U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM

10,647 posts, read 3,333,649 times

Advertisements

I personally don't care what the trend is. I wear what I like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM

1,953 posts, read 760,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I wish I could be that sanguine about it. However I pretty much HAVE to care what the trend is - because as long as the trend is for teeny tiny lenses, I CAN'T wear what I like - which is the largest possible lenses, because they simply don't make them any more.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,524,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I really don't care what is "in style" as look as they are flattering. I don't wish to make a statement as much as I want my glasses to be practically unnoticeable.

Same here. I hate those big black ugly frames No one "really" looks good in them

Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 AM

14,546 posts, read 11,526,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Good for you... I tried to have frames like the first picture but was advised not to with my lenses being quite thick,, but I thought paying for the thinning process would make them fit any frame. can someone explain please. as my script sunglasses look more modern. and I dont get it why I could get them but no ordinary specs with the same type of frame.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM

2,731 posts, read 3,701,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Larger, plastic frames have been on trend for several years. Occasionally I see someone with round old-fashioned glasses, and this style suits some people.

I've worn Silhouette frames for the past decade or so. These are frameless and are very light with the separate nose piece that keeps them from slipping down my nose. I am on my third or fourth pair of Silhouette brand glasses. I wish they weren't so expensive though.

Silhouette eyewear
Same here. Have had 2 pairs of Silhouettes and they are so light and comfortable. I also have had some vintage G. Armanis that I inherited from the early 80s that are unusual and always get compliments. I used those for up close reading. LOL
I just recently had cataract surgery so now, only using readers. I do have a script for some but debating whether to have it filled as I have gotten by with some cheap Walmart readers. A relief after having paid a lot for those Silhouettes. They are really nice and light and don't stretch out of shape.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM

13,220 posts, read 7,432,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Good for you... I tried to have frames like the first picture but was advised not to with my lenses being quite thick,, but I thought paying for the thinning process would make them fit any frame. can someone explain please. as my script sunglasses look more modern. and I dont get it why I could get them but no ordinary specs with the same type of frame.
A couple of cogent points points for posters: people with a high power can thin their lenses considerably by getting a high index lens. But you can save a lot of money by buying aspheric polycarbonate lenses. The lenses must be aspheric to be very thin, however. To thin the edges, getting them rolled helps a lot and you can also get the edges polished if you want a better look cosmetically. But if you're on a budget, the polish isn't necessary. The roll cuts the weight, and you won't see the edges of the lens constantly which really bothers some people. I suggest you consider a high index or aspheric polycarbonate lens if you are at or above a +/-4 D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
The only thing I care about is being able to find frames that allow larger lenses. I have had to go to frames that are actually too large for me in order to get a reasonably large lens - because the "fashion" seems to be for teensy tiny lenses that you can barely see anything through because they are so freakin' small. My generations called them "granny glasses". I have no idea what current generations call them. I call them freakin' USELESS.

I really really want Ben Franklin glasses - where the "bifocal" portion is the entire lower half of the lens. Those tiny little "D" insets are - again - virtually useless for anything practical. I have to constantly turn my head from side to side just to be able to read text across the width of my screen. Forget doing anything like reading a book, or crochet or other fine work while wearing bifocals.
The full bifocal at the bottom is called an executive bifocal. For reasons I know not what, they are not commonly prescribed anymore, but some of our patients insist on them, which is totally understandable. We can get them through our lab, but they take longer to be made. As for purchasing a larger frame, I will sell a larger frame to patients, but a patient should not wear a frame that is too wide for their face. A frame that is long and deep is not as much of an issue as excessive width. Too wide causes constant slippage, and no amount of adjustment fixes it. We look for a frame in which the eyes are centered in the lens for proper fit width-wise.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM

1,335 posts, read 801,226 times
My wife's eye place told us that the lenses have gotten taller/bigger in part because of progressive bifocal lenses (rather than the old-school cutouts). The progressive lenses require more height so my wife who used to wear very narrow single-focus lenses had to go somewhat taller just to get those progressive lenses.

I also think the trend continues to be toward what I would call kind of bookish and hipster, e.g. clean lines, a bit of a midcentury modern type of look to them, a bit of a statement piece rather than a utilitarian or minimalist/barely-there pair. And since that's been the general trend for a while now, I think the bright colors are just one thing they're doing to "freshen" what it still a popular trend, it seems. A great example of all of this to me would be the William Morris link given earlier in the thread. I saw a number of colored or multi-colored frames like that in the eye place recently.

I'd say the color transition is particularly nice in the yellow and brown, jade408. They go well together. Like a banana :-)

My bold prediction for the next big/multi-year trend in eyeglasses is going to be a move away from design and color fashion statements and toward something either more minimal again, or toward more utilitarian. That's just my guess though!

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 03-20-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

26,894 posts, read 28,206,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A couple of cogent points points for posters: people with a high power can thin their lenses considerably by getting a high index lens. But you can save a lot of money by buying aspheric polycarbonate lenses. The lenses must be aspheric to be very thin, however. To thin the edges, getting them rolled helps a lot and you can also get the edges polished if you want a better look cosmetically. But if you're on a budget, the polish isn't necessary. The roll cuts the weight, and you won't see the edges of the lens constantly which really bothers some people. I suggest you consider a high index or aspheric polycarbonate lens if you are at or above a +/-4 D.
I get high index lenses but mine are still really thick. Without high index, they'd just leave marks from resting on my cheeks! There are lots of frame styles that are off limits.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 PM

18,961 posts, read 12,537,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I wish I could be that sanguine about it. However I pretty much HAVE to care what the trend is - because as long as the trend is for teeny tiny lenses, I CAN'T wear what I like - which is the largest possible lenses, because they simply don't make them any more.
The trend now is to larger lenses. You should have a look at a good optical store. I bought my Silhouettes about a year and a half ago, and I thought the lenses offered in that line were bigger than before.

Did you save your old frames after you bought your last pair of new? I save old frames that I might like to wear again.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-web&fr=mcafee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty