U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM

12,615 posts, read 14,630,194 times

Advertisements

I wear flats, period. I'm short, but I don't care. I'd rather be comfortable than try to impress people. And I refuse to have crippled hag feet in my old age just because I contorted my feet in high heels when I was young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 PM

322 posts, read 172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellabella2 View Post
The only tip I can offer to any woman is to wear them as LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Take a look at all the older female celebs and their mangled feet/toe bones.

Men invented high heels and have somehow convinced young women that the shoes are for their own benefit.

Think about it - women:
1) spend a fortune on heels so they can
2) end up barely able to walk without pain and then
3) spend a fortune on podiatrists all so that
4) men are turned on by their elongated-looking legs.

WTF?!

I guarantee this is one of the BEST pieces of advice you'll ever get. Oh, and also, don't wear tight-fitting flats either (length or width). These will mangle your feet too
So true! I only wear them max 5 times a year and dread it...I give props to women that can wear them constantly!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM

15 posts, read 6,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Confidence. I find when I am wearing heels I walk with a lot better posture and seem more confident. Stand up straight, keep good posture, walk on the balls of your feet. Once I started wearing them for work, I just got used to them and learned how to walk in them.

I hate that they are so bad for your feet because I enjoy wearing them. I have been trying to wear them less because I already have pre-existing issues with my feet.

My aunt is a podiatrist and says what you're citing and it's true. i highlight in red. and my posture is perfect as i am always told without high heels on lol so i am at least glad to hear this from co-worker's and others ... I only had issue first few several times lol walking in a high heel, models make it seem easy as a sea breeze.LOL

But i am 1 who wear heels quite rarely and i prefer cute lil'color Nike's on me, to cute flats. comfy/healthy nice looking feet, are so much better,
than bad fugly feet,as i seen some. .But a Tall Model-Runway et.al., they are amazing! Great how they can walk in em, then again some are just able to with minimal effort... I wear em again quite sporatic,no biggie, i prefer comfort and pretty healthy feet rather than a heel,and not ALL high heels are beautiful some are really ugly,so i am good with my sneaks,boots flats, and or a wedge sometimes, chunky heel under 4 inch preferred...Not messing up my feet for anything.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 PM

11,437 posts, read 19,463,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaine View Post

My aunt is a podiatrist and says what you're citing and it's true. i highlight in red. and my posture is perfect as i am always told without high heels on lol so i am at least glad to hear this from co-worker's and others ... I only had issue first few several times lol walking in a high heel, models make it seem easy as a sea breeze.LOL

But i am 1 who wear heels quite rarely and i prefer cute lil'color Nike's on me, to cute flats. comfy/healthy nice looking feet, are so much better,
than bad fugly feet,as i seen some. .But a Tall Model-Runway et.al., they are amazing! Great how they can walk in em, then again some are just able to with minimal effort... I wear em again quite sporatic,no biggie, i prefer comfort and pretty healthy feet rather than a heel,and not ALL high heels are beautiful some are really ugly,so i am good with my sneaks,boots flats, and or a wedge sometimes, chunky heel under 4 inch preferred...Not messing up my feet for anything.
I was 19, when I had to see a podiatrist for plantar warts and he scared me. At 19, I had the beginnings of a bunion. And he told me in graphic detail what removing it entails.

I went home and chucked the heels. At most I wore a one inch pump. At 57, I saw a podiatrist for the heel fat pad atrophy and he said...you have the beginnings of a bunion.

So...I consider that a win...

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,652,621 times
is there a trick to walking in high-heels?

Yes, a sturdy hammer and a few good whacks to knock the heels off. There ya go! pure comfort!

Old 03-31-2017, 04:55 AM

10,397 posts, read 2,823,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
That sounds just perfect-I'll do that for sure- thank you.
If there is going to be dancing at the reception, you might do a Google search for shoes made specifically for dancers. Some of them do have high heels, particularly those made for ballroom dancing, but they are generally a bit wider and more stable, not to mention less high, than ordinary heels. Or, if you go with the full length or tea length dress, particularly with a fuller skirt, you might be able to get away with a pretty ballet slipper (just a slipper, not a pointe shoe!) for the whole shebang. A kitten heel would probably also work.

Whatever you get, make sure you practice walking around in the shoes, not just for a few minutes, but for hours at a time, to make sure you are comfortable doing all the things you will want to do on the day of the wedding. There is nothing attractive about a woman tottering around on wobbly ankles, grimacing in pain over her shoes.

Congratulations, and enjoy!

Old 03-31-2017, 05:34 AM

9,160 posts, read 6,349,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I haven't seen if you've already chosen a pair HOWEVER a great way to conquer heels is to buy a pair that has a thick (usually cork) "platform" with just a slight incline. They are dressy and your feet are nearly level.
The only problem with platform shoes is the possibility that you'll twist your ankle or fall and break your ankle if you aren't careful walking in them or you try to run. I've seen it happen too many times over the years to ever think they'd work for me.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,516,146 times
After many years of wearing heels, on an every day basis I now cant wear flat shoes.. they must have a 2inch wedge or higher block heel on my boots.. which I find very comfortable, but tight pointed shoes now are out .. they cripple me more than height.. I read that the hamstring shortens over years of wearing heels ...even my trainers have a 2 inch wedge.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,817,788 times
Love all the advice. I like wearing heels because they elongate my legs, but I'm so don't do well in them.

My two cents, find something with a platform, at least 1/4". I'm not talking those that make you look like you have to balance even more on them. They cushion so your feet don't hurt as much and they lower the actual heel height. So, maybe look for something with 1/2" platform and 2" heel, that means, you only have 1.5", but still have the look of heels. Oh and chunky heels are good too. Helps you feel more stable.

Granted, I'm all for carrying a "fancy" pair of ballet flats around. That's what I did for my holiday party since my shoes were strappy and I knew I was going to be dying. Funny thing, walking was fine, it was standing in one place that was killing me.

Enjoy the wedding and I say, be comfortable, bring ballet shoes.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:48 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I wear flats, period. I'm short, but I don't care. I'd rather be comfortable than try to impress people. And I refuse to have crippled hag feet in my old age just because I contorted my feet in high heels when I was young.

Thankfully I live in Florida so I rarely have on a high heeled closed shoe which cramp the toes, I mostly wear high heeled sandals (not super high) and cute flats these days and fortunately my feet still look normal. My poor mother has hammertoes and other weird stuff going on with her feet from wearing shoes with high heels for so many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or