U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 734,123 times

Advertisements

Myself. And I know this because a few times I've worn something that no one seemed to like, but I still wore them because I liked them. I'm kinda' selfish that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM

12,672 posts, read 9,420,097 times
I recall Johnny Carson interviewing Angie Dickinson on The Tonight Show. (If you are not old enough to know who they were, just google it.)

Johnny: "Do you dress more to impress women or men?"

Angie, without skipping a beat: "I dress for women, of course. I undress for men." <rimshot>

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 597,010 times
I think most women who are "single and looking" will dress to impress men, while I think that most married women will dress for comfort unless they are narcissistic or have jobs in which looking fashionable matters.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
While reading another post titled How Much Does Fashion Matter To You, I thought about a question that always was stuck in the back of my mind. Do women dress more to impress other women around them, or more for the opposite sex? Now I already know a vast majority of women (or people in general) will say "I don't dress to impress anyone", but I'm looking more for the insights of others.
Many of my friends have really good taste, dress incredibly well, and have a skill set when it comes to fashion that I would like to have. When one of them notices something I put together on the occasions I actually dress up, it is more meaningful because it is "approval" coming from someone who is an expert, so to speak. Most of the men of my acquaintance, including my husband, are not skilled in fashion and particularly women's fashions. So when the hubs tells me I look nice, it is pleasant but it is not a reflection on how I dressed particularly. Even worse is when random guys make comments, which usually are not about how you dress but how you look.

So yes, I suppose I care more about what some women think of my clothing choices more than most guys.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:55 PM

219 posts, read 88,373 times
I would say in general that most women dress to impress other women because we are so critical and judgemental of each other!

Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Years ago, when I worked in a department with 3 men and 12 women, I was very aware of my dress sense and it was important to me that I looked stylish, classy and elegant, not a hair out of place. And I certainly didn't wear the same outfit more than once in a 3 week period.

However, after a massive downsizing, it was just me and the 3 men. Almost overnight, I changed. I no longer cared what I looked like, to the extent that I had before. I gave little thought to the nuances of what earrings to wear, styled my hair less, sometimes I didn't even wear makeup (oh, the HORROR).

The conclusion I arrived at, is that I was somehow dressing in a way to not be judged by women. When I told someone else this anecdote, they came to a different conclusion - that I was subconsciously competing against the other women, for the attention of the men. I am not sure if this is true... in my mind if I imagine it's just a department of women, I think I would have behaved the same. Who knows?
If you're like me, it was for the women...not a competition for the attention of the men.

With conversations like this, it's easy for me to know where I stand without having to do any soul-searching. I know that I don't want male attention, other than from my husband. I'm happily married. Also, whistling, cat-calling, obvious flirting, up-and-down staring, etc. has always made me pretty uncomfortable, even when I was single, and that's even more the case now.

Plus, if I dressed for men, I would probably take more of what my husband, his friends and the many other guys I know say into account. For what it's worth, the general consensus among these guys (mid-20s to early 30s) is that tunics, oversized sweaters, printed leggings, UGG boots and similar, bright or dark lipstick, eyeshadow that isn't in a neutral color, etc. are ugly. These guys seem to be more into the look of women in the early 2000s...super low rise, really tight flared jeans and tight baby T's, short and tight jean shorts, Daisy Dukes...just with more neutral makeup, since of course, guys like the "natural" look but of course prefer how we look when we're at least partially made-up.

Of course, my husband, his brother, our roommate and a handful of friends aren't exactly a good example of what all of today's guys think, but I doubt they are the only ones. And I also doubt that I'm the only one who has ignored the fact that my husband didn't like something (I have three pairs of UGG boots that I wear all winter long, even though he calls them "UGGlys").

So...although I do dress for my husband in some cases (sometimes when others aren't around to see ) I ignore some of his (and his friends') "opinions" about clothing because I like to wear what *I* like or what is considered fashionable. To me, that means I'm either dressing for myself, other women, or both. I think it's probably both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or