U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
That's true but I also feel like if enough people tell you one thing then it's probably the truth. It took me a long time to accept it and stop denying it, but I realize that I'm not good looking. Now I'm just focused on trying to change that.
how awful that some stoop so low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 446,138 times
We've been telling you for 9 pages, you do not have an ugliness problem, you have a self esteem problem!

Plastic surgeons are not in the business of "I feel ugly, what would you fix on me?", they are in the business of "my nose is crooked" or "eyelids are drooping & are aging me" or "my breasts are saggy" or "my ears are too big", etc. They fix specific problems. You don't go in & say "make me pretty or make me good looking". That's a huge red flag to them!

Beyond that, you said you can't afford surgery, so it's really quite unethical to do consults & use up a professional's time, when by your own admission, you can't afford their work.

More importantly, no REPUTABLE plastic surgeon is going to take you on as a client, with what you've presented here. You say you're "ugly" but you can't even point to one feature you wish to change. You are not a good candidate for plastic surgery. You are a good candidate for therapy & gaining self esteem! It would be very irresponsible of a plastic surgeon to take you on as a client when you can't even articulate 1 thing you want to change & when you're clearly expecting that an outer change is going to fix the inner you. In fact, they screen to rule out candidates that have unreasonable expectations. Try walking into a reputable surgeon's office & telling them "I'm ugly, make me good looking", the red flags will be going off all over the place.

Unless you have some major disfiguring feature that you're not mentioning here, you seem like you're perfectly normal or average, which many people are, male & female. If you were truly "ugly" (whatever that means), you'd be able to point to what you feel is making you so. You'd probably have a long list. Chances are that you're quite normal or average & normal average people fall in love all the time! Beautiful people can be really ugly on the inside. "Ugly" people can be so beautiful on the inside that they attract everyone! We're all pretty average looking when we wake up in the AM, before grooming, makeup, dressing, etc. Ever look at pics of models with make up on & off? I know you're a guy, but the principle still applies. Confidence & beauty come from within! The greatest gift you can give yourself is to learn how to be confident in your own skin!

Sounds like you've been surrounded by shallow, rude people. Start by changing who you hang with. Oh & btw, most everyone is bullied as a kid. It was true 40 yrs ago & it's true now. Insecure people will always find something to beat up on others about (hint, it makes them feel better about themselves). You have a lot of growing up to do. Go see a licensed counselor & start talking to someone abt your self esteem issues. Any reputable plastic surgeon is going to make you do that anyway, with what you've presented here.

Even if you found a disreputable surgeon, who suddenly you can magically afford & they point out all sorts of symmetry issues they think they can fix. They "fix" them. The inner you, the person who doesn't feel confident, who was bullied, etc is still the same person!

BTW, I saw someone refer to bashing plastic surgeons. I haven't seen any bashing here. Plastic Surgeons definitely have a role to fill & I think they can be great, if you have the right expectations & a specific issue or two, that you would like addressed.

I know you probably think we all don't "get it". How likely is it OP, that for 9 pages, all these people, most of whom have been your age once, don't get it? Maybe we all know something, you just haven't figured out yet, b/c you're so young. Maybe...just maybe.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,213,337 times
Quote:
I'm asking because I'm considering getting it done in the future. I know that some people have had bad results or ended up looking worse after getting surgery but are there any examples of it actually benefiting someone and drastically increasesing their attractiveness? I'm also interested if anyone has any personal stories about their own experiences with it.
I knew a guy who had cuts made to lift his face. The only change it made in his appearance, was to look worse than before and he had horrible scars that enlarged over time and I don't think they ever went away.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Quote:
I'm a guy. I pretty much do everything to take care of my face, I wash it, I shave, and I get haircuts regularly. I work very hard to try to make myself more attractive but I'm never really satisfied when I look in the mirror. I never see women check me out when I go out and I've only been approached by a woman one time. I've been treated as an unattractive person for most of my life and I want to see what it's like to be on the opposite side of the spectrum, I'd literally do anything to see what it's like to be attractive and to be treated as such.
Plastic surgery or not, age is always the great equalizer. We all end up ugly and if we started out ugly, at least we are used to it. And very few people actually like the way they look.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM

16,493 posts, read 17,525,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Just don't go all Ray Liotta on yourself and you'll be ok.

Lol. Dude I just snorted coffee.

Wayne Newton anyone?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 AM

13,566 posts, read 16,072,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Can plastic surgery improve your looks? Yes, but it can also ruin your looks as well.
Yup!
Take the case of Jocelyn Wildenstein, an extremely wealthy woman who has had so many plastic surgeries on her face that nobody can keep count of them. In order to try to preserve her youthful appearance, and to satisfy her husband who allegedly had a fascination with big cats, she had procedure after procedure done until she wound-up looking like this:

I will grant you that she doesn't look like a 71 year old woman, but few people would dispute the reality that she looks...bizarre.
If the plastic surgeons whom she hired had been morally-upstanding people--rather than just money-grubbers who agreed to do whatever she wanted to her face--perhaps she could have avoided the horrendous alterations that were done over the years.
However, she was reportedly "delighted" with the results.

Here is a little background on Ms. Wildenstein:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Wildenstein

Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM

7,405 posts, read 7,363,057 times
Quote:
It's a risk I'd be willing to take.
There is no risk because it won't change anything really. Your looks are your looks, and no amount of surgery can really change it. The only thing plastic surgery is good for is a small correction when you get old involving wrinkles. It might forestall you looking like a prune for a short while. But even then, it is temporary, expensive, and silly unless you are an entertainer or public personality who depends on looking younger.

Beauty and good looks is something you are born with, or born without. You were born without, and that's the end of it. Choose to focus on something else, because surgery doesn't, and can't, change mediocre looking people into good looking people. It just doesn't.

Concentrate on having as hot a body as possible in the gym. That is something that can be changed to a degree. Muscle can be built.

But focusing on changing your mediocre looks is silly, because you cannot change it. Maximize your meager potential in this area with clothes and posture. That's all you can do.

Then go to the mall and look around. Ugly people all over the place with ugly partners who love them. It's not about the looks, it's about the love.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 AM

710 posts, read 335,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
Take the case of Jocelyn Wildenstein, an extremely wealthy woman who has had so many plastic surgeries on her face that nobody can keep count of them. In order to try to preserve her youthful appearance, and to satisfy her husband who allegedly had a fascination with big cats, she had procedure after procedure done until she wound-up looking like this:

I will grant you that she doesn't look like a 71 year old woman, but few people would dispute the reality that she looks...bizarre.
If the plastic surgeons whom she hired had been morally-upstanding people--rather than just money-grubbers who agreed to do whatever she wanted to her face--perhaps she could have avoided the horrendous alterations that were done over the years.
However, she was reportedly "delighted" with the results.

Here is a little background on Ms. Wildenstein:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Wildenstein

I definitely wouldn't take it that far

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,504,098 times
Quote:
I definitely wouldn't take it that far
Joan Van Ark didn't turn out too well either.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...8d33663a81.jpg

But, just like horror stories, you have success stories too, depending on what you're looking to get done, and how good a surgeon you get.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM

710 posts, read 335,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no risk because it won't change anything really. Your looks are your looks, and no amount of surgery can really change it. The only thing plastic surgery is good for is a small correction when you get old involving wrinkles. It might forestall you looking like a prune for a short while. But even then, it is temporary, expensive, and silly unless you are an entertainer or public personality who depends on looking younger.

Beauty and good looks is something you are born with, or born without. You were born without, and that's the end of it. Choose to focus on something else, because surgery doesn't, and can't, change mediocre looking people into good looking people. It just doesn't.

Concentrate on having as hot a body as possible in the gym. That is something that can be changed to a degree. Muscle can be built.

But focusing on changing your mediocre looks is silly, because you cannot change it. Maximize your meager potential in this area with clothes and posture. That's all you can do.

Then go to the mall and look around. Ugly people all over the place with ugly partners who love them. It's not about the looks, it's about the love.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
I don't doubt that I'm capable of finding love. I've had a girlfriend before so I know that I can find someone who likes me for me. In fact, in my opinion she was out of my league in the looks department.

I'm also working on getting more in shape even though I've always been pretty thin. I just ran three miles last night and I'm trying to have a cleaner diet. I'm hoping that a combination of being in shape and age will help me look better in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or