U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM

10,073 posts, read 9,313,800 times

Advertisements

Kamie whatever her name is teh sexy. And sorry, Tourian is right, simply overeating and not working out is not going to give you the well proportioned looks of the plus sized models. On the contrary, when I was overweight, I lost my hourglass figure since the weight just fell everywhere. It took working out - even when I was still overweight - to get the curvy look. Others are just naturally gifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
She's too heavy. I don't care about the cellulite, but I think she's too overweight. I feel the same way about men too. Women or men who are 40 or 50 pounds overweight or more shouldn't be models, IMO.
Why?

People who are 40-50 lbs overweight do buy clothes...they don't just hide indoors concealing their unsightlin essence with a burlap sack. It makes perfect sense that retailers wishing to target those shoppers gear advertising toward that audience. And Target has made a push recently to expand their plus-size selection, so it's unsurprising that their advertising campaigns would reflect an interest in capturing that particular purchasing demographic.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:08 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Right, because everyone should have Type II Diabetes and share in the joy.

Even if it would be 90%, it doesn't make it "normal."
It would make it statistically typical.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 AM

14,652 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Right, because everyone should have Type II Diabetes and share in the joy.

Even if it would be 90%, it doesn't make it "normal."
How incredibly ignorant and insensitive. I am Type II diabetic and am a tall slim hourglass figure. I know plenty of slim and even skinny people who are Type II. There are all kinds of reasons behind it and believe it or not, obesity is not the biggest factor. In fact, people usually become obese BECAUSE of insulin resistance.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you are so hostile regarding anyone you consider "overweight."

Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,809,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
How incredibly ignorant and insensitive. I am Type II diabetic and am a tall slim hourglass figure. I know plenty of slim and even skinny people who are Type II. There are all kinds of reasons behind it and believe it or not, obesity is not the biggest factor. In fact, people usually become obese BECAUSE of insulin resistance.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you are so hostile regarding anyone you consider "overweight."
It's all about image with a lot of folks. When they see an obese person, they're not thinking "how unhealthy". They're thinking "gross".

Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,792,183 times
Everyone has flaws. Some flaws only show when the person starts talking or typing.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I don't care about the ad so much, but I am alarmed how much obesity is now being normalized even for younger generations. It's one thing for someone to get heavier as they age (50's and 60's), but another for so many young people to be very overweight. Target aims for the younger crowd so that ad just normalizes a body that should be for an older woman, not a teen.

And you may say, who cares about fat or thin? How dare anyone fat shame? We'll we all will have to pay when the young obese grow into the old obese with diabetes and heart disease. If you visit the caregiver forum there are many who struggle to provide full physical care for a loved one with chronic health problems. Obesity just complicates that immensely. Our country already struggles with healthcare so I shudder to think of what we will face as obesity becomes normalized for the very young.

Think about all the things that have been "normalized" in the last few years: being gay, transsexual, bi-sexual, living together without marriage, unwed pregnancy, etc. I guess the media feels if it is shown often enough, it will start to seem normal. When I was in high school, there was hardly any overweight kids; now for some kids it starts before they even get to middle school. Now before I get lambasted for this I am just saying that these are things that were no-no's just a generation ago. Now most people think nothing of two men holding hands or throwing a baby shower for an unwed mother. So Target is just getting on the band wagon, (which they love to do) trying to normalize a young girl being 50 lbs. overweight and making profits for themselves. Because that's what it all boils down to with every retailer: PROFITS.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Well, yeah, of course a company is trying to make a profit, but this could be a chicken/egg situation. There are plus-sized women out there who need to buy clothes and swimsuits, so Target is tapping into that market. I don't know that people see chubby people in an ad and think, "oh, it's okay for me to be fat now," as much as it's, "I'm chubby, and I can buy clothes at Target."

Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 AM

14,652 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, yeah, of course a company is trying to make a profit, but this could be a chicken/egg situation. There are plus-sized women out there who need to buy clothes and swimsuits, so Target is tapping into that market. I don't know that people see chubby people in an ad and think, "oh, it's okay for me to be fat now," as much as it's, "I'm chubby, and I can buy clothes at Target."
That is exactly it. They are a retailer wanting to make sales, and there is a good segment out there outside of the size norms that need cute clothing options, nothing more.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe not in an ad, but social media and other outlets make people think a lot of things are normal and o.k. Maybe I'm just getting old and less tolerant.

Anyway, I agree with you. If I was selling clothes I'd have a nice range size models. Why would I want to box myself in by catering to a specific size? You are 250lbs and you feel you look good in a crop top and daisy dukes?, no problem. Your money is just as good as the woman that is 125lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or