U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:47 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,114,900 times

Advertisements

Oh LOL. I finished that article and linked onto another one, which is what I was referring to, these 2 women look so alike to me:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/innocent...181623226.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,639,398 times
Maybe S&S is referreing to the story at the bottom with the size 16 woman next to the size 6 woman (Wasley and Gibbs) But other than them and Bidot there's three other women mentioned in that article. Some clarification is in order.

...nevermind

Last edited by Tourian; 03-18-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 12:02 PM

711 posts, read 387,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Maybe in pounds she is but that is almost where it ends. Typical women aren't as pretty as she is nor have the shape she does. The average woman cant just be sloppy and eat their way into a body like that so I will never understand the backlash plus sized models get. They are still models and should be considered that with no qualifiers because a lot of it is genetics that get them the work. But she and others like her should be more in demand because like a few previous posters have said it makes more sense and is a better representation of the product for women to be able to see what a swimsuit (or any garment) looks like on someone who has boobs and a butt, a tummy and some thighs rather then being on rail thin straight up and down models all the time.
To this point, I'm curious if anyone that's in the target market for these ads found anything they'd buy based on the way the suits were pictured?

I tend more toward tank styles - but if I was looking for a two piece/bikini I'd probably go with the first suit (the green/grey one). I like the way the top is cut and like the band around the base of the top. The bottom looks like something you could move in comfortably without having to adjust every 60 seconds. The second one (floral) looks way too constricting on top for me. The one with the lattice work is cute for maybe just floating around but the legs are cut too high on the sides for me and the top doesn't look like it would hold in place very well if you were actually swimming or moving your arms at all.

Anyone else?

Old 03-18-2017, 03:11 PM

26,875 posts, read 28,154,657 times
I prefer bra sized suits so target doesn't work for me, but they look super cute. I did get a non bra sized bikini on clearance last year but it hasn't been worn. It did have an underwire which made it more promising fit wise. It was also high waisted. I think that can be a flattering look and give you all the bikini benefits - easier to fit for people different sizes top/bottom and way easier to go to the bathroom.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
She's a beautiful woman. Her face is still "beautiful." I like men with lots of meat on them, and i'm meaty. I don't mind fat anywhere, on any body. Tired of body-type or weight being talked about, actually, but i know it will always be in my lifetime. I just wish we had had social media when i was young instead of only Playboy. Boy did i feel like crap about myself! And i wasnt even "fat" when i was young, just didnt look like a Playmate lol.

So glad to see girls and young women being taught that they're OK if they DON'T look like the models. And yes, as i young girl i thought that's what we were supposed to look like. I got Seventeen Magazine, Teen, Glamour, etc. and they never showed anyone that wasn't bone thin (I snuck the looks at Playboy . )

Old 03-18-2017, 04:25 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Sure, America is overweight, but I don't think very overweight should be portrayed as a standard of beauty to emulate.
Nobody should try to look like anyone else, that's what should be taught. Everyone has their own unique beauty. SO few people look like the models do that it's ridiculous. The mental health of young girls suffers because they try so hard to look like a supermodel when for probably 90% of them it's impossible. Be yourself.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I don't look to people modeling attire for Target as people whose lifestyles I'm set on emulating. So I don't necessarily think that models whose shape more accurately reflects that of a large number of customers are "setting a bad example" or anything.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:31 PM

72,681 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Looks like she's overweight to me.
She's a borderline plus-size model.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,213,337 times
I thought that the myth of "cellulite" had been busted long ago. And is Target also promoting arthritis, heart trouble and type II diabetes? In recent years, some heavy teenagers have already developed those disorders. It's a matter of health and survival. Being "your own person", doesn't make it any less hazardous to your life-long well-being.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:11 PM

6,081 posts, read 2,300,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She's a borderline plus-size model.
She was in the Lane Bryant (plus size) swim suit campaign, there's a pic of her in the "big hips" thread.

The caption under this picture connected to the link states:
"I am feeling alive and ready to take on the day after a great workout at muscle beach. This @Targetstyle suit was the perfect piece to wear. I was able to stay cool and the cut of the suit kept everything in place."

I know I'll sound like an ass, but I'm looking at her legs hips and just don't think she's been working out. Is that the look she's been going for when working out?

I don't have cellulite, I believe that's genetic or because I don't sit still much, I'm probably 20- lbs overweight, and there's no way in hell I'd be working out on the public beach in a bikini. Maybe that's because I'm old, but I think it'll be many years or a decade before this doesn't get a double take and some whispers while she's lunging squatting near the shore.
Just IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or