U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What are you bringing with you going to the store? I personally don't even understand why women bring purses everywhere. Half the time they don't even need 'em! Its just fashion and guys don't really give a *** about that.
Women actually do carry bags because they need them and it has nothing to do with what impresses men. You're forgetting that a lot of women's clothing doesn't have pockets (leggings, dresses, skirts, some pants, even) and even if they did have pockets, I know I, personally, don't want to walk around with pockets crammed with everything I need for the day when it's so much easier to put things in a bag. Men are realizing this, as well, hence the need for a backpack, tote, or briefcase.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-29-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,131,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Women actually do carry bags because they need them and it has nothing to do with what impresses men. You're forgetting that a lot of women's clothing doesn't have pockets (leggings, dresses, skirts, some pants, even) and even if they did have pockets, I know I, personally, don't want to walk around with pockets crammed with everything I need for the day when it's so much easier to put things in a bag. Men are realizing this, as well, hence the need for a backpack, tote, or briefcase.
Yup.

Even if I do have pockets in what I'm wearing, I'm very fond of the idea of having everything in one place (and not having my clothes weighted-down, often unevenly, with the stuff that I want to carry).

Perhaps I should get my partner to carry a tote. He's always forgetting one thing or another, as he has to unload and repack his pockets every day.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:59 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,690,142 times
Tried taking my laptop in a backpack on the plane, seemed very heavy and was worried about it falling out. Just used an LL Bean backpack daughter used in High School.

My brother worked for Saks and got Louis Vuitton collection while working there ( employee discount helped) and I inherited it. I got hooked on LV wallets and and Porte-Document Voyages. I get them off of Ebay so not paying retail. Yes, I know about fakes and I educate myself. I carry the LV Porte-Document Voyage with my phone , glasses , pencils, pens, nail clippers, music and papers . I don't care what people think if I am gay or not. I happen to like nice things and try to get them at discount.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:21 PM

1,865 posts, read 1,337,938 times
What would a guy carry in it, lipstick?

No guy needs a purse.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM

1,865 posts, read 1,337,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Way back when (late '60s) I carried a Samsonite briefcase. For a year or so before I retired in 2008 and while I was walking four miles, round-trip to get to and from work I carried a day pack and decidedly not a designer one. A $40 one worked just fine. As for these other things....well....a purse by any other name...!
Samsonites can even get thrown out of a plane and last (70's TV commercial)

Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 PM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post

No guy needs a purse.
Guys don't have keys, wallets, glasses, medications, phones, chargers, food, etc?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:46 PM

2,662 posts, read 5,135,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
What's your opinion about guys carrying tote bags? I find it very functional and very fashionable, but I notice there seem to be a lot of close minded "macho" rednecks here that seem to think that it's "gay" for a guy to carry one. I seriously think America is so far behind the rest of the world when it comes to these kind of things, and I'm getting a bit annoyed at how ignorant and rude some of the people here can be.
Unless you carrying a tote bag has an adverse impact on my life, health, salary or whatever, I say..carry on

Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Exactly.

I am a male {gasp!}

In days of old. men carried purses...today it'd be called {masculinely} a "money bag". They carried their money in it. They didn't have a ton of things to carry like we do today.

I carry a Swiss Army Men's travel bag ...you could call it my 'murse" if you are so inclined, to me it is just my bag. I live in a smaller rural conservative city, and often get other men commenting positively about it and asking where I got it. They don't make the model anymore or I'd post a pic. It is about 10" x 12" x 5" and has many pockets, and two main ones. I wear it just over my shoulder or crosswise. I have a slightly bigger leather one, but it is just to darn heavy by itself to carry.

Why do I carry it? To carry my schtuff in. I carry emergency medications including a big bulky Epipen; two checkbooks, cash, a leather change bag, my cell phone extra charger, my cell phone, my extra glasses, my paper {gasp!} 2 year calendar, pens, 3 wallets necessary to hold all my cards {medical, prescription, ID, credit, shopping loyalty cards, etc}, extra small emergency fixodent for my fake teeth, toothpickers for the few real teeth I have left, bandaids, my stevia sugar free liquid sweetner, diabetic supplies etc, etc, etc..

I could NOT carry all that in my pockets! In fact the bag is overstuffed as it is.

I don't give a rat's ass about what people, men in particular, think.

The men who are against it are probably NOT secure in their manhood and have to "look macho" by not carrying anything to cover up their insecurities!

Makes me go "hmmmm"....

I carry almost none of that with me but I can see where a tote bag would be of benefit to you. Wondering if they have bags that would be able to hold my can of WD40 and roll of duct tape as sometimes I have to look for a place to set those if I ever come across a cool looking rock that I want.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM

3,417 posts, read 2,895,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post

No guy needs a purse.
I totally agree with this. I have seen guys carrying them though, but in all honesty (and nothing is wrong with it) they were guys who appeared to more than likely be carrying base, powder, mascara, blush, hair gel, lip gloss, etc. Which, kinda goes to what the OP is complaining about that men who carry bags absolutely are a certain way which is why they are immediately stereotyped as that certain way.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I carry almost none of that with me but I can see where a tote bag would be of benefit to you. Wondering if they have bags that would be able to hold my can of WD40 and roll of duct tape as sometimes I have to look for a place to set those if I ever come across a cool looking rock that I want.
LOl, thanks.

I carry duct tape, bungie cords, wire, WD40, oil, antifreeze, brake/steering fluid, STP treatment, dry gas and MORE in a "tote" of another kind {large plastic bin} in the back of my minivan!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty