U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:18 AM

14,659 posts, read 29,734,549 times

Advertisements

I am in my 60s, had lifelong foot issues and always wore flats (even orthotics at one time). Several years ago I started belly dancing (which is done barefoot) and going barefoot more. I do a lot of exercise on the balls of my feet. I now take tap and ballroom dancing (more training on the balls) and I can actually comfortably wear heels now, although they need to stay on the low side.

I recommend a shaped "Cuban" heel, a kitten heel, or a shaped one inch like you see on ballroom shoes. Those are pretty comfortable.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 07:32 PM

473 posts, read 284,735 times
Played 'finishing school' as tween kid. Could run the stairs with Mom's high heals on and phone book on head.... ; )

Can still run fine in heals at 40 plus wear 5" platforms over uneven streets in bar district until too sloshy.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 PM

219 posts, read 88,718 times
start with a smaller wider heel or even a full on wedge and work your way up to thinner and taller. It just takes practice. If you are wobbly try ones with straps around the ankles or boots/ankle booties for more support first.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 AM

2,745 posts, read 2,090,179 times
Start with the heels first when you land and let the rest of your feet follow.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,212,887 times
Its just like walking in regular shoes; heel toe heel toe (just not on stairs) and take shorter steps.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:35 PM

65 posts, read 42,019 times
I used to LOVE wearing heels. I don't think there was anything special in the way I walked, however. I never did the toe first thing. The only time I had problems walking was when I tried on a pair of - I guess they were stilettos. Way too wobbly. As long as the base of the heel was the size of a penny or a nickel - I never had a problem. I can only wear flats now and always feel as though I'm wearing clown shoes. (I never could wear a backless shoe, though - then I'd walk right out of them.)

I also should mention the height. 2 1/2" heels worked. May 3". Above that - forget it.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM

7,649 posts, read 1,768,298 times
Christie Brinkley wears metatarsal pads to cushion the balls of her feet. Aerosoles and some other brands use technology to slightly shift your weight to your heels instead of ball of feet so that removes some pressure. Wear wider heels to prevent side to side wobble. I find strappy sandals (like gladiator) keep the shoes on my feet. Otherwise ankle straps. Sandals are also more comfortable because your toes are squished when pushed forward. I seldom wear heels simply because I am tall and I like to walk fast.

I also replace the heel tips if it is a hard plastic since that is slippery on noncarpeted surfaces. I have shoemaker replace them with a softer rubber. Might cost $15-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or