U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 3,805,667 times
Reputation: 4289

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Actually that link states this:

18.5 to 24.9 ​Normal weight
25 to 29.9 ​Overweight
​30 + ​Obesity
​40 + ​ Extreme obesity

I don't accept that fat or obese is *normal*. I think it's wrong to treat a serious medical problem with acceptance. It's an epidemic, for sure, but not a condition that we should ever consider as normal.

And it's not just an "American" thing either.

How did Britain get so fat?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ies-overweight


29 Most Obese Countries In The World - WorldAtlas.com
Obesity is just ONE symptom within the larger epidemic of malnutrition that people of all sizes are currently dealing with. "Thinner" and "healthier" do not mean the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM
 
847 posts, read 444,139 times
Reputation: 3238
I don't care about the ad so much, but I am alarmed how much obesity is now being normalized even for younger generations. It's one thing for someone to get heavier as they age (50's and 60's), but another for so many young people to be very overweight. Target aims for the younger crowd so that ad just normalizes a body that should be for an older woman, not a teen.

And you may say, who cares about fat or thin? How dare anyone fat shame? We'll we all will have to pay when the young obese grow into the old obese with diabetes and heart disease. If you visit the caregiver forum there are many who struggle to provide full physical care for a loved one with chronic health problems. Obesity just complicates that immensely. Our country already struggles with healthcare so I shudder to think of what we will face as obesity becomes normalized for the very young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Encino, CA
3,413 posts, read 2,893,826 times
Reputation: 5789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I don't care about the ad so much, but I am alarmed how much obesity is now being normalized even for younger generations. It's one thing for someone to get heavier as they age (50's and 60's), but another for so many young people to be very overweight. Target aims for the younger crowd so that ad just normalizes a body that should be for an older woman, not a teen.

And you may say, who cares about fat or thin? How dare anyone fat shame? We'll we all will have to pay when the young obese grow into the old obese with diabetes and heart disease. If you visit the caregiver forum there are many who struggle to provide full physical care for a loved one with chronic health problems. Obesity just complicates that immensely. Our country already struggles with healthcare so I shudder to think of what we will face as obesity becomes normalized for the very young.
I totally agree with you.

Not much worse than the morons who refer to women like this as "real women" as if to imply that women who are not in poor shape are somehow not real.

What if we started doing the male equivalent of overweight/cellulite of showing men with long crazy nose hairs, ear hair or something similar? Do you think people would be all "these are what real men look like!"? I dont think so. I am all for promoting HEALTHY lifestyles and HEALTHY looks. Not fat/obese/cellulite filled unhealthy looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Ohio
17,986 posts, read 13,233,625 times
Reputation: 13765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think it's a good trend we're seeing these days.
Right, because everyone should have Type II Diabetes and share in the joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In America it is.

64% of women are considered overweight, which is a majority, which makes it "normal."
Even if it would be 90%, it doesn't make it "normal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 05:14 PM
 
6,075 posts, read 2,296,072 times
Reputation: 9674
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not everyone wants to be a hard body or to train like an athlete, though. I hate to exercise, so I do the bare minimum I need to do for heart health and blood pressure and stress and all that. I also don't look like a fitness model, but I'm more concerned with what my doctor says than how I look in a bathing suit. Everyone's got different priorities. The plus-sized model isn't necessarily lying about her workouts or physical activity, as if her body type is proof she does nothing but sit around eating cheese.
Oh I really didn't mean to criticize, it just seems like a cheerleader propaganda of giving out participation trophies: 'Woohoo you don't look like a supermodel in a swimming suit.'

I don't have to get happy about that, and be proud of them, do? I don't think a lot of effort goes into it, and so what? What is everyone so defensive about? There are men who posted here: "I like a little extra" or "she's cuddly" there, some affirmation that all bodies are desirable!

I have to say in answer to your "this body-type isn't proof she does nothing but sit around eating cheese" statement: "What body type is proof of that?" Apparently none by the comments here, but when I know someone physically active, I know the body that goes along with that. When a coworker sits at her desk eating Doritos with a blankie during lunch and takes the elevator 2 flights even if she has to wait 5 minutes, I do not agree that hers is a body that fits an active lifestyle as well, and she has those same legs as the model in the picture, the same legs and hips as my 70 y.o. mother, the same as someone who is not out walking in their spare time.

The results of being active are decipherable among the results of NOT being active. So? Call me captain obvious, but not illogical. Its common sense, not meanness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Reputation: 25975
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Oh I really didn't mean to criticize, it just seems like a cheerleader propaganda of giving out participation trophies: 'Woohoo you don't look like a supermodel in a swimming suit.'

I don't have to get happy about that, and be proud of them, do? I don't think a lot of effort goes into it, and so what? What is everyone so defensive about? There are men who posted here: "I like a little extra" or "she's cuddly" there, some affirmation that all bodies are desirable!

I have to say in answer to your "this body-type isn't proof she does nothing but sit around eating cheese" statement: "What body type is proof of that?" Apparently none by the comments here, but when I know someone physically active, I know the body that goes along with that. When a coworker sits at her desk eating Doritos with a blankie during lunch and takes the elevator 2 flights even if she has to wait 5 minutes, I do not agree that hers is a body that fits an active lifestyle as well, and she has those same legs as the model in the picture, the same legs and hips as my 70 y.o. mother, the same as someone who is not out walking in their spare time.

The results of being active are decipherable among the results of NOT being active. So? Call me captain obvious, but not illogical. Its common sense, not meanness.
So let's go back to this idea of what an active lifestyle "looks like." We have athletes like Michelle Carter - gold medal winner for shot put. You might call her overweight, but clearly to be an Olympian it takes a lot of working out. Does this mean she doesn't look like she works out because she doesn't look more similar to Maria Sharapova?

Or how about the myriad of Victoria's Secret models who "never exercise." Do they look like the workout because they have low body fat?

Or does Olympic powerlifter Sarah Robles not workout based on her appearance?

People can workout, enjoy working out, and still be overweight, have higher body fat percentages or have limited visible muscle tone! It is silly to make assumptions about what exercise someone might or might not do without seeing them do it!

Besides all of this is unrelated to fashion and our opinions about Target's spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 PM
 
6,075 posts, read 2,296,072 times
Reputation: 9674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is silly to make assumptions about what exercise someone might or might not do without seeing them do it!

Besides all of this is unrelated to fashion and our opinions about Target's spread.
It's not silly at all to say I can tell the difference, I didn't say fat verses skinny. It seems very important for you to insist people who live active lifestyles are not decipherable among those that don't, and on that we will not agree.

If you believe this is unrelated, then complain to a moderator and quit engaging me with your disagreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,507 posts, read 11,379,976 times
Reputation: 4759
Do men care if they use athletic builds to advertise sportswear or pajamas? I think no.

Pointing out the anti-trend is overplayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 04:54 AM
 
15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Reputation: 25604
Hiring a model who has body flaws to portray common women seems self-defeating.

I think most women are confident enough to wear whatever suits their tastes and their figure. I don't think we need retailers to pander to insecurities to make it ok.


I actually thought the random facebook posts made the suits more appealing. Why not simply use the random facebook posts as a campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 AM
 
1,945 posts, read 2,114,859 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It's not silly at all to say I can tell the difference, I didn't say fat verses skinny. It seems very important for you to insist people who live active lifestyles are not decipherable among those that don't, and on that we will not agree.

If you believe this is unrelated, then complain to a moderator and quit engaging me with your disagreement.
You are right but might as well forget about it.

She is overweight and it is rather clear she does not work out on a regular basis. If her picture was posted on any health and fitness forum, even on city data health & fitness, you would be hard pressed to find anyone to agree she has an active lifestyle.

Advertisers need to cater to all sizes. I would not buy that bikini based on that picture because I can't identify with her size. There are plenty of slim models though and less of her size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top