Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM

16,412 posts, read 12,476,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think it is the missing confidence ... not your looks.
I would agree with this. Sure, cosmetic surgery can make someone more attractive (otherwise, why would anyone do it?), but I think the bigger issue here is a severe lack of confidence.

OP, consult with a surgeon (or two or three), but I would also recommend a therapist. Because changing your facial features may not make a bit of difference if you still lack self-confidence. It's actually a fairly common thing with people who lose a significant amount of weight ... they may have a new slim and trim body, but they still feel like a fat person. It's also why you see so many people go overboard with repeated plastic surgeries. They keep trying to find self-confidence at the end of a scalpel, and that doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM

710 posts, read 583,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You want surgery but you do not know where?

I sort of understand you but not really. How about you ask a friend what feature he would change on you if he could?

So no huge nose, obese, very short, droopy eyes, huge ears? NOTHING of that?

I think it is the missing confidence ... not your looks.
My nose is fine I guess, I'm 5'10 so I'm definitely not short, my ears are also normal sized I guess, and my eyes are pretty much the only thing I've ever been complimented on. I do lack confidence but that's only because I've been called ugly a lot on my life, people from family members to random people have called me it before. I've probably been called ugly before more than I've ever been complimented, most people have never been through that and will never know what it's like. Friends or family wouldn't be objective in my opinion, that's why I wanted to consult with a surgeon.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,721,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I don't know what's exactly unattractive about myself, people have just called me ugly throughout my life. I think my facial structure might be one problem. I figured I could consult with the surgeon prior to the surgery and see what he could do for me.
Maybe its the real ugly people you ve had around you all your life...

Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would agree with this. Sure, cosmetic surgery can make someone more attractive (otherwise, why would anyone do it?), but I think the bigger issue here is a severe lack of confidence.

OP, consult with a surgeon (or two or three), but I would also recommend a therapist. Because changing your facial features may not make a bit of difference if you still lack self-confidence. It's actually a fairly common thing with people who lose a significant amount of weight ... they may have a new slim and trim body, but they still feel like a fat person. It's also why you see so many people go overboard with repeated plastic surgeries. They keep trying to find self-confidence at the end of a scalpel, and that doesn't work.
I didn't really plan to overdo it, I just wanted to get a consult first then see what options I had. I'm only 19 and I don't have a lot of money right now, for all I know I may never even be able to get the surgery. It's just a dream for now. Therapy is not a bad idea but at the end of the day it's not going to make me look any different or change how I'm treated by people.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Maybe its the real ugly people you ve had around you all your life...
That's true but I also feel like if enough people tell you one thing then it's probably the truth. It took me a long time to accept it and stop denying it, but I realize that I'm not good looking. Now I'm just focused on trying to change that.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:46 PM

16,412 posts, read 12,476,648 times
Quote:
I didn't really plan to overdo it, I just wanted to get a consult first then see what options I had. I'm only 19 and I don't have a lot of money right now, for all I know I may never even be able to get the surgery. It's just a dream for now. Therapy is not a bad idea but at the end of the day it's not going to make me look any different or change how I'm treated by people.
No, but it could change whether or not you give a sh*t about what people think about what you look like. If you're confident enough, people will be attracted to you.

Frankly, IMO, 19 is too young to be worried about plastic surgery. Work on fixing the inside. It'll serve you well not only in your personal relationships, but quite possibly in your professional relationships as well.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM

20,741 posts, read 19,939,805 times
Quote:
My nose is fine I guess, I'm 5'10 so I'm definitely not short, my ears are also normal sized I guess, and my eyes are pretty much the only thing I've ever been complimented on. I do lack confidence but that's only because I've been called ugly a lot on my life, people from family members to random people have called me it before. I've probably been called ugly before more than I've ever been complimented, most people have never been through that and will never know what it's like. Friends or family wouldn't be objective in my opinion, that's why I wanted to consult with a surgeon.
I have been called ugly in my youth, too. A lot. But they never let me wonder, why.

I cannot believe they call you ugly and none of them said WHAT it is that makes you ugly. How do you want to fix what you don't know is wrong??

Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,186,111 times
If you have the amount of money to hire the BEST, then it can do wonders for you.

Like this lady.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/wcw26...2_original.jpg
Terrific results. Too bad one of her kids got her original looks.

Jennifer Aniston had work done on her nose. It was huge, and she got it done a few times before it looked right, to her. And she's good. Doesn't look like a mutant, like Courteney Cox.

So if it's something you think would work for you, and give a confidence boost, I say go for it. Fact is, some didn't hit it big in the genetics lottery, so their lack of confidence does in fact come from the hand they were dealt in the looks department. Get those problem areas fixed, and it can perk a person up.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 PM

36 posts, read 25,383 times
OP, it's isn't normal or mature behavior for people to tell other people they're ugly. It sounds like the kind of bullying that goes on with school-aged kids. I'm not dismissing your feeling or the fact that people have said this to you "a lot" but as you get older, I think you will find fewer and fewer of those people around.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,872,009 times
They just don't say it after early adulthood (offline). They still might think it. Also, since when are mean people required to be specific in their "ugly" insults?

I don't know why I thought "randomguy18" is older, but it doesn't matter. I'm waiting for pictures. If things have stopped growing, there's still a window for a few more years in which less invasive or non-surgical approaches might be able to 'fix' some facial features and also bypass bad experiences that can cause bitterness. That is, if we're talking genuine physical unattractiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty