Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what are the most stylish type of sandals for a guy to wear?
Flip Flops 6 13.95%
Slides 2 4.65%
Sporty 13 30.23%
Fisherman 13 30.23%
Other 9 20.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times

Advertisements

Any sandels are fine as long as it's summer and you're outdoors surrounded by sand, a pool, or the smell of steaks on the grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,505 times
I like boat shoes best... they're casual yet nice enough to wear out and about. Flip flops are fine for the beach or the pool... but that's it. I like the sporty style if you're in town more, they look more urban. In general though, unless you're near water... avoid toe exposure! The female community will thank you!

Old 03-30-2017, 06:10 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Not really a boat shoe guy.

What do you all think of canvas sneakers? Like these;

Better look than sandals?

They don't seem as hot as a regular pair of gym shoes but not as comfortable as sandals.
I like canvas sneakers. This would be a good choice in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Wow, funny to hear such strong feelings about this! No one wears closed shoes around here. Even the construction workers---flip flops. I haven't noticed any bad-looking feet, and I do tend to notice those things. We wear flip flops around the house or pool and Chaco-Teva type sandals going "out".

No more socks for us! At least I got DH out of the Birkenstocks (and yes, a felony, sometimes socks in the winter---just yuck!

Old 03-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,268 times
My hubby wears these: Mephisto Shark Dark Brown/Black Waxy Leather - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Lifetime service and he's had the soles replaced on one pair after wearing them daily for three years and off and on for four years before that. He says these are the most comfortable sandals he's ever had. He bought a second pair when the first had to go in for repair.

Southern Florida so you see more sandals and flip flops than anything else.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I prefer boat shoe for men's casual. Most men have hairy ugly feet.
This and the fisherman sandal are the only ones that to me look decent. Women do notice men's feet. It's so gross to see unkempt, hairy feet in flip flops unless they are directly by the beach or pool.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Depends on what you're wearing and where you are going.
Flip flops fine for beach, running to supermarket.

Out for casual dinner, sporty or fisherman.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 AM

522 posts, read 342,776 times
I've noticed some comments from people about wanting guys' feet covered. Valid concerns as this is what kept me from wearing sandals and flip flops in the past. I take care of mine and have been told they look good for a guy. I've had other women tell me I would look better in flip flops. That said, there are enough people annoyed by flip flops that maybe it's not very "socially acceptable".

Maybe it depends on region and age as well. Most younger women (let's say under 40) that I've asked about this said they prefer flip flops. Maybe they're just joking or they just say what they prefer to wear. I am in the midwest which you think would not be a good place for flip flops, but a lot of people (mean as well as women) go the flip flop/sandals route in the summer. I don't recall flip flops or sandals being as popular 20+ years ago.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
if you have to wear sandals - which I typically do not like on guys, go with the first one, flip flops or Birks. The others are gross
I have heard the Birks thing. There is a male fashion section on reddit, and they are all about the Birks (or rainbows) if one must wear sandals but they recommend sneakers.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
In general though, unless you're near water... avoid toe exposure! The female community will thank you!
Really? LOL I'm confused. I asked some women (friends/acquaintances) their opinions and most of them actually said they prefer flip flops (as long as they're leather) which surprised me. I asked maybe 20 or so and I'd say 75% said flip flops, and the others were split between sandals or sneakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty