U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 PM

1,869 posts, read 6,788,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I will be 51 this year.
About 5 years ago I switched to all chemical free products. Most cosmetics and personal care products contain them. I read the books entitled " Gorgeously Green " by Sophie Uliano. That was a good start for finding chemical free products. I tried many of them. Many companies have trial sizes that you can try to see if you and your skin like something. I also bought a book where they give you recipes for making your own face products. Some of these are easy recipes. For instance the toner that I make is only distilled water and Bragg's apple cider vinegar. The toner helps with my uneven skin tone and I love it! Some of the name brands that are my favorite now after reading the above mentioned books are:

Simply Divine Botanicals - Creme de la rose (or something similar to that; cannot remember the exact name for it) This is a moisturizer that smells heavenly and helps my skin stay nice and soft. I also use their "pack my bags I'm leaving" for my undereye circles. This company is mentioned in the above books.

I use Face Naturals and Alfaffia for shampoos and face wash, Sally B's for serum and lipsticks. I use Kiss my Face olive oil soap in the shower.

I use Rejuva Minerals for much of my make-up. A little more expensive but worth it. When you go to the website they even have an option where you can take a photo of your clean face and they will recommend certain products for you. I use their powders, foundation.

My primer is Super Goop CC Cream. This one has lasted me over a year already.

Use the website EWG or Skin Deep for finding cosmetics. They are rated by how good they are for the skin/hair etc. O is the best rating, 0-2 is generally considered OK. They even have an app that will scan beauty products and give them a score when you are shopping. Beware many store bought brands of make-up are rated high. I have found 1 store bought foundation that I liked and than they discontinued it.

Whole Foods carries some of the more popular brands of organic skin care. Sprouts has some as well. But most everything I buy is online now.

I just discovered a new website and just ordered from it in the last two months. They have some beautiful mineral color blushes and eye shadows but I cannot remember the name of it. They also had sample sizes that were nice to try their products.

I am rambling on but that is what I would suggest. I feel like my skin has never looked better. So I would try these options first! Good luck!
I use a cleanser and moisturiser I get at Whole Foods currently but I think it's not working for me now. So frustrating! I'm thinking of going. Ack to Marybeth cohr products. I used them and loved them about 8 years ago but stopped because I had to order them online, they are expensive and shipping was high too. But my skin was wonderful on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM

739 posts, read 383,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I'm allergic to Mary Kay. I've tried it and it was a no go for me
Me, too.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:01 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,183,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I need skin care and makeup recommendations. I've always had great skin. Clear and smooth. I just turned 51 and feel as if overnight my pores have become large. The texture isn't smooth. My colouring in uneven. It's dry. My make up absorbs by noon. Gets caught in my pores and lines. I stopped wearing eye makeup all together. I've always had sensitive skin and can't tolerate frangeance in anything I use. Now suddenly I feel like that has also gotten worse. After giving my skin a rest from anything for ten days I wore foundation out yesterday and my eyes watered from the moment I put it on and continued the rest of the day. I'm at a loss. I obviously need new skin care as well as makeup but don't know where to begin. Suggestions?

Look into Paula's Choice Skincare.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:45 AM

27,085 posts, read 28,767,186 times
I am younger than you, but this year I have been experimenting with a different skincare regime. I started using an oil cleanser this year and it has been a game changer. My skin looks way better, softer and more moisturized. I definitely recommend trying an oil based cleanser.

Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse works great (in my travel bag)
Boscia's oil cleanser is good too - I had a sample and I finally tried it and found it did a good job.

I have been using this daily - Whish Cleansing Oil - as I was trying it out, and wasn't sure I wanted to commit to the Dermalogica for daily use. It was clearance and I got it for $5 at Ulta. I like the Boscia cleanser better, and I'll likely get that when this runs out. Or try the Burt's Bees.

I am not exactly sure what the right price is. But these choices have all been good.

You can also oil cleanse with regular oil. I tried another way with olive oil and cotton pads - but I like the cleansers better for daily use.

It is definitely worth a try to use these super hydrating cleansers. I have also added hydrating overnight face masks. This keeps things nice for me. I recently purchased this - the Vichy mineral mask - and it works great. You put it on, let it sit for 10 minutes and rub in any excess. You "wash off" in the morning. If you put on too much it is a little sticky, just rub it in more. The next day your skin is super soft.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM

4,594 posts, read 5,027,309 times
Pevonia RS2 line works great!
It's specifically for Rosecea but for whatever reason works great on my skin that's similar to yours OP.
You can order it from Amazon much cheaper than you'll find it at Spas.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:07 PM

740 posts, read 253,973 times
I use disposable washcloths​ and add a little lather from dove soap, coconut oil for make up remover, then Skin Renewal Lotion (from OBrien Pharmacy in Mission, Ks), then sunblock. I prefer Clinique City Block, Trish mcEvoy and Neutrogena tinted block. I don't wear foundation.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 PM

14,595 posts, read 18,059,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Look into Paula's Choice Skincare.
EXACTLY what I was going to recommend.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM

14,795 posts, read 30,213,926 times
I am nearly 68, and several years ago quit using all commercial products on my skin. I use only water to wash face in the morning, and at night a little coconut and/or argan oil to remove makeup (if I have worn any that day). The only makeup I use are small amounts of the most natural brands I can buy, I like L'Oreal TrueMatch mineral powder. I don't need to moisturize, I have oily skin and live in Florida, I have few wrinkles despite going in the sun for a bit each day (no sunscreen) I also swear by spraying rose hydrosol mist on my face - this is just rose petals water. It makes your skin glow. Lastly, I quit exfoliating altogether - I noticed that even when I did it with a mild natural scrub my skin looked WORSE. Believe it or not, less is more when it comes to your skin health.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,198,251 times
Age is 57 good skin no wrinkles few faint lines. Is hot weather these days so start the face cleaning with Korean mugwort soap or my other Korean face soap( forgot the name). Use rosewater I make myself as long as my garden rose blooms and keep it in fridge. After summer is over I re-buy the facial mist one of the types sold by Innisfree.
Daytime I use Apieu Waterfull ccucmber gel instead of daycream.
Nighttime but not every night sleeping pack either my Innisfree Green Tea sleeping pack jar is now at 1/5 left in it. Or the sachets Misscha sleeping packs pearl or green I get approx 3 to 4 uses out of the sachet. Wintertime I use a german violet nightcream sold by a pharmacy online Hildegard von Bingen blue cap glass jar. I have to buy new heatwave damaged it.
Two to three times a week I do sheet mask I use mostly the rose, pearl or green tea from several Korean brands I have The Saem now and a new to me acai berry and a grapefruit for brightening skin.
In colder seasons I do chamomile tea with my facial steamer.
Sometimes I do a plain yoghurt facial.
Due to CHF my glow is gone and I often look quite pale. Two years ago I discovered highlighter online. From www.tambeauty.com I have the MakeUpRevolution peaches and golden highlighters those I find have a real nice glow.
From there I also have an inexpensive eyeshadow palette Neutrals vs Newtralls I do not wear e/s often so avoid pricey.
I also have some SleekMakeUp eyeshadow pallettes they last long time. I have lipsticks which I switched to more flattering colors because what I used to wear in my younger years has become too dark too intense. In Korean AsianBeauty cosmetics I found lots of lip products which are lighter texture vibrant color.
Today I am wearing Cherry water gloss by The Saem. The packaging is like a big shiny candy very pretty. I buy at
www.en.koreadepart.com the sheet masks, sleeping packs, lip products.
On my face I use Apieu pearl powder. I never use foundation. I have a flamingo color blush and a palette of Sleek blushes.
In my college years I used like 2 tubes of foundation my skin did not breathe so gave up on liquid makeup.
I never exfoliate is way too harsh. All my makeup fits into a makeup case the size of a small size shoebox.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:40 PM

219 posts, read 94,045 times
If you have sensitive skin I have used Ora's Amazing Herbal products and love them! They have an anti-aging face oil serum that is nice and I use their face powder scrub along with their ultra healing body butter for my face moisturizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or