U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 16 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,849,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Women actually do carry bags because they need them and it has nothing to do with what impresses men. You're forgetting that a lot of women's clothing doesn't have pockets (leggings, dresses, skirts, some pants, even) and even if they did have pockets, I know I, personally, don't want to walk around with pockets crammed with everything I need for the day when it's so much easier to put things in a bag. Men are realizing this, as well, hence the need for a backpack, tote, or briefcase.

I never suggested anything about impressing men. I'm not straight but, I'm sure no straight guy is impressed by purses. I'm just speaking as a guy, that I dunno why I'd ever need a tote bag. Ever. When I go out I don't bring anything unnecessary. I don't bring a laptop, I don't bring or wear make up, I don't bring a brush. I bring my wallet, phone, keys if I'm driving and that's it. If I'm going fishing I'll bring a fishing pole to the lake, if I'm gonna be on my laptop chances are I'm at school and have my backpack anyway. I just don't see what you're lugging around at the mall or walking around town for. Now in the case of bringing a laptop around, a tote bag isn't even good for that. The best thing for that would be a messenger bag. Why would you want to carry around a heavy expensive device in a tote bag? I also hate carrying so many things in general. My philosophy is "bring as little things as possible" when going out. Don't need it? Leave it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 02:51 PM

1,229 posts, read 964,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
Yeah exactly, that's what a tote bag is... of course you had to show the one that looks super feminine with the bright colors and flowers all over it... You can get tote bags in many different designs and colors. Don't know why so many guys, especially from Texas are so hung up about this. It's like they're stuck in the closet. I respect people who have an open mind about things like this and aren't so quick to judge others saying that it's "gay" to wear this or that. It's like those type of guys have something to prove. I never seen so many of those types anywhere else but here. However I'm not surprised to see that most locals who were born and raised here seem to all carry the same "mentality".
nah....actually this is a legit picture of what appears in my mind when I hear the words tote bag. I grew up in the 70's where these bags were all over the place lol

Old 03-29-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Guys don't have keys, wallets, glasses, medications, phones, chargers, food, etc?
Keys go in your pocket, as do wallets. Glasses go on your face. If yer not gonna wear them then don't bring them. Trust me, I've lost too many glasses in the past. I dunno how many guys go travelling around with medication so I won't speak for no one but myself but the only time I need to take medication is taking pain killers after surgery so I'm not going anywhere in that case anyway. How many people except those who have on the clock med requirements are going around with pills anyway? Phone goes in the pocket. Charger? If you're going somewhere you might need to charge your phone at, you can just fit it in your pocket and use it then. If you're charging your phone I'm assuming you'll be relatively stationary. Food? Why would you need to pack food? Are you going hiking in the woods? In which case a backpack is best lol.

I dunno about you but I don't bring much stuff with me. I'm sorry that women's clothes are designed to have crappy pockets but men's pants have great pockets with actual function. And most men don't feel the need to pack half the house with them whenever they go to a store or into town for a few hours.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I totally agree with this. I have seen guys carrying them though, but in all honesty (and nothing is wrong with it) they were guys who appeared to more than likely be carrying base, powder, mascara, blush, hair gel, lip gloss, etc. Which, kinda goes to what the OP is complaining about that men who carry bags absolutely are a certain way which is why they are immediately stereotyped as that certain way.

Yea the stigma of "carrying a purse as a man is gay" isn't just one held by straight men, but by gay men too. Not saying if you do you're gay, but if you do, you raise a few notches on the gaydar. I asked my friend who is not only gay, but married to a French man, on his opinion on guys who carry tote bags. His response; "They're probably gay." and then said "My husband used to carry around a man bag. I stopped that *** fast!" Yea there's nothing with carrying a tote bag as a guy. I personally wouldn't, but everyone has the right to do what they want as long as its not illegal or hurting anybody. However don't act like assumptions of being gay or effeminate come out of thin air. Because honey, stereotypes exist for a reason. Its just PC to pretend like they don't.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 446,138 times
Quote:
Women actually do carry bags because they need them and it has nothing to do with what impresses men. You're forgetting that a lot of women's clothing doesn't have pockets (leggings, dresses, skirts, some pants, even) and even if they did have pockets, I know I, personally, don't want to walk around with pockets crammed with everything I need for the day when it's so much easier to put things in a bag. Men are realizing this, as well, hence the need for a backpack, tote, or briefcase.
1000x Thank You!!

As a woman, I would love to not carry a purse, but women's clothes make it virtually impossible, since the vast majority have no pockets. With some recent shoulder problems, I have taken to having my purse in the car & only carrying a mini-purse with just credit cards, phone, keys, reading glasses, note paper & pen INTO stores & I've liked it so much, I've stuck with it. The big purse is in the car if I need it, but the mini works for inside the store, the majority of the time.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I carry almost none of that with me but I can see where a tote bag would be of benefit to you. Wondering if they have bags that would be able to hold my can of WD40 and roll of duct tape as sometimes I have to look for a place to set those if I ever come across a cool looking rock that I want.
This is my gym/day bag and it sits in my truck when I'm done with the gym.

My computer bag has enough room for any other crap I'm "toting" and it's going to be a short "tote". I'm not ever going to be caught carrying a murse in a mall or to a movie, oh hell nawwww.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM

1,866 posts, read 1,338,804 times
Quote:
Guys don't have keys, wallets, glasses, medications, phones, chargers, food, etc?
Of course they do. It's why pants have pockets.

The only reason women don't load their pockets up is because it interferes with their curves/figure. Hard to have great shape in tight jeans with a ball of keys and a thick wallet popping out.

Maybe these guys with purses are trying to display their figures? Show everyone how good they look in their fashionable skinny jeans?

If you carry all that stuff get some cargo pants. I personally just leave everything in my truck if I'm going somewhere.
If you do need a bag to carry your everyday stuff, stay away from the frilly/prissy stuff. A gym bag doesn't go with your shoes?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 PM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times
I'm a woman of a certain age. Still I'm not dead so I take a second look when the guys are fine. I saw a seriously nice looking guy. Tall, slim and way too young for me, probably in his mid to late 20's. I was admiring the fit of his jeans when he placed his purse on the counter and fished out his wallet. UGH! Total turn off. I have no explanation. I'm just telling you what my reaction was.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:05 AM

101 posts, read 347,642 times
Cargo pants? lol, are you serious? I wouldn't be caught dead wearing something as ugly as those. I rather stick everything into a bag and carry it. Different people carry different things. Some people are unsure of what to bring, hence why just throw everything into a bag and be on your way. Incase you forgot something behind, its better peace of mind knowing that you brought it with you than to not. I'm tired of the macho men mentality here. Might as well wear some oakley wraparound glasses with those cargos. This pretty much sums it up. No wonder why America is lacking compared to the rest of the world when it comes to having a sense of style. They just don't care about how they look.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 AM

101 posts, read 347,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm a woman of a certain age. Still I'm not dead so I take a second look when the guys are fine. I saw a seriously nice looking guy. Tall, slim and way too young for me, probably in his mid to late 20's. I was admiring the fit of his jeans when he placed his purse on the counter and fished out his wallet. UGH! Total turn off. I have no explanation. I'm just telling you what my reaction was.
Certain age? You must be pretty old then, assuming that the guy was in his late 20's and he's way too young for you. Get with the times or perhaps get out of the woods. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a guy carrying a bag or clutch these days. You people are living in the 1900's or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty