U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,295,208 times

Advertisements

High heels- (actually not even that high) are not in my comfort level but I have an event coming up and will have to wear a pair. The several occasions I've worn them in the past I felt a bit wobbly and I wondered is there a trick to this? Last night watching Dancing With The Stars the ladies not only danced in them but RAN down the steps!! Could you run down steps in high heels? If you have tips to share about walking in heels please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:43 PM

4,891 posts, read 2,173,743 times
the trick was to always practice walking tippy toe. It forces your ankles and arch to adjust.

My Ankles no longer endure high heels ....and my sense of balance is no longer par for wearing an accident waiting to happen.

Can you opt for heels that are wedges? THey tend to give fair balance and have height....

Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 550,198 times
Walk and run on the balls of your feet!! Even when I'm just walking normally, I don't put my heel down first because my heel might slide out from under me. That happened to me years ago and I also fell and could've landed on my butt. So I always put the balls of my feet on the ground first. Similar to tiptoeing, but not that high up.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 PM

8,099 posts, read 3,927,487 times
Yep. Walk on the balls of your feet. Don't put all your weight on your toes.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,282,133 times
I really think there are certain people that are actually comfortable in heels and those that are not regardless of how hard they try. I'm one of those people that have always loved wearing heels and I actually feel awkward in flats, however all heels are not created equal so I do not try to squeeze my feet in shoe styles that do not compliment my foot shape.

I wore some Michael Kors pumps and had blisters on my feet after the first use and I immediately returned them as that had never happened to me before out of all the years I've worn heels/pumps. So I stir clear of that brand and I only have a few brands that I wear because they are perfectly designed for my feet.

So basically it's trial and error and you have to learn your foot, whether you're flat footed, high arch, narrow, etc. then you can know how to pick heels that won't be painful.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,473,952 times
Can't do them. I have plantar fasciitis, and I'm instantly hobbled.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,238,844 times
I've never worn actual heels (for my sister's wedding, I was MoH and had to wear small heels and almost broke my neck walking down the aisle), but I have worn wedge heels and done ok. I agree that you have to balance on the balls of your feet.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 PM

26,897 posts, read 28,224,126 times
Walking in heels - don't.

I find standing in heels terrible torture. No matter the type of heels. Low block heels are better for me if I need stand.

As for walking - I agree about the balls of your feet, but also pick a pair that is stable and balanced in a flat surface. If they don't stay up without your foot, they won't stay up on your foot. Dancers heels are well balanced compared to stead are ones which makes them Orm better. You should look for them if you can.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,408,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
High heels- (actually not even that high) are not in my comfort level but I have an event coming up and will have to wear a pair. The several occasions I've worn them in the past I felt a bit wobbly and I wondered is there a trick to this? Last night watching Dancing With The Stars the ladies not only danced in them but RAN down the steps!! Could you run down steps in high heels? If you have tips to share about walking in heels please share.

Do you absolutely have to wear them?

Pointy-toed, 4" spikes were part of my daily career-wear, and yes, I could run in them...my daughter told me she still remembers the click-click-click sound they made when I was rushing around, getting ready for work & child drop off.

End result...osteoarthritis in the joint of each big toe, resulting in surgical joint fusion.

Pick some sparkly ballerina flats.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,067,369 times
A few people have already suggested walking on the balls of your feet. I don't particularly remember walking that way when I used to wear heels, but maybe I did without thinking about it.

I think it comes down to individual physiology. I can't wear heels any more without extreme pain in the balls of my feet. I've read that as you age, you lose the pad of fat in the balls of your feet. That must be it for me, because heels sure didn't used to put me in agony. Even with a gel insert, I just can't wear heels anymore. And I do miss their cuteness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or