U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 2,818,158 times

Advertisements

The trend of puffy winter jackets is the dumbest thing in fashion for men I've seen in years. I'm no fashion maven but first noticed them only several years ago, at REI of all places.

As a size XL man, I wouldn't go near anything that makes me or anyone else look like a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I have literally never seen another fashion trend that looks worse on a non-metro, burly man. I'm not beyond staying within fashion and being just a bit daring, but these are step beyond in my opinion.

On a woman, they almost work, in bright colors...yellow and orange. In fact with the right accessories they do look a bit avant guard on a medium to small build woman. An ex of mine had one in yellow, and with her blond hair and blue eyes and petite build it actually worked very well (she was quite fashionable). Dull/drab and darker colors, though, look like hand me downs from c. 1972 similar to bell bottoms.

I've watched men's fashion trends come and go from teen to adulthood, including (though not limited to): mullets, sneakers, white socks and shoes, acid washed jeans, leather overcoats. I succumbed to all the previous, they came and went without much comment and off to the Goodwill eventually.

Puffy jackets and other effete wear for men, though...other thoughts? Anyone you know wear them well? They are *everywhere* as winter winds down here in Western WA State, trend capital for the most-fashionable I guess.

Or, convince me otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,229,345 times
I was just thinking this morning how much I hate the puffy, quilted-looking jackets. Everyone seems to wear them here, especially in the rain. I'm not a fan of them on anyone. Ha- I am just now noticing that we live near one another. I prefer a more linear jacket/coat line. I think the puffy ones look especially gross all wet and slippery.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 PM

72,694 posts, read 64,172,365 times
What type of jackets are we discussion, exactly? Down jackets or synthetic down jackets? They're by no means new. Is it some new twist on winter jackets?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 AM

3,587 posts, read 1,515,636 times
I remember when big puffy down jackets first became popular in the mid 70s. I have recently noticed an increase again in people wearing this kind of coat (when they are not on the ski slopes, that is).

When they first came out, I thought they made you look like a giant segmented annelid. I still think that. But I don't see how puffy down coats are related to metrosexualness.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 PM

3,474 posts, read 4,551,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
The trend of puffy winter jackets is the dumbest thing in fashion for men I've seen in years. I'm no fashion maven but first noticed them only several years ago, at REI of all places.

As a size XL man, I wouldn't go near anything that makes me or anyone else look like a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I have literally never seen another fashion trend that looks worse on a non-metro, burly man. I'm not beyond staying within fashion and being just a bit daring, but these are step beyond in my opinion.

On a woman, they almost work, in bright colors...yellow and orange. In fact with the right accessories they do look a bit avant guard on a medium to small build woman. An ex of mine had one in yellow, and with her blond hair and blue eyes and petite build it actually worked very well (she was quite fashionable). Dull/drab and darker colors, though, look like hand me downs from c. 1972 similar to bell bottoms.

I've watched men's fashion trends come and go from teen to adulthood, including (though not limited to): mullets, sneakers, white socks and shoes, acid washed jeans, leather overcoats. I succumbed to all the previous, they came and went without much comment and off to the Goodwill eventually.

Puffy jackets and other effete wear for men, though...other thoughts? Anyone you know wear them well? They are *everywhere* as winter winds down here in Western WA State, trend capital for the most-fashionable I guess.

Or, convince me otherwise.
Do you mean down/synthetic jackets? Of *course* REI sells them. They've been around for decades and folks who spend a lot of time in the outdoors wear them to keep warm, hence, you know, an *outdoor outfitter* selling them.

They're hardly "effete" lol

Old 03-16-2017, 04:48 PM

1,683 posts, read 918,942 times
They're great if you like to look like the Michelin Man. I think those jackets (and "Tims") were popular with the paninaro in the 80's.

Last edited by RP2C; 03-16-2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-16-2017, 05:01 PM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times
Never liked them. prefer a casual windbreaker that I can wear jumpers under if its cold ..

Old 03-16-2017, 08:30 PM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
I hate them - can't understand why anybody would want to make themselves look like a shapeless blob. Now if someone was climbing Mt. Everest I could understand wearing them. Certain things people just need to ignore when it comes to fashion. Puffy jackets and the new mom jeans with the plastic cut-out at the knees is another one. :-)

Sometimes I think the designers are laughing at us trying to come up with the most ridiculous fashion to see who will be the first to start the new "trend".

Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM

21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I hate them - can't understand why anybody would want to make themselves look like a shapeless blob. Now if someone was climbing Mt. Everest I could understand wearing them. Certain things people just need to ignore when it comes to fashion. Puffy jackets and the new mom jeans with the plastic cut-out at the knees is another one. :-)

Sometimes I think the designers are laughing at us trying to come up with the most ridiculous fashion to see who will be the first to start the new "trend".
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
They're great if you like to look like the Michelin Man. I think those jackets (and "Tims") were popular with the paninaro in the 80's.

Says the posters from North Carolina and Florida.....

Colorado says wear whatever you like and keeps you warm.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM

1,683 posts, read 918,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Says the posters from North Carolina and Florida.....

Colorado says wear whatever you like and keeps you warm.
I was born in NY and lived in NY for decades before moving to NC 3 years ago. (I will not complain about the better weather!) I do know something about being cold, but no matter the forecast or wind-chill, a "puffy-coat" never seemed like the go-to option; one more layer usually worked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or