U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM

4,108 posts, read 3,447,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hey ladies. I got some on going Bra drama I need to advise on. Today while at work all of a sudden I heard an dreadful little snap nose and there it went.... another bra bit the dust! The underwire in one cup of the bra snapped .. which pretty much means that soon the wire would be poking out and scratching or cutting me.

I refuse to hand wash my bras. I have a wear once then wash policy for anything especially bras.. but have a front loading washer which I was told is more gentle on my clothes ( this may be BS as the person selling the machine expressed this).

So here is the problem when the underwire in the bra breaks or the metal starts poking through the side is the bra a lost cause or has anyone created a way to fix this issue? I spend a lot on bras over the years and have some really nice ones that I have had one cup that has had the underwire break. Has anyone one figured out how to fix this situation?

Please note comments like " I don't wash my bras every day", " I hand wash my bras", "I don't wear an underwire bra" or "I don't wear a bra at all" are really not helpful in addressing the question ... so no need to share these comments as I am not looking to change my habits, but save some pretty underwire bras from the dumpster.

Thanks in advance for helping to save pretty underwire bras everywhere !
I am picky about washers & dryers.
I toss all my lingerie, including silks, into the LG top loader & use the delicate cycle (uses cool water & it is a stainless steel tub with no agitator).... and then into the Samsung front loader dryer on very low with a fabric softener sheet. I do this with all my hand washables and have zero problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I would be excited to find bras in my size for $35. But they are $60-80. Not only do cheaper bras not come in my size, they also provide no support and are very uncomfortable. Without proper support, my clothing looks terrible and it is just inconvenient to not go into too many details.

Many of us don't have the luxury of relying on cheaper bras.
Yep. I keep experimenting with less expensive bras - I've actually found a Playtex non-underwire that is reasonably comfortable and - for a non-underwire - isn't bad on support. But the ones that really work best are $60+

Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 PM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
I wash delicates like bras in a laundry bad - less wear and tear on them.

Never had an underwire break through a bra, but I have on swimsuits. I just sew it back up. It's in the back so my lack of skill won't show.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM

1,524 posts, read 778,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
Take that bra off....it's not necessarily

Four smileys....Must be guy

Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM

540 posts, read 216,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Four smileys....Must be guy

Old 03-23-2017, 02:46 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've never had a wire break, but have had a couple poke through the fabric.

I too never hand wash the things.

If I feel motivated I might sew the opening shut, but not going to happen. The one I have now like that has lived a good life, so it's going to be discarded.

I buy Bali bras.
I like Bali bras too! They fit me well, and they are well made.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Been there, done that. Works in a pinch, but the fit and more importantly the 'lift' is just not there, it's not as figure flattering for fuller figures.
This is why I, who definitely needs lift, do not do this. But, it can be done.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you kidding me ? 35 dollars for one bra ? jeeze a petes that thing had better wash windows and cook dinner for 35 dollars . There is no sense in a bra costing that much and if we women would stop wearing bras they would go broke seriously ? I think it is ridiculous that we have to wear them in the first place but honestly the bra makers are getting out of control with the prices they are charging .My sister and I grew up wearing cotton bras and safety pins . I wonder what happened to those days are cotton bras completely gone ?
A good bra can be expensive. If you need a lot of support, or have other needs, that is what you might have to pay. However, I can usually manage to pay a little less. I usually buy mine at Kohls. Even though I feel like I am losing my mind every time I do.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:08 PM

13,144 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you kidding me ? 35 dollars for one bra ? jeeze a petes that thing had better wash windows and cook dinner for 35 dollars . There is no sense in a bra costing that much and if we women would stop wearing bras they would go broke seriously ? I think it is ridiculous that we have to wear them in the first place but honestly the bra makers are getting out of control with the prices they are charging .My sister and I grew up wearing cotton bras and safety pins . I wonder what happened to those days are cotton bras completely gone ?
Absolutely. My philosophy is: never go cheap on a car, tattoo, man, or bra. Each of these is worth investing in.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:16 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,356,692 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Are your underwires poking through the outside edge of the bra? Once I sewed the edge several times with some dental floss.

It's pretty strong and the wire stayed put!

If the underwire snaps in half and you require an underwire - save a wire from your old bras, insert and sew it in.
I will try sewing with stronger thread. When I have tried sewing it closed ... it just ends up poking through gain. There is nothing more annoying then getting poked by that wired once it start poping out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty