U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,904,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
Certain age? You must be pretty old then, assuming that the guy was in his late 20's and he's way too young for you. Get with the times or perhaps get out of the woods. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a guy carrying a bag or clutch these days. You people are living in the 1900's or something.
A clutch?!?!?! Seriously? A CLUTCH!?!?!? Now that is something that is completely different than just a tote bag. Dudes dont carry "clutches". Again, there is nothing wrong with it, but I guarantee you that 99.99999999% of guys carrying clutches are in fact gay.

Nothing "wrong" with carrying a clutch, and certainly there is nothing wrong with being gay, but dont be surprised, shocked or alarmed when people think or say that a guy carrying a clutch for fashion purposes is gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM

7,122 posts, read 2,222,628 times
Quote:
What's your opinion about guys carrying tote bags? I find it very functional and very fashionable, but I notice there seem to be a lot of close minded "macho" rednecks here that seem to think that it's "gay" for a guy to carry one. I seriously think America is so far behind the rest of the world when it comes to these kind of things, and I'm getting a bit annoyed at how ignorant and rude some of the people here can be.
Any man who would carry a tote bag, would probably wear a coat that buttoned on the left and not think anything was wrong with it.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:06 PM

17,175 posts, read 22,205,059 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grtLSCyNrdo

Old 03-30-2017, 10:40 PM

5,496 posts, read 8,177,287 times
Quote:
I use to carry around messenger bags, and yet I still receive comments from certain guys saying sarcastic comments like "nice purse". I then moved to tote bags and find them to suit me best. I'm far from being gay and I have nothing against gays, although I still see no relationship between being gay to what a guy wears. I wish more people in America would open up and have a better sense of fashion and treat others who wish to be different with respect. America is so far behind the rest of the world. Fashion doesn't make one gay.
Here's the thing dude:

Your trying WAY too hard.

"Wah, wah, it's STYLISH"
"WAH, WAH, Americans should 'open up'"

...I've got a (checks) mountainsmith Tour pack sitting next to my lazy boy as I type this.

It's kinda a cross between a large fanny pack and a purse (has a single shoulder strap) it's intended for ultralight hikers/day trips etc.

I got it in a thrift store for about three bucks.
I took it to town today (while it's true I don't "walk around with it" I would if called for.)

You see: it's got my drugs and gun in it.
No seriously. The VA gives me too many meds to carry around without a bag, and the Glock 23 with light I wear around my rural property in a paddle holster fits in it quite well so it's out of sight, and 'innocent looking' (vs the mentioned maxpidition) and I don't have to take the light off etc.
I've also got a bottle of water (for taking meds) and the odd this or that... much like I imagine a woman's purse holds.

...but the difference is.... I just do.

You sit and protest:
"But it's STYLISH!!!"

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

If you wanta rock it... rock it.
I'm certainly not feeling bad because someone might think my hidden Glock isn't "manly"

Mountainsmith.com - Tour Lumbar Pack

ETA: And yea, those "clutches" you posted pix of are pretty gay.

Last edited by Themanwithnoname; 03-30-2017 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 11:07 PM

13,457 posts, read 15,067,428 times
Bags are great. Personally I like gym bags better as pockets are good but whatever. As long as it holds stuff it's doing its job.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,243,123 times
Men should be able to carry a man purse to hold their stuff, too. I see men carrying satchels of some kind, fabric, very casual. They could only fit so many essentials into their jacket pockets and pants pockets. Men need more stuff these days than our grandfathers did. My grandfathers just used to have a wallet with their money and pictures, and they were good to go. These days men have all kinds of things they need throughout the day.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 PM

13,457 posts, read 15,067,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Men should be able to carry a man purse to hold their stuff, too. I see men carrying satchels of some kind, fabric, very casual. They could only fit so many essentials into their jacket pockets and pants pockets. Men need more stuff these days than our grandfathers did. My grandfathers just used to have a wallet with their money and pictures, and they were good to go. These days men have all kinds of things they need throughout the day.
Like what?

I have a flashdrive on my key chain and a cell phone. Not really anything else I carry that your grandfather didn't. Somehow I survive.

Now for work I carry a fairly ridiculous amount of stuff, but that's my work bag. P

Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,243,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Like what?

I have a flashdrive on my key chain and a cell phone. Not really anything else I carry that your grandfather didn't. Somehow I survive.

Now for work I carry a fairly ridiculous amount of stuff, but that's my work bag. P
Clothes for layering, maybe an extra tee shirt, sunscreen, hairbrush, toothbrush, bag for shopping, not sure what is in the man tote/purse, it's probably just as mysterious as a woman's bag could be.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 AM

10,415 posts, read 7,500,235 times
Quote:
Certain age? You must be pretty old then, assuming that the guy was in his late 20's and he's way too young for you. Get with the times or perhaps get out of the woods. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a guy carrying a bag or clutch these days. You people are living in the 1900's or something.
Well, then you answered your own question in which case, why did you ask?

My reaction is akin to a gag reflex. Can't help it.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:34 AM

10,415 posts, read 7,500,235 times
Quote:
Rude responses require a rude reply. Maybe she should've thought of that before responding with such an arrogant tone, then perhaps I would've responded differently.
Which is it? Rude reply or arrogant tone?

A backpack or a messenger bag or something manly is not a turn off.

A purse or *gag* clutch is a woman's accessory.

If you want to emulate women, by all means. Who really cares?

I worked with a man who wore women's shoes. No one really "cared" but he was viewed as a bit odd, considering he wore strappy little things and panty hose with his men's business casual attire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty