Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I wear underwire bras, and I have for many years. I know that underwires poke through eventually, but I don't have that problem until I've worn the bra for more than two or more years. I have tried to fix this, but I can't. If you are having continual problems with this, I do have a few thoughts though.

Buy a slightly better quality bra. I know bras have gotten horribly expensive, but I think more expensive bras wear better.

When you wash your bras in the machine, as I do, air dry them on a hanger overnight.

Own and wear at least 3-4 bras instead of wearing only one every day.

Consider whether your bras are a size too small either in the cups or band.

If you are doing these things already, then I respectfully suggest you wash your bras after two or three wearings.

You can pull the wire out, and wear it as a non underwire bra. I wouldn't do that, but I don't know why it could not be done.
I am pretty rough with all by stuff... but the expensive ones break just as fast. I serious need the underwire. I am carry a full load ! I can't wear anthing twice without washing it ... I will go nuts. I think I might just remove some of the really nice ones and reserve for the bed room and the other ones forget about. I have over a dozen bras in cirulations right now so they don't exactly get that much wear. They are good quality brand too. I am pretty sure the size is okay too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the poster who asks for advice, then tells us what she doesn't want us to say The fact is klm, there are a few possible reasons your bras are dying. A major one is machine washing. Hand washing really helps lengthen their lifespan. If you don't want to hand wash, fine, but just be aware that they won't last as long. Another possible reason is that they aren't the right size. Have you been fitted by a professional bra fitter? Around 80% of us are wearing the wrong size. I thought I wore a 38DD, and after going to the bra fitter, I found out I wore a 34H. When I got bras in the right size, they not only lasted longer, they fit me much better, and proper fit reduces the incidence of stabbing, poking, and protruding underwires. Properly fitting bras should fit snug to tight on your ribcage and hold the girls up high and proud. The breasts shouldn't slump down, no matter how chesty you are (trust me, I know. I'm huge and my bras hold even my boobs up high). The third possible cause is buying cheap crappy bras. Victoria's Secret is NOT all that. There are many other brands, (depending on your size) that can last you for years and if you shop carefully, you can catch sales and save a lot of money.

P.S. It's really easy to sew that underwire back in. I've done it myself, and I'm the world's worst seamstress. So if the hole isn't too big, you can try that, even if you don't have a sewing machine.
I am feeling I might need to revisit the size situation. I have not got that done in a while. I am feeling that maybe I really do need to get a garment bag. The brand is a good brand. I agree Vic. Sec. stuff is nice for people that are flatter.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:31 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I use a lingerie bag however if I had a really expensive bra, I would hand wash it.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:35 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Absolutely. My philosophy is: never go cheap on a car, tattoo, man, or bra. Each of these is worth investing in.

Okay wow I'm picking myself up off the floor after laughing so hard I fell out of my chair you are a hoot thanks for the laughs and good policy .

Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
are you kidding me ? 35 dollars for one bra ? jeeze a petes that thing had better wash windows and cook dinner for 35 dollars . There is no sense in a bra costing that much and if we women would stop wearing bras they would go broke seriously ? I think it is ridiculous that we have to wear them in the first place but honestly the bra makers are getting out of control with the prices they are charging .My sister and I grew up wearing cotton bras and safety pins . I wonder what happened to those days are cotton bras completely gone ?
I wish that I could wear a $35 bra and get really good support.

Instead, I pay a heckuva lot more for mine and it's worth every penny. Of course, I've had to slowly build my collection.

OP---no need to wash a bra everyday. I get mine from Rigby and Peller and they advise wearing them twice before washing them. I put mine in garment bags, wash on gentle cycle and use Woolite.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:19 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
I buy a brand that retails in the $50-$70 price range. In recent years, I noticed that after about two years, the underwire tears through the fabric in the center of the cups. I mentioned this to the sales associate at Nordstrom, thinking that perhaps the quality had declined, and I needed to switch brands. She told me that a bra that is worn and laundered weekly should be expected to last eight months to a year. I was a bit shocked to learn this, but when one considers that delicate fabric with a piece of wire stuck inside it that is worn close to the body all day, and then tossed in the washing machine, it makes sense that it will eventually succumb to all that friction. I've started buying duplicates of my favorites bras, so that every time I want to wear them, I'm not wearing the same ones.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I would be excited to find bras in my size for $35. But they are $60-80. Not only do cheaper bras not come in my size, they also provide no support and are very uncomfortable. Without proper support, my clothing looks terrible and it is just inconvenient to not go into too many details.

Many of us don't have the luxury of relying on cheaper bras.
Very true. In my office today, there is a large-breasted woman wearing a bra that fits so poorly that her breasts are spilling out under her arms behind her. I would really like to suggest a bra fitting and a better bra, but I don't even know her name.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:44 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I always wash bras in the washer and air dry. Any time the wire pokes out, it is at the top, which is easily stitched closed.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
This is a size issue more than anything. Generally if the wires are snapping it means the cup size is too small for you.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:38 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a Master McGyver and I've never found a good way to save my underwires. Trust me when I say I hate putting an $80 bra in the trash (I wear a 42G).

Also, I now only buy Wacoal strapless bras. No more strap slippage and no more underwire digging because the underwire is padded like crazy.

You found an underwire that holds up a 42G?! I'm amazed. I couldn't do that even when I was a DD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty