U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 05:37 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
I always preferred front loading washing machines because I thought they were more harsh on clothes: rolling around and crashing into each other.

Wife buys Lane Bryant bras, washes them in the front loader, then hangs them on a rack to dry.
It's the agitator in a standard machine that is harsh on clothes, not the rolling around.

OP, I tend to think that a little better quality would make a difference. I wear my bras twice and then they go into to the washer and even the dryer. I've never had an underwire snap and I can't even remember the last time I had one poke through. I think some brands may be worse than others for that, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:36 AM

13,144 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hey ladies. I got some on going Bra drama I need to advise on. Today while at work all of a sudden I heard an dreadful little snap nose and there it went.... another bra bit the dust! The underwire in one cup of the bra snapped .. which pretty much means that soon the wire would be poking out and scratching or cutting me.

I refuse to hand wash my bras. I have a wear once then wash policy for anything especially bras.. but have a front loading washer which I was told is more gentle on my clothes ( this may be BS as the person selling the machine expressed this).

So here is the problem when the underwire in the bra breaks or the metal starts poking through the side is the bra a lost cause or has anyone created a way to fix this issue? I spend a lot on bras over the years and have some really nice ones that I have had one cup that has had the underwire break. Has anyone one figured out how to fix this situation?

Please note comments like " I don't wash my bras every day", " I hand wash my bras", "I don't wear an underwire bra" or "I don't wear a bra at all" are really not helpful in addressing the question ... so no need to share these comments as I am not looking to change my habits, but save some pretty underwire bras from the dumpster.

Thanks in advance for helping to save pretty underwire bras everywhere !
Ah, the poster who asks for advice, then tells us what she doesn't want us to say The fact is klm, there are a few possible reasons your bras are dying. A major one is machine washing. Hand washing really helps lengthen their lifespan. If you don't want to hand wash, fine, but just be aware that they won't last as long. Another possible reason is that they aren't the right size. Have you been fitted by a professional bra fitter? Around 80% of us are wearing the wrong size. I thought I wore a 38DD, and after going to the bra fitter, I found out I wore a 34H. When I got bras in the right size, they not only lasted longer, they fit me much better, and proper fit reduces the incidence of stabbing, poking, and protruding underwires. Properly fitting bras should fit snug to tight on your ribcage and hold the girls up high and proud. The breasts shouldn't slump down, no matter how chesty you are (trust me, I know. I'm huge and my bras hold even my boobs up high). The third possible cause is buying cheap crappy bras. Victoria's Secret is NOT all that. There are many other brands, (depending on your size) that can last you for years and if you shop carefully, you can catch sales and save a lot of money.

P.S. It's really easy to sew that underwire back in. I've done it myself, and I'm the world's worst seamstress. So if the hole isn't too big, you can try that, even if you don't have a sewing machine.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times
I've never had a wire break, but have had a couple poke through the fabric.

I too never hand wash the things.

If I feel motivated I might sew the opening shut, but not going to happen. The one I have now like that has lived a good life, so it's going to be discarded.

I buy Bali bras.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
Hmmmm, I wash mine after every wear and also have a front loader. Maybe it's just the brand of the bra? I wear Warner and have never had a problem. They last about a year which I think is a good timeframe. And I typically get rid of them because they stretch out, not because the underwire pokes out. Try Warner

Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 AM

206 posts, read 145,654 times
Agree with Scooby Snacks on two points: Since I started wearing the right size (smaller band, larger cup) and bought better bras (Chantelle, on sale) I have not had one wire poke through (although before it happened all the time). And, I wash them in the front loading machine, and hang dry.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 AM

147 posts, read 406,912 times
I've had an underwire snap in half at least twice -- these were plastic underwires, not actually "wire", and the bras were 2 or 3 years old.

My fix: get a wire clothes-hanger and some wire snips. Cut the hanger at each end of the straight (bottom) part. Pull out the snapped underwire from your bra (yes, you'll need to cut a small hole where the underwire begins at the armpit end). Starting at one end of the straight wire hanger piece, carefully bend the wire to match the curve and length of the broken underwire as closely as possible (needlenose pliers may help with this). Cut away any excess wire hanger so you end up with a curved piece that exactly or closely matches the broken underwire as to overall length and curve shape. Slip one end of your new wire into the "sleeve/tube" that the old broken underwire came out of, and slide that sleeve/tube along until the new wire is totally enclosed and has filled out the place where the broken underwire was removed. Stitch closed the hole you made in the armpit area of the bra to insert the new wire -- you may also wish to "pad" that area a little bit to keep the end of the wire from "digging" back out.

The only drawback I've found to this method is that because there is now actual WIRE in there, you may in time notice some rusty marks under that cup. This could be due to washing, but may also be due to perspiration.

OR ... forget the wire hanger and just check out this site (no, I'm not affiliated): Underwires and Channeling - Sew Sassy Fabrics

Old 03-23-2017, 08:43 AM

13,144 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Agree with Scooby Snacks on two points: Since I started wearing the right size (smaller band, larger cup) and bought better bras (Chantelle, on sale) I have not had one wire poke through (although before it happened all the time). And, I wash them in the front loading machine, and hang dry.
What a coincidence. I'm a Chantelle girl too. I have 7, and I did have one wire rub through the fabric (not really poke all the way though), but I cured it with a little patch. I haven't had a problem since. I buy them on eBay for $35 each, and they are normally $85-$100. I used to hand wash with Woolite after wearing each one twice, but I admit I have gotten lazy and now wash them on a gentle cycle in the washing machine. If they get damaged it's 100% my fault, but so far so good. Oddly enough, the poking wire occurred before I started machine washing.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 AM

1,524 posts, read 778,267 times
IF you're good with handwork try sewing the wire back into place, by slide it back into broken seams and sew up the opening. Unless the wire loses it shape usually can be fixed. Another advise is try to buy bras with strong material and strong stitches. I have no problems with thicker material bras, they relentlessly go into washing machine, spin dry, solid shape and last well.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:13 AM

1,524 posts, read 778,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
I've had an underwire snap in half at least twice -- these were plastic underwires, not actually "wire", and the bras were 2 or 3 years old.

My fix: get a wire clothes-hanger and some wire snips. Cut the hanger at each end of the straight (bottom) part. Pull out the snapped underwire from your bra (yes, you'll need to cut a small hole where the underwire begins at the armpit end). Starting at one end of the straight wire hanger piece, carefully bend the wire to match the curve and length of the broken underwire as closely as possible (needlenose pliers may help with this). Cut away any excess wire hanger so you end up with a curved piece that exactly or closely matches the broken underwire as to overall length and curve shape. Slip one end of your new wire into the "sleeve/tube" that the old broken underwire came out of, and slide that sleeve/tube along until the new wire is totally enclosed and has filled out the place where the broken underwire was removed. Stitch closed the hole you made in the armpit area of the bra to insert the new wire -- you may also wish to "pad" that area a little bit to keep the end of the wire from "digging" back out.

The only drawback I've found to this method is that because there is now actual WIRE in there, you may in time notice some rusty marks under that cup. This could be due to washing, but may also be due to perspiration.

OR ... forget the wire hanger and just check out this site (no, I'm not affiliated): Underwires and Channeling - Sew Sassy Fabrics

Lol. Your method is too complicated and tedious, I doubt OP even got what you're talking about if she have problem sewing it back. I'd just discard it especially if they're Plastic wire and broke into Half and TWICE!!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Lol. Your method is too complicated and tedious, I doubt OP even got what you're talking about if she have problem sewing it back. I'd just discard it especially if they're plastic wire and broke into half and TWICE!!
lol!

Yes, my method of fixing is to not buy bras with plastic under"wire"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty