U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:32 PM

17,960 posts, read 22,281,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
So does anyone recommend a wrinkle "filler" for daytime use? I have one from ROC, but wondering if there are any better?

I have a deep "11" between my brows - looks like I'm always angry - I hate it! I'm 49 btw, and they're deeper than I think they should be for my age.

Anyone do Botox? I'm thinking about that for the "11".

For the "11", I generally do Botox and filler. It lasts six months. I started in my early 40s and I think that it's prevented further deep grooves in my skin.

"The Eleven" once was a Grateful Dead song that came after "St. Stephen" on a live album. "Live Dead"?

Now it has a whole new meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 PM

1,092 posts, read 742,804 times
Like others, I really like Paula's Choice for some skin care. I also love Philosophy's Purity Cleanser.
Make-up...I have really dialed back in my 50's. I have a cousin who is a professional make-up artist. She has always drilled in my head no eye liner on the bottom after 50. It ages you and draws the eyes down. Also, black mascara and eye liner are way too harsh after 50. I switched to brown, which is softer. It's sad, but the truth is, the older we get, eye make-up works against us. Just a little mascara.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 PM

11,595 posts, read 19,778,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Like others, I really like Paula's Choice for some skin care. I also love Philosophy's Purity Cleanser.
Make-up...I have really dialed back in my 50's. I have a cousin who is a professional make-up artist. She has always drilled in my head no eye liner on the bottom after 50. It ages you and draws the eyes down. Also, black mascara and eye liner are way too harsh after 50. I switched to brown, which is softer. It's sad, but the truth is, the older we get, eye make-up works against us. Just a little mascara.
Very true. I was playing with eyeshadow trying to do a smokey eye...it was like the lady in some ad for kids snacks....just a mess!!

I do like to wear a matte shell pink on my lids with a light sweep of plummy brown on the brow bone. It adds a little depth to my eyes but pretty much everyone would say I don't wear makeup.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:03 PM

422 posts, read 422,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I decided to go cruelty free and found Mad Hippie. Love their stuff. I use the VitC serum, the Vit A serum, and the moisturizer. And the cleanser. My skin is sensitive, I have rosacea, and it's dry...in fact I must be the only person who got drier using cleansing oils...I tried two...and was done. Liked how they cleaned but in days my skin was rough and patchy.

As for makeup...I use E L F, a stick concealer called barely there. Under my eyes, on the red cheeks and chin, blended with a damp sponge. My foundation preference is wet/dry powder, put on very lightly with a damp sponge. I've never understood why everyone says that's the heavier application, I've always found it to be the lightest. But I can't find any that are any good anymore.
Ok, I have a dumb question. How much serum do you use and how do you apply the serum? The serums didn't come with instructions. I'm guessing you use a couple of drops, rub it into your palms and pat onto your face? Or is it better to put a drop on your fingertip and rub it on?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:55 PM

11,595 posts, read 19,778,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Ok, I have a dumb question. How much serum do you use and how do you apply the serum? The serums didn't come with instructions. I'm guessing you use a couple of drops, rub it into your palms and pat onto your face? Or is it better to put a drop on your fingertip and rub it on?
They are thinner that other serums I've used, that require two drops...with the Vit C, I shake the bottle and suck up a dropper full and use that. My skin tends to be dry. With the Vit A serum I use a half. It seems a little thicker.

I use the cleanser, too. I love this line, and it was my first try when I decided to go cruelty free.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:05 PM

219 posts, read 93,756 times
I like Vinoperfect Radianace Serum by Caudalie from b-glowing.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:16 PM

35,557 posts, read 43,784,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I need skin care and makeup recommendations. I've always had great skin. Clear and smooth. I just turned 51 and feel as if overnight my pores have become large. The texture isn't smooth. My colouring in uneven. It's dry. My make up absorbs by noon. Gets caught in my pores and lines. I stopped wearing eye makeup all together. I've always had sensitive skin and can't tolerate frangeance in anything I use. Now suddenly I feel like that has also gotten worse. After giving my skin a rest from anything for ten days I wore foundation out yesterday and my eyes watered from the moment I put it on and continued the rest of the day. I'm at a loss. I obviously need new skin care as well as makeup but don't know where to begin. Suggestions?
What I think is that you are at the mercy of your heritage and your hormones. If you have the money, you should go to the skin care section of a dermatologist. You can go spend a bunch of money on products which may, or may not do any good, but at least you will feel as if you are doing what you can.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 PM

422 posts, read 422,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
They are thinner that other serums I've used, that require two drops...with the Vit C, I shake the bottle and suck up a dropper full and use that. My skin tends to be dry. With the Vit A serum I use a half. It seems a little thicker.

I use the cleanser, too. I love this line, and it was my first try when I decided to go cruelty free.
Thanks. It is thin and I wasn't sure how much to use. I think I've gotten a feel for it now. I also got the Vitamin C serum and Vitamin A serum. It may be wishful thinking but I think I've already noticed a difference after a few days of use.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM

65 posts, read 60,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
For the "11", I generally do Botox and filler. It lasts six months. I started in my early 40s and I think that it's prevented further deep grooves in my skin.

"The Eleven" once was a Grateful Dead song that came after "St. Stephen" on a live album. "Live Dead"?

Now it has a whole new meaning.
I thought Botox was a filler... please educate me further

Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM

9,558 posts, read 15,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know what to tell you about coarsening of skin; my chin is going that way and I have no idea what to do about it. Maybe a mask? I hope someone here recommends a good one.

I am 70. People tell me I have good skin. I have been asked why I don't have wrinkles! (Actually I do have them.) Here is what I do:

Cleanse with CeraVe moisturizing cleanser. I use warm water and a soft cotton washcloth. I use a clean washcloth every night.

Moisturize with CeraVe a.m. and p.m. moisturizers, morning and night and after every shower.

I use CeraVe eye care cream morning and night.

You can buy CeraVe products in any drugstore. They seem expensive, but if you price comparable products at Ulta or Sephora, you will see they are much less expensive than designer brands. I am told that CeraVe products are recommended by dermtologists.

For makeup, I generally use Revlon products for makeup and other coverage issues because I have never found better matches for my skin with any other brand. Many brands seem to have gray or yellow undertones that don't match to my peachier skin tone. For the last 2-3 years I've been using Revlon's BB cream alone, and I've liked it fine. I am now experimenting with one of their makeup lines, and I am deciding if I like it. I compared the color to a comparable Loreal and decided the Revlon was less yellow.

I think for our older skin, we need lighter weight makeup, if we use makeup. I also think that we need to consistently moisturize. But I don't like toner, or anything with any alcohol in it. My skin does not like any sort of drying ingredient.

I do use a little blush as well, and mascara. I no longer use eye shadow and rarely do I use liner. If you watch Cindy Jacob's video about her products, she will tell you to dispense with eye makeup, as it doesn't work for most of us older women.

I am seeing posts about only using "natural" product, or not using products with "chemicals" in them. I don't know that the latter statement even means. Everything we put on our face is a sort of chemical, unless you use plain water, which is also a chemical, strictly speaking. When ever I've used "natural" products, I've gotten a reaction. I stick with products that have some research behind them, and that are beneficial. I do like CeraVe products, and can give them a strong recommendation.

My dermatologist also recommends CeraVe products!

Also, I like the Clinique line of products. They are hypoallergenic, no inks, dyes, perfumes, etc. They have a line of anti-aging serums that are expensive, but I find good for my type of skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or