U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscratch View Post
Okay, everybody needs to shut Mod cut: language up about weight. Right now I weigh 149 lbs. and I am /not/ overweight. You wanna know how I know? My doctor told me so. She was even shocked that I thought I was overweight. But keep in mind, I exercise. I do yoga pretty regularly, I have to walk my dog and my job requires physical labor. Also remember that muscle is more dense than fat so just because you see you are gaining weight does not mean you are gaining fat. And just so you know I have no problem fitting into a size 8. Or 6 for that matter. So to all you people saying that a girl around 5'3" or something close to that that weights around 150 pounds is fat, you need to shut Mod cut: languageup. You don't know anything about their lives so just but out. And to all the other girls out there like me, WE ARE NOT OVERWEIGHT. And if you really want to know if you are, ask your doctor. They know more about this subject than you do.

Regardless why do you care so much about what everyone else is thinking? There lays the issue.

Based on your BMI using the numbers provided you would be considered overweight by those standards, but not to a concerning level.

Use of the BMI or any other general measure is just a guideline or screening tool and does not remove the need to use critical thinking.

You are 100% correct muscle does weigh more than fat tissue. The BMI does not take this into consideration. I was once showing some students how to calculate the BMI andexplaining how to interpret weight based on it and I had this male studentwith a smaller height very shocked that it suggested he was obese. He was absolutely ripped. Extremely muscular as he was actively weight training.

His facial expression made me laugh. I had to explain to him that when a real person is actually doing an assessment they take these factors in to consideration. When someone is just using guidelines blindly the interpretations can be inaccurate and misleading. These tools help screen for a concern, but further analysis and critical thinking is still needed.

You could ask your doctor or even better a Registered Dietitian.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:58 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am at the gym every second day, look visibly toned, flat belly, close to having my veins pop in my arms.

I am 5'11" and 136 lbs. I could go to 140 lbs.
But at 150 I would feel and look overweight. The only way I would be able to have 150 and not look chubby is when I would be a competing athlete and working out several hours a day. Which OP doesn't.

OP says she has lots of muscles from work and walking her dog. If she thinks that walking a dog makes you muscular, I doubt her whole post.
You BMI is 19 at your current weight. Technically based on your height, weighing up to ~175 lb would still be in the acceptable range based on your height. The way someone feels about their weight and the clinical reality or findings are not the same thing.

People are built differently and their bodies respond differently to different types of physical activity. Where weight/ fat accumulates on the body when someone gains weight is also different from person to person. I walk for 1 to 2 hours a day and my lower calves are extremely muscular and other parts of my body are not.

I don't doubt what she is saying any more then I would doubt what you are saying as both situations are possible.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM

6,128 posts, read 2,216,367 times
This fat-acceptance nonsense is dangerous. Keep your delusions to yourself.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM

39,356 posts, read 14,429,150 times
This thread has been cleaned up of inappropriate and off-topic posts. It is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or