U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 AM

3,608 posts, read 1,521,559 times

Advertisements

To satisfy the [mostly] men who run the fashion industry, and who make vast profits by selling the idea that you are not OK (because a woman's only value is her appearance), but that you can become more OK (though never completely OK) by buying the latest item - which, oh, by the way, in a year or two wearing that same item will make you totally not OK because now it's "out of style".

It certainly isn't for the sake of the men they are interested in, or who would be interested in them. Heterosexual men with a normal sex drive do not need women to wear certain fashion items (which usually translates into low cut, revealing, or skin tight) to be interested. Evidence? Look how many babies were born in Victorian times. Obviously those guys didn't need women to dress like a Kardashian [whoever the he!! they are, anyway] to be interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 AM

7,003 posts, read 5,201,036 times
All I'm going to say is this. I notice that my fiance does really dress up when she's going out to something with other women (bridal or baby shower, etc.) I can tell in the differences in how she accessorizes, dresses, etc.

If you don't believe me, look at how a group of women are dressed for a girls night, weekend brunch/lunch, shower, etc.

Many of them do take it up a level.

I think that for many of them, there is similar mentality in dressing for work.

Of course, some women dress more revealingly to attract men. That's another ball of wax but I think that its typically seen on an evening out at a bar or whatever. While some will do so more often at a broader spectrum of social situations (like the office), its usually a woman who is painfully, obviously insecure.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 AM

18,890 posts, read 12,498,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm not going to lie, I sometimes dress with others in mind. I know when I'm going to turn heads, both women and men. I know which women will be complimentary and I know which ones it will **** off.

I had an event this past weekend and I knew there would be a couple of women attending that aren't so nice. SO I made sure I looked really good to let them know where I have the upper hand. (They wouldn't even say hello...mission accomplished. ) I can't help it that some of the men noticed too.

There are times when I specifically won't dress up or wear something because I don't want too much attention. Because I'm tall, I find things can look a lot differently on me than the average woman (I tend to look more dressed up) and I do find some women put their guard up. And then there's the issue of my bustline. I try not to wear fitted clothes, again because I don't want too much attention or to come across as trying to flaunt my body.
Occasionally, I have dressed to prove (to myself) something too.

And for certain special occasions I've made sure to wear a "knockout dress." I don't do that now though--at least not often. And I don't wear dresses any more either.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 AM

506 posts, read 226,499 times
Women who dress for men are called sluts by women who dress for each other.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:51 PM

18,890 posts, read 12,498,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Occasionally, I have dressed to prove (to myself) something too.

And for certain special occasions I've made sure to wear a "knockout dress." I don't do that now though--at least not often. And I don't wear dresses any more either.
I meant to use a different term instead of knockout dress. I meant to say, drop dead dress.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,278,784 times
I'm always complimented on how I dress even when I'm not trying to really be "dressed" because I know what looks good on my body type and colors that compliment me. I've always dressed for me and knew early on what complimented me and what didn't and in return I've always caught men and women's attention because you can't help but notice someone with impeccable style. At my last job the first thing everyone would say about me was how nice I dressed and how they wished every woman in the department dressed the way I did. Women's opinion of me has never mattered because the majority of the time the woman will be envious of you before she compliments you however I do feel flattered when a man gives me a compliment because it takes something special to garner a man's attention that's just being nice with no hidden agenda.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 4,583,643 times
From my experience in life being female and being around a lot of other females, a lot of the time young women dress for other women, though they will usually say "I dress for myself". While the older you get, the more you actually do honestly just dress for yourself because you're more secure with who you are and don't give a damn what other people think.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM

17 posts, read 5,795 times
I think most of the time women dress for themselves, but they do so to impress the women and men around them. I like to dress in what I think looks good & goes with my style and I'm influenced by fashion I see on other women. If i see a girl wearing a great outfit, I will want similar pieces as long as it's flattering my body type. I do like receiving compliments from other women though and from my guy

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 PM

15 posts, read 6,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
Ultimately, I dress for my pleasure...however, if it makes certain men happy as well, then that's just the cherry on top.

Never that.
I do not dress beautifully/nice to make a "guy" happy. Just not my thing. I dress up/nice when i want to when it makes ME happy... But lol to Gretchen.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 PM

15 posts, read 6,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
From my experience in life being female and being around a lot of other females, a lot of the time young women dress for other women, though they will usually say "I dress for myself". While the older you get, the more you actually do honestly just dress for yourself because you're more secure with who you are and don't give a damn what other people think.

This, right here is me, so secure, and i can attract men/women as i do for a long time, without "playing let's dress up for a man." or woman. et.al., but i've been this way, not as i get older(30s) but since high school.

Good post Sparrow icam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or