Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM

112 posts, read 432,451 times

Advertisements

Yes I am fine for those who wish to wear a backpack, nothing wrong with that either. But I think people shouldn't fear when it comes to being a bit different or standing out a little bit. Imagine the world all driving the same kind of car, and seeing that everyday and everywhere. It gets a bit boring. Tote bags are universal. I don't see it being just for females only, and there's definitely nothing wrong with carrying one. It's just the fact that certain people have to make a fuss about it, calling it "gay" is what I don't understand. I guess guys in America are just different from the rest of the world when it comes to these kinds of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I prefer my nice leather messenger. I carry it every day to work. Occasionally on weekends for my laptop, books, chargers, maybe a rain jacket and a small pump if I'm biking. I get quite a few compliments and people ask where I bought it quite frequently.

I live in Dallas but mainly bike, train, and uber and drive as little as possible. Sometimes I'm away from my place sun up to sun down so it's convenient to carry things with me on those days.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I do not know what is wrong with those guys carrying tote bags. Whenever I approach them point at the bag and ask "What is wrong with you?" They usually give no sensible answer, or they put the bag behind their back quickly and say "It is my wife's"

So if you find out what is wrong with those guys carrying tote bags, please let me know.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM

There's nothing wrong with a guy carrying a tote bag, it's functional and looks good at the same time.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
My wife got me this Ikea bag that I take to work daily. She said I was too old to be using a backpack, & needed a more grown-up persons bag. I also bike to work on a lot of days.

One day after packing up & putting my coat & bag on I forgot something & had to go back up "to the main floor." A bunch of women work in that area. They all commented & joked about my so called 'man purse.' That was the first time I've even heard of that term & was confused what they were even talking about. I mentioned it to my wife & she attributed it to those workers being unstylish small town folks (which they all are from very small towns.) Funny that nobody ever batted an eye at this when I lived in a city.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=guys...w=1427&bih=844

Younger, urban guys carry messenger bags, and have done so for a couple of decades. I don't recall seeing a man carrying a tote bag though.

If you need to carry one,then do so. Anyone who hassles you about this is a jerk, IMO.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
while I don't think someone is too old to use a backpack if they prefer it, I do prefer the messenger. It obviously depends on where you live, because I've only heard positive things about mine and see tons of other men of all ages carrying them too. Lots of guys on the train every day too and from work with over the shoulder bags and totes of various kinds and materials. I don't see much negative talk except for on forums now and then.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I've stopped wearing my tiara to the gym for the exact same reason.

HaHaHa.

My oldest carries a messenger bag but he has his laptop and other electronic paraphernalia with him since he is an IT guy. But then again he is gay - I haven't seen too many straight guys with them although I've seen some very nice ones in the stores. They look more like a soft sided briefcase. If a guy carries a lot of stuff I don't see what the big deal is; I personally wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw a man carrying one.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not know what is wrong with those guys carrying tote bags. Whenever I approach them point at the bag and ask "What is wrong with you?" They usually give no sensible answer, or they put the bag behind their back quickly and say "It is my wife's"

So if you find out what is wrong with those guys carrying tote bags, please let me know.
Just don't ask me that,
because I'll tell you that my d... is too big and I carry a tote in case that I need to hide it

Old 03-27-2017, 02:57 PM

I use to carry around messenger bags, and yet I still receive comments from certain guys saying sarcastic comments like "nice purse". I then moved to tote bags and find them to suit me best. I'm far from being gay and I have nothing against gays, although I still see no relationship between being gay to what a guy wears. I wish more people in America would open up and have a better sense of fashion and treat others who wish to be different with respect. America is so far behind the rest of the world. Fashion doesn't make one gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty