button my shirts more when starting at the bottom.

A more important question, rather two, is whether one should put the left or right sock on first and before or after your underwear.
You forgot one, a sock and a sock, or a sock and a shoe? I always put on my underwear before my socks,
and the socks go left first, then right. Same with shoes.

I must be an anomaly, because I start buttoning my shirts in the middle, down to the bottom, then from the middle up. The mirror prevents mis-buttoning.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,924,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm thinking of putting my socks on after my shoes....
We discussed this topic a couple years ago:

My husband puts his right sock on first............

Old 03-15-2017, 03:26 PM

11,589 posts, read 17,539,799 times
Quote:

The OP has to be a woman - it's inconsequential. Such trivial thoughts like "which way should I button my shirt" does not enter men's thoughts although mysteriously it might be an important topic to a woman. We don't think about it, we don't care, it's simply done.
Our minds are full of other important stuff like sports, woman, beer, and sometimes work stuff.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:45 PM

5,227 posts, read 1,990,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You forgot one, a sock and a sock, or a sock and a shoe? I always put on my underwear before my socks,
and the socks go left first, then right. Same with shoes.

I must be an anomaly, because I start buttoning my shirts in the middle, down to the bottom, then from the middle up. The mirror prevents mis-buttoning.

I guess I too button starting in the middle most of the time. How to put on your socks and shoes was demonstrated in All in the Family. Meathead explained it to Archie that it is a sock and a shoe so that if you have to leave the house because it is on fire you can stand on one foot and have that foot still stay dry instead of two feet in socks but wet.

I know I put on shoes and socks differently in the summer and the winter. In the winter I will put on my socks and slippers and not put on my shoes until I leave the house. In the summer, if I need to wear socks I will put them on as I am leaving and then it is a sock and a shoe, not sure which foot is going to be first though. with retirement and summer coming it will be no socks and no socks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or