U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:51 PM

258 posts, read 134,616 times

Advertisements

What is the trend for fashion in eyeglass frames? I'm seeing larger frames around here. What do you think is the fashion trend in frames? Plastic, metal, smaller, larger, shape, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 PM

26,878 posts, read 28,163,256 times
My glasses this year are really interesting. I have thinner plastic than in recent years - yellow that transitions to grey. They are a mid-sized square subtle cat eye shape And the sides are a copper metal. I have been getting loads of compliments. They are the right amount of edgy.

These in color 2!
http://www.williammorris.co.uk/willi...product_id=843

Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,754,753 times
Big, heavy, lots of thick plastic in the frames, bright colours. Either that or lightweight titanium...

Old 03-18-2017, 04:03 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,754,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My glasses this year are really interesting. I have thinner plastic than in recent years - yellow that transitions to grey. They are a mid-sized square subtle cat eye shape And the sides are a copper metal. I have been getting loads of compliments. They are the right amount of edgy.

These in color 2!
London : WL6977
Those are nice. More subtle than some of the frames I've seen. The shape is just slightly retro... the colour makes them look more contemporary....

Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 AM

9,116 posts, read 3,932,227 times
I really don't care what is "in style" as look as they are flattering. I don't wish to make a statement as much as I want my glasses to be practically unnoticeable.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 AM

13,167 posts, read 7,403,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

These in color 2!
London : WL6977
Those are very pretty frames. However, I can't believe that website calls the sides of the frame "arms" The correct term for them is "temples." Our optical has had the same style for a while now: large black plastic. Patients want the black plastic, and if not in black, some other large plastic frame in another solid color. I have encouraged my patients to be open to different styles because in our hot climate, huge plastic frames can become a slip and fall risk People with small faces usually look better in metal frames. But patients often shy away from metal. I have heard many complaints about how uncomfortable nosepads are. This issue can be solved with softer nosepads or a simple adjustment. Although plastic works great for many patients, metal has an advantage of being more adjustable than plastic and is usually lighter.

Many patients are unaware that their glasses need to be adjusted periodically. Taking them on and off repeatedly over the course of a year or two changes the alignment of the frame, and an optician can set things right again and improve comfort. You should not be charged for this service, even if you did not buy the frames there. If you are, I suggest you try another optical. This is the frame I got this year. My face is very small so metal works better for me.

Westgroupe.com

Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM

26,878 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Those are nice. More subtle than some of the frames I've seen. The shape is just slightly retro... the colour makes them look more contemporary....
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Those are very pretty frames. However, I can't believe that website calls the sides of the frame "arms" The correct term for them is "temples." Our optical has had the same style for a while now: large black plastic. Patients want the black plastic, and if not in black, some other large plastic frame in another solid color. I have encouraged my patients to be open to different styles because in our hot climate, huge plastic frames can become a slip and fall risk People with small faces usually look better in metal frames. But patients often shy away from metal. I have heard many complaints about how uncomfortable nosepads are. This issue can be solved with softer nosepads or a simple adjustment. Although plastic works great for many patients, metal has an advantage of being more adjustable than plastic and is usually lighter.

Many patients are unaware that their glasses need to be adjusted periodically. Taking them on and off repeatedly over the course of a year or two changes the alignment of the frame, and an optician can set things right again and improve comfort. You should not be charged for this service, even if you did not buy the frames there. If you are, I suggest you try another optical. This is the frame I got this year. My face is very small so metal works better for me.

Westgroupe.com
I haven't found a metal frame I liked in a while so my last 5 pairs have been plastic. They also keep their shape better it seems. I wear contacts most of the time and glasses at home. Finding the right fit is hard, I have a small face and nose bridge. But I like the trend of bigger frames. I don't want mine to disappear, I want them to make a statement.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM

1,953 posts, read 755,584 times
The only thing I care about is being able to find frames that allow larger lenses. I have had to go to frames that are actually too large for me in order to get a reasonably large lens - because the "fashion" seems to be for teensy tiny lenses that you can barely see anything through because they are so freakin' small. My generations called them "granny glasses". I have no idea what current generations call them. I call them freakin' USELESS.

I really really want Ben Franklin glasses - where the "bifocal" portion is the entire lower half of the lens. Those tiny little "D" insets are - again - virtually useless for anything practical. I have to constantly turn my head from side to side just to be able to read text across the width of my screen. Forget doing anything like reading a book, or crochet or other fine work while wearing bifocals.

I have to have FOUR pairs of glasses because of this nonsense - one for reading, one for driving, one for the computer, and a pair of bifocals for those times when switching from one pair to the other really isn't practical.

So give me bigger lenses. Those tiny lenses are a literal pain in the neck.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 PM

18,885 posts, read 12,490,390 times
Larger, plastic frames have been on trend for several years. Occasionally I see someone with round old-fashioned glasses, and this style suits some people.

I've worn Silhouette frames for the past decade or so. These are frameless and are very light with the separate nose piece that keeps them from slipping down my nose. I am on my third or fourth pair of Silhouette brand glasses. I wish they weren't so expensive though.

Silhouette eyewear

Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM

27,997 posts, read 46,373,100 times
I saw a kid with Harry Potter glasses that was real big and round. He looked real strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty