Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:25 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't wear pointy heels anymore (the kind that can put an eye out.) But I don't mind a pump with a thicker heel...or a block heel so much.

My main issue with any shoe, is "will it stay securely on my foot?" And the main issue with THAT is, I look for a strap or straps that go across my foot...like a Maryjane style usually. I feel like I need that, as opposed to always scrunching up my toes, walking in a shoe that DOESN'T have a strap going across the foot. I feel like I can freely walk when I know the shoe is going to stay on.
Great point. Back when I did wear heels more frequently, I liked the feel and look of an ankle strap. I knew I would walk out of the shoe, and it prevented my foot from sliding forward and squishing my toes.

Another trick to prevent stepping out of the shoe: spray the bottom of your foot with hairspray! It really works to hold your foot in place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
High heels- (actually not even that high) are not in my comfort level but I have an event coming up and will have to wear a pair. The several occasions I've worn them in the past I felt a bit wobbly and I wondered is there a trick to this? Last night watching Dancing With The Stars the ladies not only danced in them but RAN down the steps!! Could you run down steps in high heels? If you have tips to share about walking in heels please share.
Practice!

And there are several different kinds of heels. Go into a shoe store and try on different shoes with different heels. Some may be easier for you to walk in than others.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
OMG I hate them, I haven't worn heels in 20 years, I just refuse. It's like some kind of torture like having bamboo shoots shoved up your fingernails. Years ago I had a job where I had to wear them and stand up all day and after 4 or 5 hours I was leaning against every single thing I could find to take the pressure off my feet, by the time I got home I felt like crying. I kept the job for two years because I needed it to support my kids but I would rather have had a job digging trenches or cleaning toilets than walking around in those God awful shoes

Old 03-29-2017, 06:38 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
High heels- (actually not even that high) are not in my comfort level but I have an event coming up and will have to wear a pair. The several occasions I've worn them in the past I felt a bit wobbly and I wondered is there a trick to this? Last night watching Dancing With The Stars the ladies not only danced in them but RAN down the steps!! Could you run down steps in high heels? If you have tips to share about walking in heels please share.
You might feel wobbly not because of the heels per se, but because the particular pair of shoes you wear is not sturdy enough.
As in case with running shoes, we all have different fit - different points of pressure and different points where we need the support the most. High heel shoes are all different too - they distribute your weight/point of pressure differently. Some can aggravate old ankle injuries, some - no problem whatsoever in this respect, some feel wobbly right away, and some give you the right kind of support.
And they need to feel sturdy before you can run or dance in them.
So it might not be YOU, but the wrong fit that makes you wobbly.
Therefore you need to try few high heel pairs in order to figure out your "compatibility."

Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I haven't seen if you've already chosen a pair HOWEVER a great way to conquer heels is to buy a pair that has a thick (usually cork) "platform" with just a slight incline. They are dressy and your feet are nearly level.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Op - buy aerosoles brand, they are much more comfy and usually have soles that aren't slippery - you can wear all day without issue and run and dance in them A cheaper version but still comfy is LifeStride. They tend to be manmade materials vs leather with Aerosoles, still they are comfy. I have some for my walking days at work when I am in and out parking lots and buildings.

there's no reason to wear uncomfortable heels, there are many options that are well made with sufficient toe room. The cheaper they are, the worse they feel IMO. Of course I'm not talking about stilettos, as they are few and far between if they are comfy. If you must do this type, get the ones with a wedge under the front of the shoe, they are more comfy. The trick to walking in any heel is to be aware of your surroundings.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
Thank you all for your suggestions- I really appreciate it- The event is my sons wedding- Thank God this is my last child to be married so I really think this will be my "last Hurrah" for heels. All I have to do is make is down the aisle, (no one will be looking at me coming back up the aisle), then walk in when they announce the parents, and finally for the Mother /son dance. If I can make it through that then I'll have it made! I guess I should make it easy on myself and get a tea length dress so I won't have to worry about tripping on the hem of a long dress- so much to worry about! Oh........and then I have to worry about the pantyhose/no pantyhose issue.......geez...... Oh! the funny thing is - the bride showed me her dress a few weeks ago and when I commented on if she was worried about walking down the aisle in heels she said NO WAY was she wearing them!

Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Agree with the above..

I used to wear high heels constantly and could run and dance all night in them.. It got to the point where I'd have trouble wearing flat shoes. They just didn't feel natural or comfortable on my feet.. but that was years ago..

Now, being forced to wear even a half inch heel kills my feet for days.

Try a wedge shoe. There's less stress on your joints and you won't be as wobbly.
Same here. I lived in spike heels throughout my 20's & 30's, to the point where flat shoes were uncomfortable & weird.

Now, I can't wear high heels at all anymore.

Besides wedges, another thing you can try is platforms. They give you the added height, but have stability in the front, so that even with 3" of added height, you're only really are on a 1" heel.

They still take some practice, but are more tolerable than heels.

I will say I miss them so much & the way they made me look, since I'm height challenged.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:16 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Notice the heels on the gals from DWTS. They are not stilettos; they are dancing shoes, usually a shorter, thicker heel with a strap that goes around the foot.

Try a kitten heel. They are lower but still attractive.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions- I really appreciate it- The event is my sons wedding- Thank God this is my last child to be married so I really think this will be my "last Hurrah" for heels. All I have to do is make is down the aisle, (no one will be looking at me coming back up the aisle), then walk in when they announce the parents, and finally for the Mother /son dance. If I can make it through that then I'll have it made! I guess I should make it easy on myself and get a tea length dress so I won't have to worry about tripping on the hem of a long dress- so much to worry about! Oh........and then I have to worry about the pantyhose/no pantyhose issue.......geez...... Oh! the funny thing is - the bride showed me her dress a few weeks ago and when I commented on if she was worried about walking down the aisle in heels she said NO WAY was she wearing them!
Congratulations! As the mother of groom what i did when my last son got married was I bought a pair of kitten heels to go with my dress to walk into the venue when they announce you, but I also bought a pair of dressy flats in a metallic shade and switched to them the remainder of the night. It worked out well. My feet didn't hurt and I didn't have to walk around barefoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty