U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 PM

5,952 posts, read 7,490,732 times

Advertisements

I am a 1 and a 10.

I care about how I look and buy classics of high quality that are comfortable and will last years. I am a 10 in caring how I look and feel.

I am a 1 on caring what the fashion industry or experts decide us in fashion. They are biased and motivated to stimulate buying new colors etc. I care not one bit what they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Status: "Yes, words DO inflame or inspire others." (set 15 hours ago)

2,914 posts, read 1,740,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
With 1 being "I couldn't care less if I was wearing a burlap sack" to 10 being "I have to have the latest fashion" where would you put yourself?

I would put myself as probably a 7. I'm not like crazy obsessive but I like getting newer fashions and making sure I look good when I can.
Taking these two standards hyper-literally, as in "how a computer would interpret these sentences", I'd probably say anywhere from 3 to 7 depending on the precise details of the situation at hand. In short, I'll dress for the occasion. Certainly I won't go out of my way to keep up with the latest styles, for that betrays a lack of self-respect - i.e., outsourcing your self-judgment to people who are of higher social status than yourself, not because the higher status people themselves are kinder and wiser than you are but simply because they have higher social pecking order (though not always status per se) than you do. So it is that I don't chain my self-esteem on what people of higher social status (semiformal or outright informal) think of me.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:10 PM

2,604 posts, read 1,111,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I definitely don't think there always has to be a direct connection to following trends or being a slave to brands to have an interest in fashion and the creativity afforded to how you present yourself. I understand the correlation and that it certainly is true for many people of course.

I think people are afraid to appear shallow by saying they have an interest in fashion, when I don't view it that way at all; I'm surprised at how many people would answer 5 or less while reading a sub-forum largely about fashion. I think simply by choosing to read a fashion & beauty forum it would discredit anyone from selecting a 1 on a scale of 1-10..

Well, I don't come here for fashion advice; there's a lot of humorous stuff here. Like the beards and toupees/hair transplants, plastic surgery, etc.

I don't care about fashion at all. But I do want to look good, so that's what I go by. That's challenge enough without worrying whether its trendy or not....

Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Hmm, I'd say a 3. I don't go around wearing sweat pants to work even though they're pretty damn comfy.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 PM

1,356 posts, read 651,003 times

I dress for comfort, for me. If someone doesn't like it, they can look at somebody else.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:45 AM

380 posts, read 521,727 times
Quote:
With 1 being "I couldn't care less if I was wearing a burlap sack" to 10 being "I have to have the latest fashion" where would you put yourself?

I would put myself as probably a 7. I'm not like crazy obsessive but I like getting newer fashions and making sure I look good when I can.
0! Lol. I could not care less what is trendy or fashionable. In fact, I prefer being unique and invent my own style. I think a woman over 30 should have found her inner fashion sense . I'm 32. I find it embarrassing when a woman over 30 follows trends.... But that's my opinion..

Old 03-26-2017, 04:29 AM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There is nothing "fashionable" about jeans,
Sure they are, or red line, big E Levi and Landlubber wouldn't sell for $200 to 2k.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 AM

983 posts, read 458,120 times
I wonder if any woman here would admit to being a 10? Like a Kardashian.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM

4,428 posts, read 301,200 times
Quote:
I wonder if any woman here would admit to being a 10? Like a Kardashian.
A Kardashian is a 10?? With that as a comparison then I wonder to.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 PM

1,804 posts, read 772,436 times
I guess 7. I really enjoy putting outfits together and looking nice. I like playing around with my look and trying new things. But I don't need designer pieces and if I don't like something, no matter how "in" it is, I don't wear it. I like trends and I like classic pieces. Fashion is fun to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or