U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 AM

13,132 posts, read 7,387,994 times

Advertisements

I'm 40 now, and I like wedges. They aren't uncomfortable. Regular high heels are a thing of the past for me. I'm not sure exactly when it happened. One day everything was fine; the next, it was a no-go. Being a woman is difficult compared to being a guy where fashion is concerned (among other things).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 AM

983 posts, read 396,508 times
Ballroom dancer here (same style as what you saw on DWTS).

A few things:

1. It seems counterintuitive, but stretch up taller, instead of thinking of it as trying to balance like on a surfboard and fearing that your weight will fall down at any moment. If you think "down", that's where you're going to end up.

2. Knees need to stay flexed to counterbalance the fact that your heels are now higher off the ground than they normally are.

3. Tuck hips/abs, chest/ribs stays up (literally vertically up, not pitched forward).

4. Practice walking around a lot on different surfaces (carpet, tile or hardwood, concrete).

Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 AM

1,868 posts, read 1,039,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
the trick was to always practice walking tippy toe. It forces your ankles and arch to adjust.

My Ankles no longer endure high heels ....and my sense of balance is no longer par for wearing an accident waiting to happen.

Can you opt for heels that are wedges? THey tend to give fair balance and have height....
Agree with the above..

I used to wear high heels constantly and could run and dance all night in them.. It got to the point where I'd have trouble wearing flat shoes. They just didn't feel natural or comfortable on my feet.. but that was years ago..

Now, being forced to wear even a half inch heel kills my feet for days.

Try a wedge shoe. There's less stress on your joints and you won't be as wobbly.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 AM

480 posts, read 238,457 times
Rare is the gal who can gracefully wear the stillet heel.

Mae

Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,738,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Could you run down steps in high heels?
Nope. I can't walk in them either. I fell up the steps in flip flops the other day. My back is still killing me.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:49 AM

9,141 posts, read 6,329,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Can't do them. I have plantar fasciitis, and I'm instantly hobbled.
That would do it. I've never been able to wear heels that were more than one inch high, as I broke several metatarsal bones in my feet, once when I skidded down some worn wooden basement steps when I was 16, and on a wet floor at work a number of years later. Any attempt to wear heels after that first time made my foot ache like heck and my last two toes go numb.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM

9,141 posts, read 6,329,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Rare is the gal who can gracefully wear the stillet heel.

Mae

Stilletto heel?

I always wonder if they really don't hurt the ladies who appear to be wearing them gracefully, or they do hurt and the ladies are just not complaining. Might be a clue there if you see the lady flipping off those shoes as soon as she sits down.

You ought to hear some podiatrists on the topic of the effect of long time high heel wear on the feet.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:58 AM

1,803 posts, read 772,436 times
Confidence. I find when I am wearing heels I walk with a lot better posture and seem more confident. Stand up straight, keep good posture, walk on the balls of your feet. Once I started wearing them for work, I just got used to them and learned how to walk in them.

I hate that they are so bad for your feet because I enjoy wearing them. I have been trying to wear them less because I already have pre-existing issues with my feet.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Confidence. I find when I am wearing heels I walk with a lot better posture and seem more confident.
I'm the opposite, I'm a lot less confident wearing heels because I'm spending the whole time concentrating on how my feet hurt and trying to navigate stairs, driving, uneven terrain without falling over. Anymore I'll wear wedges, but never stillettos or even pumps.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
I don't wear pointy heels anymore (the kind that can put an eye out.) But I don't mind a pump with a thicker heel...or a block heel so much.

My main issue with any shoe, is "will it stay securely on my foot?" And the main issue with THAT is, I look for a strap or straps that go across my foot...like a Maryjane style usually. I feel like I need that, as opposed to always scrunching up my toes, walking in a shoe that DOESN'T have a strap going across the foot. I feel like I can freely walk when I know the shoe is going to stay on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or