U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 PM

3,229 posts, read 1,189,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Interesting article. It is funny when traditional cultural stuff comes to America - it gains a brand or exclusive lifestyle so someone can make money, whereas at "home" it is just normal, common and everyday.
That's really what it is. A style that was marketed to American middle class women who can afford name brand spandex.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:37 PM

1,815 posts, read 776,565 times
I keep seeing people say they don't belong in public because "you can see everything" What kind of leggings are we talking about? My jeans show just as much of my figure as some of my leggings/yoga pants. My adidas leggings aren't pantyhose, they are solid black. You can't see anything you shouldn't. Obviously not everybody is wearing the right size/fit/etc. But I can find horrible examples of women in jeans/dresses/etc that they shouldn't be wearing too.

how are these looks showing too much

but these ok?

Other than being obviously more casual, I don't see a huge difference.
If I am traveling and will be in and out of a car, hiking, running errands, hanging with friends, overall being active for the day I will wear something like the first two pics.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 PM

2,494 posts, read 1,855,434 times
Why are people always taking shots at chubby/overweight/fat individuals? Plenty of plus-sized ladies look better in the spandex because they can actually fill it out properly (nice quads/butt). This weird obsession with trying to shame fat women for some reason is tiresome.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I will agree that wearing spandex anywhere except the gym is basically the equivalent of wearing your jammies or sweatpants. But it doesn't bother me that much.

What does bother me is the unfortunate physiques of some women who choose this clothing. If you're a big fatty, DONT DO IT!!!! No one wants to see a fat old man walking down the street with his shirt off right?? Well likewise, no one wants to see fat chick wearing spandex.
Speak for yourself bro. Some chunky women can pull it off quite nicely. Avert your eyes if jiggly ladies are too much for you to handle.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Many women just like the attention or to show off what they are working with. There is no reason to wear Yoga pants to go and buy some cereal, grapes, and milk. If I can see EVERYTHING, its not appropriate to wear it to work or shopping.
No different than dudes with great musculature wearing tight shirts...what we like to call "smedium" with the extra tight sleeves for maximum bicep flex.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I think you're just picturing the appealing women when you say that, as a guy who works out all the time, do you really want to see a pack of puppies fighting in a stretched too thin garment ahead of you when you're walking down the sidewalk, or up the steps, or anywhere other than the gym? You gotta admit, it's not always pleasant. If you're going to wear spandex and a tee, I'll look the other way too, showing off your bulge isn't always appropriate.

Does fat really make you that sick? I think I could take over the United States by inundating Americans with images of confident fat women...sorta like one of those high pitched whistles. I'll have everyone barking at my command in no time flat.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:23 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,943,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always find these threads odd. Men have been wearing sweatpants, track pants, basketball shorts, etc. for years in public, but now that women are wearing yoga pants instead of jeans its suddenly this horrible trend that has taken over society.
i think the comparative would be if men wore yoga pants in public would it be a big deal ?

Old 04-01-2017, 10:37 PM

6,100 posts, read 2,305,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Does fat really make you that sick? I think I could take over the United States by inundating Americans with images of confident fat women...sorta like one of those high pitched whistles. I'll have everyone barking at my command in no time flat.
Did I say fat? You're using the word fat women, and also taking my comment out of context. I'm talking about supposed 'athletic wear clothes' that are so ill fitting I have to see what underwear the person is wearing. Yeah I have yoga pants. Lots of women wear yoga pants, so what?

Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 PM

6,100 posts, read 2,305,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think the comparative would be if men wore yoga pants in public would it be a big deal ?
Agreed, if they wore yoga pants so tight you can see they're free-balling without a shirt long enough to cover their butt and crotch.

And still not quite comparable bc there's not a huge audience of women saying: "no no, let them wear what they want, I like to look at privates every chance I get...jealous?"

Old 04-01-2017, 10:57 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,943,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
It became popular because Madison Ave sold the middle class suburban woman on GYMs. Gyms are big business. They spent millions in ads. If you are middle class professional white collar worker or upper class housewife you are expected to be "healthy". It's all a ploy to make you spend your money on stuff you don't need. Gym membership and active wear. The MadMen are smarter than you........ I'm a man. I will never object to tight female clothes. Period. (Sean Spicer)
some comedian has a joke about why suburban caucasion women love yoga pants because it makes their booty look fat and now they can compete with urban black giris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty