U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,886,828 times

Advertisements

Why would someone even pay attention to what a man is carrying?

I dated a couple of guys who wore cross body bags. It never even dawned on me that it was strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 02:25 PM

10,755 posts, read 25,549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Really? All these brand names. I found that day packs from Target that were capable of holding a laptop and some file folders were more than adequate and didn't cost much. As long as they carried what I needed for work they didn't need a "name."

Guess I was/am just plebian after all.

PS. I do own a Carhartt jacket. It gets cold here.
I have had terrible luck with backpacks, in particular, since the inexpensive ones I have owned tended not to stand up to the rigors of travel, such that I was going through six or seven a year. I bought the Tumi because it matched my luggage, and it's been many thousands of miles without a problem at all. It was zippers that failed and then carrying straps that frayed from the body that were my complaints with backpacks that were $40-$50, so not exactly cheap when they have to be replaced as often as I had to do so. Then again, I have a tendency to overload a backpack at the expense of a carry on or checked bag because the backpack will tend to fit easier when full.

With tote bags, I like a zipper closure, so I've only been able to find them readily available when I need them at Ralph Lauren or LL Bean, though I do have a couple of canvas shopping bag sized totes from Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren that have held up very well, seeing that they were inexpensive ($10 or so).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM

2,972 posts, read 4,696,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
Men are the ones finding it to be strange, not women. Men perpetuate the macho culture, so they're going to have to destigmatize it amongst themselves. Men in other countries don't have such rigid ideas about clothing, physical contact, or behavior...
very much the truth.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's kind of shocking how many people consider carrying stuff around in a bag as an inherently (and insultingly) female or gay activity.
A lot of people in this thread proudly showing off their bigoted side.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Some people like a little style with their function.

As to the OP, nothing is wrong with guys carrying tote bags. Most people don't really give a rip as to what another person wears anyway. And those that would judge? It's a waste of energy to give any thought to it.
Liking how something looks and namedropping brands ate two different things, though.

But, it's a guy who's username is "bmwguydc."

I'll go out on a limb and guess that brands are a big source of identity for him.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM

13,681 posts, read 8,684,127 times
Why would a tote bag even be convenient? They are big so hold a lot of weight. Carrying it practically by your fingers is not the best way. If you have that much weight to carry around, maybe you need something else.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
They're generally used the same way shopping bags are used, no? That's what I use them for...reusable shopping bags.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:36 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have had terrible luck with backpacks, in particular, since the inexpensive ones I have owned tended not to stand up to the rigors of travel, such that I was going through six or seven a year. I bought the Tumi because it matched my luggage, and it's been many thousands of miles without a problem at all. It was zippers that failed and then carrying straps that frayed from the body that were my complaints with backpacks that were $40-$50, so not exactly cheap when they have to be replaced as often as I had to do so. Then again, I have a tendency to overload a backpack at the expense of a carry on or checked bag because the backpack will tend to fit easier when full.

With tote bags, I like a zipper closure, so I've only been able to find them readily available when I need them at Ralph Lauren or LL Bean, though I do have a couple of canvas shopping bag sized totes from Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren that have held up very well, seeing that they were inexpensive ($10 or so).
Make's sense. I used my day pack only on my two mile walk to work and the other two back home. Style didn't matter to me, just utility.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:41 PM

3,483 posts, read 1,990,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's kind of shocking how many people consider carrying stuff around in a bag as an inherently (and insultingly) female or gay activity.
Exactly.

I am a male {gasp!}

In days of old. men carried purses...today it'd be called {masculinely} a "money bag". They carried their money in it. They didn't have a ton of things to carry like we do today.

I carry a Swiss Army Men's travel bag ...you could call it my 'murse" if you are so inclined, to me it is just my bag. I live in a smaller rural conservative city, and often get other men commenting positively about it and asking where I got it. They don't make the model anymore or I'd post a pic. It is about 10" x 12" x 5" and has many pockets, and two main ones. I wear it just over my shoulder or crosswise. I have a slightly bigger leather one, but it is just to darn heavy by itself to carry.

Why do I carry it? To carry my schtuff in. I carry emergency medications including a big bulky Epipen; two checkbooks, cash, a leather change bag, my cell phone extra charger, my cell phone, my extra glasses, my paper {gasp!} 2 year calendar, pens, 3 wallets necessary to hold all my cards {medical, prescription, ID, credit, shopping loyalty cards, etc}, extra small emergency fixodent for my fake teeth, toothpickers for the few real teeth I have left, bandaids, my stevia sugar free liquid sweetner, diabetic supplies etc, etc, etc..

I could NOT carry all that in my pockets! In fact the bag is overstuffed as it is.

I don't give a rat's ass about what people, men in particular, think.

The men who are against it are probably NOT secure in their manhood and have to "look macho" by not carrying anything to cover up their insecurities!

Makes me go "hmmmm"....

Old 03-28-2017, 06:09 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,075,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I wear a fanny pack. But it conceals my Glock 9. So I guess that cancels out the gayness...
I have one that attaches to my ruck pack that's camo and I'd consider it a fanny pack that fits a SW40E.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty